Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
WrigleyRoadie said:
No beauty shots yet... but a few of the bikes for our vitaminwater-Trek team here in Chicago are starting to trickle in to Trek Bicycles on Michigan Avenue. More photos of this bike and a Madone 6.9 Pro at http://www.burnhamracing.org under "images".
They look awesome don't they. You managed to capture the color on the 5.5. Trek should hire you for their catalogue.

I love my 6.5 Pro, have fun with them and win some races.

zac

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
We need pictures of the whole freaking bike for goodness sake! :mad2:

K Thankz.

You paid full retail?

·
Maybe Next Year
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Additional Pics

Still haven't left the shop with them - waiting to get riders fitted before we tape the bars and send'm on their way.

·
Maybe Next Year
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Additional Additional Pics

Still haven't left the shop with them - waiting to get riders fitted before we tape the bars and send'm on their way.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
DougInRaleigh said:
How much does the 5.5 Pro weight without pedals?

Someone mentioned in previous post that the 5.5 performance weighed just under 17 pounds but i guess that is with pedals and cages.

The 5.5 should be right around 16lbs with pedals and cages.

For reference I have a (56 cm) 6.5 Pro & with full D/A (pedals too) standard cages and double wrapped bars it is 15lbs. 9ozs.

There is a 5.2 Performance on here, not sure the size, with full Ultegra SL and pedals and cages that is 16-4.

Now the 5.5 is the exact same as the 5.2 but the pro is a bit lighter than the performance frame. And the SRAM Force is comparable to D/A in weight. Although the Ultegra SL is too. It's the Bonty crank that kills it.

But I have said this before: These new Madones are almost too light for their stiffness...Naa!

Zac

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi There WR,
Didn't you have an opal not to long ago. I would love to know what difference you feel between the two.

·
Johnstone3
33 Posts
zac said:
The 5.5 should be right around 16lbs with pedals and cages.

For reference I have a (56 cm) 6.5 Pro & with full D/A (pedals too) standard cages and double wrapped bars it is 15lbs. 9ozs.

There is a 5.2 Performance on here, not sure the size, with full Ultegra SL and pedals and cages that is 16-4.

Now the 5.5 is the exact same as the 5.2 but the pro is a bit lighter than the performance frame. And the SRAM Force is comparable to D/A in weight. Although the Ultegra SL is too. It's the Bonty crank that kills it.

But I have said this before: These new Madones are almost too light for their stiffness...Naa!

Zac
Since I already use Dura Ace (9 speed) and like it a lot, I was thinking about getting a 5.5 Performance or other '08 Madone with DA in the next 12 months, but the 5.2 looks like a better value than the 5.5. Trek has a $660 difference in MSRP between the 5.2 and the 5.5. A common price difference between an Ultegra SL 8 piece group and a DA 8 piece group (shifters, calipers, front der, rear der, cassette, chain, crank and bb) is generally 4 to $500. In this case Trek wants $660, which is more than the retail difference, but they are not even giving you an 8 piece DA upgrade---not upgrading the bottom bracket, crank, cassette and chain to DA.

Hmmmm. Decisions. Decisions. Maybe I will consider the 6.5 as well. I currently have a 56cm Trek 5500 with 2008 Race X Lites that weighs in at 17.56 lbs with pedals, carbon cages, computer mount and sensors. Besides getting a smoother ride on a new Madone, I would also like to get the weight down to at least 16 lbs to help justify the decision to buy another bike---although I am fully aware that a pound or two really makes very little difference for performance when all is said and done, and that a nicer ride quality is the significant upgrade. I would swap the '08 Race X Lites off my 5500 for the Race Lites if I get the 5.2 or 5.5, and then send the 5500 with the Race Lites to California for my California bike.

I guess its all good.:D I haven't test ridden the new Madones yet, but it sounds like Trek hit a home run on the performance for these bikes, and that they would likely be a significant upgrade over my OLCV 120 frame---although I still like the 5500 a lot and hope to put another 5,000 miles on it before getting the next one. With that being the case, maybe I will continue to hold off taking the test ride until I am ready to write the check, so I don't know what I am missing.:eek:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
johnstone3 said:
Since I already use Dura Ace (9 speed) and like it a lot, I was thinking about getting a 5.5 Performance or other '08 Madone with DA in the next 12 months, but the 5.2 looks like a better value than the 5.5. Trek has a $660 difference in MSRP between the 5.2 and the 5.5. A common price difference between an Ultegra SL 8 piece group and a DA 8 piece group (shifters, calipers, front der, rear der, cassette, chain, crank and bb) is generally 4 to $500. In this case Trek wants $660, which is more than the retail difference, but they are not even giving you an 8 piece DA upgrade---not upgrading the bottom bracket, crank, cassette and chain to DA.

Hmmmm. Decisions. Decisions. Maybe I will consider the 6.5 as well. I currently have a 56cm Trek 5500 with 2008 Race X Lites that weighs in at 17.56 lbs with pedals, carbon cages, computer mount and sensors. Besides getting a smoother ride on a new Madone, I would also like to get the weight down to at least 16 lbs to help justify the decision to buy another bike---although I am fully aware that a pound or two really makes very little difference for performance when all is said and done, and that a nicer ride quality is the significant upgrade. I would swap the '08 Race X Lites off my 5500 for the Race Lites if I get the 5.2 or 5.5, and then send the 5500 with the Race Lites to California for my California bike.

I guess its all good.:D I haven't test ridden the new Madones yet, but it sounds like Trek hit a home run on the performance for these bikes, and that they would likely be a significant upgrade over my OLCV 120 frame---although I still like the 5500 a lot and hope to put another 5,000 miles on it before getting the next one. With that being the case, maybe I will continue to hold off taking the test ride until I am ready to write the check, so I don't know what I am missing.:eek:

Wait till the frames only are available later this summer. In the mean time, I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. It should be a different ride from the 5500. But I would imagine that you will come away thinking that your 5500 is good to go another couple of seasons.

I think both the 5.2 and 5.5 pro versions offer great value. Especially if you have other wheels laying about. I don't understand Trek's reluctance to offer the performance version in anything other than a compact or a triple. Lots of riders are opting for the performance size frame, but "settling" for the compact crank/chainrings.

zac

·
Johnstone3
33 Posts
zac said:
Wait till the frames only are available later this summer. In the mean time, I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. It should be a different ride from the 5500. But I would imagine that you will come away thinking that your 5500 is good to go another couple of seasons.

I think both the 5.2 and 5.5 pro versions offer great value. Especially if you have other wheels laying about. I don't understand Trek's reluctance to offer the performance version in anything other than a compact or a triple. Lots of riders are opting for the performance size frame, but "settling" for the compact crank/chainrings.

zac
I haven't seen any prices posted for the frames/fuselages, nor am I clear concerning what the frame/fuselage includes. Have you heard prices?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts