Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of Seven road bikes get posted here (I know...I posted one or two...or maybe 3 if I included DH's). So, I thought I'd show off something a little different.
I recently was on the hunt for a new commuter (see my query about Honey Bikes on this forum). But, I opted to go ti and stick with Seven. So today, I picked up my new commuter - a ti Cafe Racer. I went with a Gateway build - which is somewhat laughable, since I ended up going with other parts anyway, which resulted in several "up charges" to it. :rolleyes: So it's basically a full-on custom.
So here it is...built as a flat bar road bike with disc brakes, a road compact in front (50-34) and a mountain 10-spd in the back (12-32). A Winwood carbon fork, Easton 29'er wheelset, and blue accessories (the fish are reflective) finish it off.
I hope to grow (very) old on this bike, so I figure...amortized over the expected life of the bike...it should be a wash with all those up-charges! :blush2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fantastic commuter! You will get more than your money's worth from that bike. You are always better off getting things the way you want them. Over time, the extra cost will not matter. Are you putting lights on?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The commute is year-round (except in horrendous weather) - 15 mile round trip, mostly on road, with some MUT, and some curb-hopping. I really like the flat bars for the "heads up" position I get in the city, and want a comfortable ride if I put 32 knobbies on it and did the C&O canal again (multi-day off road touring).
Now that we're losing morning light - the lights and fenders are on it. 28's with reflective sidewalls come next.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How are you finding the Apex drivetrain? I am thinking about an Expat S with Apex but have never owned Sram. I would appreciate hearing what your experience is like so far.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No complaints....now.
It seemed to take some time to "break in" - balky shifts were my primary complaint.
But, now that I have a few hundred miles on the drivetrain, it seems to have settled in just fine.
I was - and am - surprised at how I've taken to the 10-spd double tap shifters, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
7rider said:
No complaints....now.
It seemed to take some time to "break in" - balky shifts were my primary complaint.
But, now that I have a few hundred miles on the drivetrain, it seems to have settled in just fine.
I was - and am - surprised at how I've taken to the 10-spd double tap shifters, too.
Thanks for such rapid feedback! Please keep us updated on any further thoughts/experiences that you may encounter. I am kinda torn between Campy Athena and Apex. I am a Campy user (Record-11 on my Axiom) and somewhat reluctant to switch to something different. Cheers!

Edit: Unfortunately, Campy does not seem to make flat bar shifters. : (

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great looking bike! Similar in concept to the bike I've been riding around Seattle these past few weeks. That looks like the ultimate commuter/touring "1-less-car" do it all bike. Makes me want to build a nuke-proof commuter....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.