Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Maybe Next Year
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No beauty shots yet... but a few of the bikes for our vitaminwater-Trek team here in Chicago are starting to trickle in to Trek Bicycles on Michigan Avenue. More photos of this bike and a Madone 6.9 Pro at http://www.burnhamracing.org under "images".

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
WrigleyRoadie said:
No beauty shots yet... but a few of the bikes for our vitaminwater-Trek team here in Chicago are starting to trickle in to Trek Bicycles on Michigan Avenue. More photos of this bike and a Madone 6.9 Pro at http://www.burnhamracing.org under "images".
They look awesome don't they. You managed to capture the color on the 5.5. Trek should hire you for their catalogue.

I love my 6.5 Pro, have fun with them and win some races.

zac

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
We need pictures of the whole freaking bike for goodness sake! :mad2:

K Thankz.

You paid full retail?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys,

Any ideas how much the Madone 5.5 weighs? I'm wanting to get a bike in the coming months but can't decide between the 5.2 Pro and the 5.5 Pro.

-Stephen

·
Maybe Next Year
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Additional Pics

Still haven't left the shop with them - waiting to get riders fitted before we tape the bars and send'm on their way.

·
Maybe Next Year
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Additional Additional Pics

Still haven't left the shop with them - waiting to get riders fitted before we tape the bars and send'm on their way.

·
Maybe Next Year
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and even more...

I'll keep them coming until you tell me to stop. Haven't taped the bars yet....

·
Registered
28 Posts
How much does the 5.5 pro weigh?

How much does the 5.5 Pro weight without pedals?

Someone mentioned in previous post that the 5.5 performance weighed just under 17 pounds but i guess that is with pedals and cages.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
DougInRaleigh said:
How much does the 5.5 Pro weight without pedals?

Someone mentioned in previous post that the 5.5 performance weighed just under 17 pounds but i guess that is with pedals and cages.

The 5.5 should be right around 16lbs with pedals and cages.

For reference I have a (56 cm) 6.5 Pro & with full D/A (pedals too) standard cages and double wrapped bars it is 15lbs. 9ozs.

There is a 5.2 Performance on here, not sure the size, with full Ultegra SL and pedals and cages that is 16-4.

Now the 5.5 is the exact same as the 5.2 but the pro is a bit lighter than the performance frame. And the SRAM Force is comparable to D/A in weight. Although the Ultegra SL is too. It's the Bonty crank that kills it.

But I have said this before: These new Madones are almost too light for their stiffness...Naa!

Zac

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hi There WR,
Didn't you have an opal not to long ago. I would love to know what difference you feel between the two.

·
Johnstone3
33 Posts
zac said:
The 5.5 should be right around 16lbs with pedals and cages.

For reference I have a (56 cm) 6.5 Pro & with full D/A (pedals too) standard cages and double wrapped bars it is 15lbs. 9ozs.

There is a 5.2 Performance on here, not sure the size, with full Ultegra SL and pedals and cages that is 16-4.

Now the 5.5 is the exact same as the 5.2 but the pro is a bit lighter than the performance frame. And the SRAM Force is comparable to D/A in weight. Although the Ultegra SL is too. It's the Bonty crank that kills it.

But I have said this before: These new Madones are almost too light for their stiffness...Naa!

Zac
Since I already use Dura Ace (9 speed) and like it a lot, I was thinking about getting a 5.5 Performance or other '08 Madone with DA in the next 12 months, but the 5.2 looks like a better value than the 5.5. Trek has a $660 difference in MSRP between the 5.2 and the 5.5. A common price difference between an Ultegra SL 8 piece group and a DA 8 piece group (shifters, calipers, front der, rear der, cassette, chain, crank and bb) is generally 4 to $500. In this case Trek wants $660, which is more than the retail difference, but they are not even giving you an 8 piece DA upgrade---not upgrading the bottom bracket, crank, cassette and chain to DA.

Hmmmm. Decisions. Decisions. Maybe I will consider the 6.5 as well. I currently have a 56cm Trek 5500 with 2008 Race X Lites that weighs in at 17.56 lbs with pedals, carbon cages, computer mount and sensors. Besides getting a smoother ride on a new Madone, I would also like to get the weight down to at least 16 lbs to help justify the decision to buy another bike---although I am fully aware that a pound or two really makes very little difference for performance when all is said and done, and that a nicer ride quality is the significant upgrade. I would swap the '08 Race X Lites off my 5500 for the Race Lites if I get the 5.2 or 5.5, and then send the 5500 with the Race Lites to California for my California bike.

I guess its all good.:D I haven't test ridden the new Madones yet, but it sounds like Trek hit a home run on the performance for these bikes, and that they would likely be a significant upgrade over my OLCV 120 frame---although I still like the 5500 a lot and hope to put another 5,000 miles on it before getting the next one. With that being the case, maybe I will continue to hold off taking the test ride until I am ready to write the check, so I don't know what I am missing.:eek:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
johnstone3 said:
Since I already use Dura Ace (9 speed) and like it a lot, I was thinking about getting a 5.5 Performance or other '08 Madone with DA in the next 12 months, but the 5.2 looks like a better value than the 5.5. Trek has a $660 difference in MSRP between the 5.2 and the 5.5. A common price difference between an Ultegra SL 8 piece group and a DA 8 piece group (shifters, calipers, front der, rear der, cassette, chain, crank and bb) is generally 4 to $500. In this case Trek wants $660, which is more than the retail difference, but they are not even giving you an 8 piece DA upgrade---not upgrading the bottom bracket, crank, cassette and chain to DA.

Hmmmm. Decisions. Decisions. Maybe I will consider the 6.5 as well. I currently have a 56cm Trek 5500 with 2008 Race X Lites that weighs in at 17.56 lbs with pedals, carbon cages, computer mount and sensors. Besides getting a smoother ride on a new Madone, I would also like to get the weight down to at least 16 lbs to help justify the decision to buy another bike---although I am fully aware that a pound or two really makes very little difference for performance when all is said and done, and that a nicer ride quality is the significant upgrade. I would swap the '08 Race X Lites off my 5500 for the Race Lites if I get the 5.2 or 5.5, and then send the 5500 with the Race Lites to California for my California bike.

I guess its all good.:D I haven't test ridden the new Madones yet, but it sounds like Trek hit a home run on the performance for these bikes, and that they would likely be a significant upgrade over my OLCV 120 frame---although I still like the 5500 a lot and hope to put another 5,000 miles on it before getting the next one. With that being the case, maybe I will continue to hold off taking the test ride until I am ready to write the check, so I don't know what I am missing.:eek:

Wait till the frames only are available later this summer. In the mean time, I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. It should be a different ride from the 5500. But I would imagine that you will come away thinking that your 5500 is good to go another couple of seasons.

I think both the 5.2 and 5.5 pro versions offer great value. Especially if you have other wheels laying about. I don't understand Trek's reluctance to offer the performance version in anything other than a compact or a triple. Lots of riders are opting for the performance size frame, but "settling" for the compact crank/chainrings.

zac

·
Johnstone3
33 Posts
zac said:
Wait till the frames only are available later this summer. In the mean time, I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. It should be a different ride from the 5500. But I would imagine that you will come away thinking that your 5500 is good to go another couple of seasons.

I think both the 5.2 and 5.5 pro versions offer great value. Especially if you have other wheels laying about. I don't understand Trek's reluctance to offer the performance version in anything other than a compact or a triple. Lots of riders are opting for the performance size frame, but "settling" for the compact crank/chainrings.

zac
I haven't seen any prices posted for the frames/fuselages, nor am I clear concerning what the frame/fuselage includes. Have you heard prices?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts