Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm looking at buying a road bike (you may have seen some of my other posts) and I'm looking at something around or below $1000, with 105 components or better, and a carbon fork and possibly seatstays. I'd like to commute 15 miles a day and leave room for longer weekend rides. The Fuji Roubaix Pro (05) seems like a good match for me, and I have a local shop willing to sell the bike for $900, which is $400 off msrp.

Was wondering,
1) Any feedback of Fuji? I searched the forums and wasn't sure. Is it considered a respectable brand?
2) Was wondering if I would notice much of a difference between the stock saddle and post (Fuji UltraLite Racing with Cro-Moly Rails, Fuji Superlite Micro Adjust alloy) and a carbon post and a saddle with titanium rails? Is the difference more for comfort or for performance? Basically I am wondering if these components are okay and will definately do the job for me.
3) Are the Alex A-Class ALX 260 wheels going to be good enough (reliable, efficient, etc.)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Some thoughts.

1. Some years ago, Fuji put a serious dent in their reputation by allowing department stores to sell their bikes. They've stopped doing that and are regaining the good will of serious cyclists. This may explain why you get wildly different opinions about Fujis in general. IMHO, Fuji right now makes excellent no-nonsense bikes and sells them at very reasonable prices.

2. Usually, stock seatposts are fine. You would see, but never feel the difference between the stock Fuji post and an expensive, lighter, nicer-looking post. Stock saddles are another matter. Most manufacturers know that saddles are going to be swapped out because people have different butts, so they don't spend a lot of thought or money on that item. You need to try different saddles until you find "yours." Titanium rails are a weight-saving feature only and have little or nothing to do with comfort.

3. Alex ALX 260s are good, reliable wheels that will do the job for you. If your week-end rides become longer and faster, you could start looking for lighter wheels - a change that you will feel immediately.

IMHO, experiment with different saddles, but otherwise leave the Roubaix Pro pretty much as is. If you find yourself chasing other riders down, experiencing great delight in dropping your friends, and perhaps start racing, you'll be looking for another bike sooner than you think.

·
Registered
376 Posts
WIM has it right

I have steered several friends in the same direction. For the price, Fuji bikes are great looking and have component levels of bikes that cost hundreds of dollars more. Everyone I know that has one is very pleased.

If you are a Fred wannabe, then the name probably is a turn off as it doesn't have the bling factor of the higher end bikes. That aside, they are well worth the money and an excellent ride.

As WIM noted, just go stock and worry about spending your money on the contact points, namely your butt, feet, and hands. The only thing to worry about for your hands is the reach to the bars, so make sure they get a stem that is the right length for you. Spend your money on a good saddle that fits your "sit bones" and the pedals you like to ride. You will be all set.

Happy riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts