Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My training scheduale has been something like this for the past two weeks:

~ 115 mi over 4 days - 1 interval day (tues) 1 flat higher speed day (wed) 1 long hilly ride (thus) and 1 easy day (fri) to loosen the legs going into races sat and sun, with mon off.

I spend about 5 hours training a week.

As the season is ending for me in a week or so, I want to know how I should ajust my training scheduale. I am only going to be racing once a week, occasioanlly twice. I also want to bump up my mileage, and get faster and better. Im new to cycling remember. My races would be tues and either sat or sun.

I was thinking - easy ride mon, race tues, long hilly ride wed, interval thus, easy day fri, race sat, recovery long sunday....is this about right?

also how much should i be increasing my time/mileage per week?

thanks....josh

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
CC09 said:
My training scheduale has been something like this for the past two weeks:

~ 115 mi over 4 days - 1 interval day (tues) 1 flat higher speed day (wed) 1 long hilly ride (thus) and 1 easy day (fri) to loosen the legs going into races sat and sun, with mon off.

I spend about 5 hours training a week.

As the season is ending for me in a week or so, I want to know how I should ajust my training scheduale. I am only going to be racing once a week, occasioanlly twice. I also want to bump up my mileage, and get faster and better. Im new to cycling remember. My races would be tues and either sat or sun.

I was thinking - easy ride mon, race tues, long hilly ride wed, interval thus, easy day fri, race sat, recovery long sunday....is this about right?

also how much should i be increasing my time/mileage per week?

thanks....josh
How old are you? You're pretty young, aren't you? Younger guys can recover better, but I still think that you're doing too much.
You need to adjust your intensity and your recovery so that you can give the intensity its due and have time to recover. Self-evident, but blown by almost every new rider.
One common mistake -- forgetting that a race counts as a hard workout.
You've got a race, a long hilly ride, and an interval day strung together. And then another race. And then a long "recovery" ride.
Too much, too much. You may be able to do it for awhile, but you'll likely burn out. Some people have preternatural recovery abilities, but that's a lot.
There is, btw, no such thing as a long recovery ride. Recovery rides are short -- half hour to forty five minutes. Okay, an hour maybe, but lolling along. CRAWLING.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Maybe I've got it all fubared.

My "recovery rides" are indeed high cadence, easy spinning, but they're like 90 minutes. And, yeah, they're not as "crawling" as ya might like.

CC09, you're a collegiate racer, too, right?

In your first season of training, though, I think most important of all is just to get those miles in, put the rubber to the road, and build up the endurance base that'll make the next year work out.

I pretended to try to do "hill intervals" or something in my first season, you know, timed, specific periods, and it was a JOKE. I couldn't go up them for crap. I stopped the organization and just tried to make sure I hit the hills most days. Simply riding up them took enough effort at that point that I got faster quite a bit.

I remember last year that getting out of my saddle for 10 pedal revs made my legs burn with acid, and this one particular 2-mile climb I averaged about 10mph on. Now I can go up 2 miles without sitting once, if I felt like it, and average 14 mph on the same climb.

That's friggin' progress! I'm sure you'll do the same thing. Just keep plugging and forget the specifics for now.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
This is my story and I'm sticking to it --
We hosted some Jelly Belly riders about a year ago, here for an NRC race in Arlington. At that point in the season, they were racing a couple of days a week (probably 3-5) and doing recovery rides. When they got to town, they asked us to show then a route of about an hour. We went with them, and they CRAWLED. CRAWLED.
A recovery ride is to keep the blood flowing. Period. There is no other training purpose. If you are any more than a little dewey from exertion, if you couldn't sing the Star-Spangled Banner at any point in the ride, if you miss more than one hour of Real World, you did too much. You may not otherwise have enough training volume through your routine to have compromised your training by it, but it's not a recovery ride.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - yes im young - yes im a collegiate racer, but im gonna be racing this summer on my own.
I get the point of recovery rides from my running days - super super slow - we are talking like sub 15 mph avg's, on mostly flat terrain. High cadence, but super low gearing. Same deal for pre-race days.
I know I need to just get out and ride as much as possible, I was just thinking there may be a better way to do it, but I guess not. If I count races as hard training, 2 races a week, 1 interval or hill day as well, but spread it out and do recovery rides on the days in between, how would that be?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
CC09 said:
Thanks guys - yes im young - yes im a collegiate racer, but im gonna be racing this summer on my own.
I get the point of recovery rides from my running days - super super slow - we are talking like sub 15 mph avg's, on mostly flat terrain. High cadence, but super low gearing. Same deal for pre-race days.
I know I need to just get out and ride as much as possible, I was just thinking there may be a better way to do it, but I guess not. If I count races as hard training, 2 races a week, 1 interval or hill day as well, but spread it out and do recovery rides on the days in between, how would that be?
What are your goals?

If you want to do the best possible in regionals, you should start tapering in that final week. If you want to continue to build fitness for racing this summer, and these races aren't that important, then you should continue training through these events.

Give us a goals update and we can give you better advice. Your current schedule seems quite reasonable for working through races. But it won't have you at 100% for regionals. Like most new to serious racing/training, you probably overdo the recovery rides. Having a HR monitor can help, does your club have any you could borrow to get a better sense of a recovery pace?

Silas

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im working through races for sure. I just started cycling about 350 miles ago, 3-4 weeks. I don't care about regionals and probably wont go. I have 1 more race (2 if i go to easterns) for collegiate, but i want to focus on early summer racing (june). Possibily continuing to race through august though. Really I just want to be fast for next year...

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
CC09 said:
im working through races for sure. I just started cycling about 350 miles ago, 3-4 weeks. I don't care about regionals and probably wont go. I have 1 more race (2 if i go to easterns) for collegiate, but i want to focus on early summer racing (june). Possibily continuing to race through august though. Really I just want to be fast for next year...
How about this:

monday - hour recovery ride:
tuesday - race/group ride
wednesday - long tempo ride
thursday - recovery ride
friday - 1.5 hours of easy with some brief intervals
saturday - race/group ride
sunday - race/group ride

Every 4th week take out the racing and take 2 days off the bike. Maybe the week after UNH get a recovery week in. (you should go, I think it's the best RR course all year, and it's a short drive for you)

If you have more time in the summer and no races lined up, make the weekend rides long. 4-5 hours of tempo with some threshold efforts mixed in.

Silas

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
easterns isnt at unh this year, its at cornell.......

ill try that out. i should have much more time in the summer, but thats when im gonna start racing tues nights and 1 day over the weekend most likely.....

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
CC09 said:
easterns isnt at unh this year, its at cornell.......

ill try that out. i should have much more time in the summer, but thats when im gonna start racing tues nights and 1 day over the weekend most likely.....
Right, I knew that actually....brain fart.

Cornell is supposed to have good riding in that area...but that's a long ass drive from colby.

Silas

·
Registered
37 Posts
CC09 said:
Holy SMIT! You been riding 4 weeks? Just go ride dude. Hit the local hammerfest and ride hard till you get dropped. HAVE FUN! Don't overdo it! If you want to ensure your good fitness next year, keep your weight in check and ride alot. Race when you can and do the racer type group rides. You'll be ok. This training BS is for old guys with $10k TT bikes and 70 min 40 k's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts