Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good mini/frame pump that will actually pump a road tire above 100psi (one that actually pumps vs. one that's just "rated" to a high psi). I've tried the Topeak road blaster frame pump and that works fine but my LBS can't get the large one in (size 58 frame). What do people here use?

· Registered
11,555 Posts
I like the

Topeak Road Morph. Not mini at 13.5" long, but has bombproof (if ugly) frame attachment clamp, a crude but useful pressure gauge, flexible hose that keeps me from ripping the valves off my tubes, and a flip-out footrest so I can work it like a one-handed floor pump.

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does the roadmorph have a

bottle cage side clamp? Thanks for the posters so far. I narrowed my search parameters from my initial "search". I found lots of posts so I guess I don't need to much more info. Again thanks to all.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
No bottle cage clamp for the Road Morph. There's a plastic strap-on clamp, with the strap long enough to fit all bikes. Once the clamp is in place, you slide the pump into it and it clicks into place. To remove the pump from the clamp, you depress a small plastic tab and slide the pump out. The ugly clamp stays on your top- or seat tube.

It occured to me that the Road Morph could possibly fit into a bottle cage clamp. Outside diameter of the barrel is 23.6 mm. The mechanism that locks the pump into its clamp can easily be removed from the pump barrel.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
wim said:
Topeak Road Morph. Not mini at 13.5" long, but has bombproof (if ugly) frame attachment clamp, a crude but useful pressure gauge, flexible hose that keeps me from ripping the valves off my tubes, and a flip-out footrest so I can work it like a one-handed floor pump.
Definately not "mini", but it is easy to use and reliable. There are pumps that are one-fourth the bulk and weight, but they take a lot longer to fill up your tire. Topeak is supposed to have a smaller version of the Morph pump out this year, but I have not seen it yet.

· Soul Mining
390 Posts
If you want a mini pump that is as diminutive as they come, then go for the Barbieri CarbOne. It's made of carbon fibre and pumps to about 140psi (not that I ever need it to go past 100psi), and it's actually easy to get up to that pressure, not requiring any real grunt work. It will only accept presta valves and it's as bare bones as they come because it doesn't "lock" onto the valve, but it doesn't take much to hold it in place. I am satisfied with mine. It also weighs 59g, if that's important to you.

It attaches to the frame with a sturdy water bottle mount, so there's no need to put it in your jersey pocket.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Second the Blackburn airstick

tobu said:
Blackburn and Zefal are the standard for frame pumps that get to a high pressure. For a mini-pump, I've had good experiences with the blackburn air stick.
I have carried a Blackburn airstick in my back pocket since the day I used all of my CO2 canisters and had to walk the final mile to my house in cycling shoes. It works so well, that even though I carry CO2, I usually just use the airstick when I have a flat.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Third the Blackburn Airstick

MarkS said:
I have carried a Blackburn airstick in my back pocket since the day I used all of my CO2 canisters and had to walk the final mile to my house in cycling shoes. It works so well, that even though I carry CO2, I usually just use the airstick when I have a flat.

It's the only pump I've ever bought, other than my home floor pump, and see no reason to replace it. I've had mine for about 5 years and it's good as gold as a backup to my Co2.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I've got an old Zefal, a beautiful old Silca, a Topeak Roadmorph, and a Road Blaster Frame pump. I keep the Road Morph on my Surly and it works great. The frame pump is on my Masi. While I like both pumps, the Road Morph is my favorite( so I keep it on my commuter bike- don't wanna be late for work!). I won't say the attachment is bomb proof though. I've already broken two, one by overtightening and the other one grabbing the pump instead of my top tube when I picked up the bike one day, but Topeak is johnny on the spot replacing them for me. Great customer support, that was a big reason that my frame pump is made by them as well.

· Registered
507 Posts
I carry a Wrench Force mini road pump. Thin and light, it mounts next to the bottle cage and I can get about 90 lbs or more pretty easily.

· Registered
410 Posts
I have the Topeak Master Blaster. Though it may be alright pumping up mountain bike tires, the same cannot be said for road tires. Unless you're Superman, it's a difficult task. I prefer my Blackburn frame pump! Not only is it easy to pump up to 120, it's also hassle free.

· LOOK lover
625 Posts
Prolly not what you wanna hear, but I never fail to get 100+ with a CO2 unit. Fits in a zippered pouch w/ 3 cartridges, a spare tube, a patch kit, 2 tire levers, minitool, chain tool w/ spare Master link, $10, and a laminated emergency contact info card. The pouch fits neatly in my center back pocket, and I've never come close to being stranded.

· Registered
23 Posts
Speed Master Blaster and Barbieri

It can be (not sure why) hard to find but the Topeak Speed Master Blaster is about the perfect compromise between full frame and true mini pumps. It's over a foot long, but very thin and light and uses water bottle/seat tube clamps. The handle T's out and there is a lock lever on the head. The pump works almost as well as full frame, yet is lighter and less obtrusive. I bought mine at REI for $18. I find it more efficient and easier to use the the Air Stick. The Barbieri carbon is the best of the true mini's. Unlike other similarly sized pumps, it doesn't get impossibly hard once you hit 35-40 psi, though eventually it does get tough to keep pumping. What I do at that point is sit down somewhere, put the tire/valve against the inside of my left knee, then hold the pump handle against my right knee and use my leg to supply the power, Works well and saves the arms. I usually stop around 80psi which is plenty to get me back on the road. The Barbieri is a little gym; barely weighs 2 ounces.

· keep rubber side down
624 Posts
I don't believe in small pumps

It's an old Zephal HP for me. I used it 5 time today -it's me, stew-pid, who did not place the tube and tire properly, always had a bulge popping out... as I can easily put in 110 psi and then some.

And it worked fine and fast, I still had time to do my ride!

Of course, it would not fit very well on a rounder-angled frame (such as some carbon frame like Orbea for example).

By the way, I've had this pump for years, and before, it belonged to a friend who's had many other new pumps since!!!!

I just dont believe in small efficient pumps. It's like an Hybrid SUV... Who are you kidding? You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.