Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I need a new cassette. Is it best to stick with campy or go with an aftermarket group? And why do they charge more for 11-23 then 12-23? My LBS told me they have to 'buy' the 11 tooth. But it comes in the box labeled 11-23 and i don't get a spare 12 tooth?!

2. I need a new 10 speed chain. I managed to damage mine in a race sunday. Any recommendations for the standard chain vs. 'ultra'? 20g weight savings but i want to get some millage out of it!

3. Why does a bloody campy 10 speed chain tool cost 100$ Are they just begging people to buy shimano? Is there another chain tool that can work on these narrow chains that don't cost a fortune? Functionality is key here. 10 speed chains are far more fragile then 8,9 speed chains. I need a chain tool that will work properly.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
dfleck said:
1. I need a new cassette. Is it best to stick with campy or go with an aftermarket group? And why do they charge more for 11-23 then 12-23? My LBS told me they have to 'buy' the 11 tooth. But it comes in the box labeled 11-23 and i don't get a spare 12 tooth?!
This is often misunderstood: Campag cassettes which starts with a 12-tooth do not come with a lockring. The lockring for 12-tooth cogs come with the hubs.

However, the lockring for 11-tooth cogs are smaller than the one for the 12-tooth cogs, so if you buy an 11-23 the special, smaller lockring comes with the cassette. Hence you have to pay a little more.

To answer the first question, Campag cassettes last a long time except for the Ti Record cogs, and I've been using Chorus cassettes happily for years. I have also shoved a Shimano wheel / 10-sp Shimano cassette onto my drivetrain, and while it's never has crisp as a full-Campag system it was acceptable to me.

2. I need a new 10 speed chain. I managed to damage mine in a race sunday. Any recommendations for the standard chain vs. 'ultra'? 20g weight savings but i want to get some millage out of it!
Some people report success with Shimano chains. I have not used the ultra chains, so I can't comment.

3. Why does a bloody campy 10 speed chain tool cost 100$ Are they just begging people to buy shimano? Is there another chain tool that can work on these narrow chains that don't cost a fortune? Functionality is key here. 10 speed chains are far more fragile then 8,9 speed chains. I need a chain tool that will work properly.
You don't need a special chain tool, I have been using the standard Pedro's chain tool without any problems. The Campag chain tool has a special device to hold the guide pin, I think, but if you are a decent mechanic you can do without it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.