Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Old and busted: Scallops wrapped in bacon.
New hotness: Bacon wrapped in scallop (with a garlic breading).

Having a party soon so I'm messing around with hors d'oeuvres.
Anyone got a garlic white sauce recipe? I'm thinking these need to be on a bed of garlic rice with a couple stripes of garlicy sauce.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dont use recipes but

firstrax said:

Anyone got a garlic white sauce recipe? I'm thinking these need to be on a bed of garlic rice with a couple stripes of garlicy sauce.

keep it ultra simple. get a nice light citrusy white wine, one youd be willing to drink. not a chard, I'd recommend sauvignon blanc, one that's not too overpowering. do a reduction with that, clarified butter and garlic. you dont want to overpower the scallops, theyre pretty delicate.

looks good, thanks for the idea. I need to go shopping but im broke. spent 2 hours in the er yesterday getting infected road rash scrubbed out. I got sick from it. lfr is probably gonna be a smartass and tell me 'i told you so' when she sees this.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
Not a recipe, but a method. With many options.

I don't think you want to go with garlic. That would be too strong for scallops in my opinion. I would go with shallots instead which gives you some of the taste of garlic but without the intense and dominating flavor.

Mince some scallops very fine and give them a slow sweat in butter. Add some white wine (sav blac would be my choice) for some acid and reduce to almost dry. At this stage you could thow in some bourbon (which goes well with bacon and scallops). Flambe or not. Then throw in some cream and reduce by half. For a finer sauce, strain at this point, for a more rustic sauce leave the shallots in the sauce. Take off the heat and finish with a bit of cold butter whisked in to thicken a bit more.

If you want to add some herbs, a bit of fresh tarragon would be good right before adding the cream. I love tarragon with seafood. Don't use dried, it ain't the same.

If you insist on garlic, roast it first (whole) to give it mellow sweetness, then mash it into the cream. But skip the bourbon if you do, that would be too many dark flavors, imo.

You can also use some lemon zest in the sauce if you want, for a bit of additional flavor layering.

You might also consider blanching the bacon a bit before using it, just to cut back the smoke to a hint.

Looks like a winner to me, btw. Very nice looking scallops!

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
That looks good, and I don't like scallops.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
dr hoo said:
If you want to add some herbs, a bit of fresh tarragon would be good right before adding the cream. I love tarragon with seafood. Don't use dried, it ain't the same.
Scallops with a little bernaise are quite yummy.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
firstrax said:

Looks tasty. As a scallop lover, I gotta agree with Hoo, especially if the scallops are fresh and sweet.

BTW: The smiley face on the one at the top left is kind creepy.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to try again with the hoo sauce. It sounds wonderfull. I'm also switching the bacon for Prosciutto.
But the garlic is going in. These are New Hampshire free range dry sea scallops. Not the bay scallops we export. Much stronger flavor (but shade less sweet). I get them right at the dock only hours old.
Right now I'm torn between pasta or rice.
Might also get Radar a pet lobster.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,207 Posts
firstrax said:
I'm going to try again with the hoo sauce. It sounds wonderfull. I'm also switching the bacon for Prosciutto.

Good call on the prosciutto.

Make sure that when you sweat the shallots there is no/minimal liquid fat left in the pan. It makes the sauce come together better.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,349 Posts
You guys were all metro back when they just called it gay, huh? ;)

Seriously, I envy people who put thought into cooking. Me, I'm just trying to make a turd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts