Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
That depends on a lot of things. How strong are you, which glue or tape did you use, which tire, etc.?

If you are talking about changing the flat at the side of the road, and therefore not gluing up the spare, the procedure is to rip off the old tire and stretch a new one on. So, maybe 5 minutes or so. But I'm not at all experienced since I've gotten so few flats. Old timers can do it so fast it would make your head spin. One minute is doable.

If you're using Tufo tires, you can always squirt some sealant in there and be up and running without having to remove the tire at all. I've been experimenting with different sealants for non-Tufo tires as I've had uneven results with Tufo's sealant. The problem is I've not had many opportunities to try it, and I hope to keep it that way.

Paul

MPH74 said:
how long does it take fix a flat on a tubular tire for an average cyclist (i.e., not a mechanic but rather a cyclist just beginning to use tubulars). i assume it takes a lot longer than fixing a clincher flat - 5-8 minutes if you patch and 2-3 minutes if you just use a new tube. thanks.

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
I got a flat on one tire after 125 miles. A piece of glass slashed it through and through. Basically, the tire was trashed. But since then, I've gotten over 4,000 miles on one pair of tires with no flats at all (Conti Comps).

There's a place in Florida, I think, that will repair tubulars for $15 if you send in more than one. I had planned to do that but I still only have the one. They charge $20 for single tires. They put in a new tube and pay for return shipping, but I think I spent about $40 for the tire (last year before the dollar jumped off a building).

Here's the link:

http://tirealert.com/

I live and ride in NYC so, except maybe for the southwest with their thorns, I don't think most people should have to worry too much about getting flats.

Paul

MPH74 said:
thanks very much. how long does it take to fix the flat. let's say you have a $60 new tubular with a gash... how do you fix that other that sealant (hole too big for sealant)? can you patch it up from the inside. do you unsew it and fix it and then resew? what is the procedure to fix the hole and how long does that take? thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.