Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this so am not sure if I'm in the right place. I'm wanting to know what size the cogs are on a 12-25 cassette..OK the first has 12 teeth and the last 25, but what are the ones in between? Perhaps a dummy question but I"d like to know as I'm looking at changing to a 12-27 with my compact crank. Any helplers?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Well, first of all, it depends on the number of speeds in your cassette!

My Campagnolo 10-speed (campy's standard) has 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25.

Generally, with a modern lots-of-gears system you have 1-cog increments for the smallest section (up to 15 to 17 teeth) and 2-gear jumps from there, maybe a 3-gear to the biggest.

Older 5- and 6- speed systems often had similar gear RANGES, which made them much wider spaced!

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Go like this: "One, two, three..."

Unless I'm not following the question, the answer that seems obvious to me is, "Count 'em." If the cassette in question isn't where you can see it, cog sizes are often listed in the catalog, or you could buy it through a bike shop, and count them there. That keeps the shop in business so it's there if you need it, the guys there know who you are if you have an emergency repair and, by the time you pay shipping from some Internet dealer, you probably don't save more than a buck or two. Plus you can ride it out the door rather than waiting a week for it to arrive.

·
Registered
432 Posts
tom millar said:
I'm new to this so am not sure if I'm in the right place. I'm wanting to know what size the cogs are on a 12-25 cassette..OK the first has 12 teeth and the last 25, but what are the ones in between? Perhaps a dummy question but I"d like to know as I'm looking at changing to a 12-27 with my compact crank. Any helplers?
One: go to the shimano site to find out their cog numbers. Two, if not Shimano go to the manufactuerer's site for the cogset.

Sometimes it amazes me that on web boards people ask questions that can be answered easily by making a Google search (or using another engine of your choice) or by just typing in the manufacturer's name of the widget. If you are posting on this board you do have interenet access after all.

This begs the question, for those who tend to post answers to questions people ask, how many of you Google the questions to find the answer, then post the answer?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Insight Driver said:
This begs the question, for those who tend to post answers to questions people ask, how many of you Google the questions to find the answer, then post the answer?
I've never actually googled to find the answer. If I answer it, I tend to know it beforehand (which explains why I answer so few questions :)). However, for a miscellaneous fact, I'll ofteen google it, or if I'm not 100% on something. Or I'll run out and stare at my bike.
-estone2

·
Put the seat down!
551 Posts
Geez, give the guy a break already Insight. :rolleyes: Just answer the question and move on...

I personally want to commend you, Mr. Millar, for taking up the sport of cycling at the age of 67. And a double dose of that for using the internet to learn a little about cycling. Sometimes folks on this board get a little over aggressive at the less experienced folks, not realizing the circumstances that led you here in the first place.

You've got a couple of good options for answering your question here, a few of which were posted in a manner that carried a little less respect than is reasonably expected... Now, enjoy your rides and best of luck with your fight against cancer! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.