Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of Seven road bikes get posted here (I know...I posted one or two...or maybe 3 if I included DH's). So, I thought I'd show off something a little different.
I recently was on the hunt for a new commuter (see my query about Honey Bikes on this forum). But, I opted to go ti and stick with Seven. So today, I picked up my new commuter - a ti Cafe Racer. I went with a Gateway build - which is somewhat laughable, since I ended up going with other parts anyway, which resulted in several "up charges" to it. :rolleyes: So it's basically a full-on custom.
So here it is...built as a flat bar road bike with disc brakes, a road compact in front (50-34) and a mountain 10-spd in the back (12-32). A Winwood carbon fork, Easton 29'er wheelset, and blue accessories (the fish are reflective) finish it off.
I hope to grow (very) old on this bike, so I figure...amortized over the expected life of the bike...it should be a wash with all those up-charges! :blush2:

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The commute is year-round (except in horrendous weather) - 15 mile round trip, mostly on road, with some MUT, and some curb-hopping. I really like the flat bars for the "heads up" position I get in the city, and want a comfortable ride if I put 32 knobbies on it and did the C&O canal again (multi-day off road touring).
Now that we're losing morning light - the lights and fenders are on it. 28's with reflective sidewalls come next.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No complaints....now.
It seemed to take some time to "break in" - balky shifts were my primary complaint.
But, now that I have a few hundred miles on the drivetrain, it seems to have settled in just fine.
I was - and am - surprised at how I've taken to the 10-spd double tap shifters, too.

· Registered
22 Posts
7rider said:
No complaints....now.
It seemed to take some time to "break in" - balky shifts were my primary complaint.
But, now that I have a few hundred miles on the drivetrain, it seems to have settled in just fine.
I was - and am - surprised at how I've taken to the 10-spd double tap shifters, too.
Thanks for such rapid feedback! Please keep us updated on any further thoughts/experiences that you may encounter. I am kinda torn between Campy Athena and Apex. I am a Campy user (Record-11 on my Axiom) and somewhat reluctant to switch to something different. Cheers!

Edit: Unfortunately, Campy does not seem to make flat bar shifters. : (

· Registered
7 Posts
Great looking bike! Similar in concept to the bike I've been riding around Seattle these past few weeks. That looks like the ultimate commuter/touring "1-less-car" do it all bike. Makes me want to build a nuke-proof commuter....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.