Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my first ride report and attempt at taking pics while on the bike. I'll give you one guess as to which photos were taken while riding, and which I actually stopped to frame up. :) Hopefully that's something that will improve with practice.

These were taken at White Rock Creek Trail and White Rock Lake in Dallas, TX. The creek trail starts right at the north edge of I-635, goes south to the lake (about 7 miles), and there is about a 10 mile loop around the lake.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I'd be able to add captions below each pic, but somehow messed that up. So, from top to bottom:

the first couple are from the creek trail
the next two are a low water crossing and the view of a (train?) bridge from it
a view of the lake
Dallas Police training horses
kids on horses
a sail boat race on the lake
cars and bikes peacefully existing under the glare of the Texas sun

I was hoping to not propogate the myth that we all rode horses to work and school here, but they seemed to be out that day.

Some weeks back, I was riding along the trail when a girl on a horse said "Wanna race?" I think the horse won, but I had a big stupid grin on my face the rest of the day (even after I had been told I was beat by a Morgan pony, not a horse). There's nothing like having such a graceful animal running maybe 10 feet away along side you. Definitely a cool experience.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
qwertzy said:
That's great you get some space from the cars. It usualy takes a cycle path to get that round here.

I'll have to try that "shooting from the saddle":D
The shots weren't blurry at all.

The cars around White Rock Lake pretty much have to play nice because there are so many cyclists. I've had pretty good experiences riding in Dallas in general: cars will give me most (if not all) of my lane, and I usually feel pretty safe. I get the occasional honk, but I think most of them are of the "hey look it's a guy on a bike" honks (i've seen people wave afterward), as opposed to the few "hey look at this jerk in my way" honks I've had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.