Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small studio condo. I have a singlespeed commuter, a mid-level Aluminum Scattante for the trainer, and an Orbea Orca.

The only bike I really ride to train outside is the Orca. I ride about 10-12 hours a week. I'm thinking of another carbon bike (Ridley Excaliber) for training. Just to mix things up and make it easier to spend alot of time on the seat.
 

·
Yo no fui.
Joined
·
8,486 Posts
Get ride of the mid-level Aluminum Scattante and buy tire levers and the Conti trainer tire instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pablo said:
Get ride of the mid-level Aluminum Scattante and buy tire levers and the Conti trainer tire instead.
you'd put a carbon bike on the trainer? the LBS says horror stories about it.

and they said if i race crits, i'll want a metal bike to handle wipe outs.
 

·
Yo no fui.
Joined
·
8,486 Posts
You can't put carbon bikes on a trainer? What?

I don't know what's more lame, carbon bikes, crits, or trainers. Get rollers.

I'm clearly not the one thta should be responding to this thread.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
rsosborn said:
you'd put a carbon bike on the trainer? the LBS says horror stories about it.

and they said if i race crits, i'll want a metal bike to handle wipe outs.
If that's the case, then I'm ufcked!

The trainer thing is a non-issue as long as you've got it set up right. Same with crits- learn how to handle a bike and stay away from those who can't.

As for being able to spend a lot of time in the seat- get the right saddle and a good fit. You can ride forever on the same bike!

Edit: Rollers are good, too. I like having the option of both, but not everyone is so lucky
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
This is an "Old Wives Tale" from the days when trainers would clamp onto the bottom bracket and fork tips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrea138 said:
Edit: Rollers are good, too. I like having the option of both, but not everyone is so lucky
i had rollers. it's good, but in a studio apt it's hard to get up leaning on
one small spot of wall. and if you tip you take the lamp, the plasma tv, down with you.

my trainer is fine. i wind out an hour with no worries.

the shop said "bad things would happen" putting the orbea on a trainer. the aluminum frame flexes. but i'm sure bikes do that on the road. you can't spend ten minutes looking to watch it happen.

i don't mind tire wear. but you've had a $5k carbon bike on a trainer? for how long?
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
rsosborn said:
i don't mind tire wear. but you've had a $5k carbon bike on a trainer? for how long?
I used a dedicated rear wheel/old tire, but yeah, I rode mine on the trainer all last winter if the weather sucked or if it got dark before I could get outside. If I had to guess, I'd say about 60 hours total.

I also ride it for nearly an hour before most of my crits. That's another 10 or so since race season started.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
rsosborn said:
I live in a small studio condo. I have a singlespeed commuter, a mid-level Aluminum Scattante for the trainer, and an Orbea Orca.

The only bike I really ride to train outside is the Orca. I ride about 10-12 hours a week. I'm thinking of another carbon bike (Ridley Excaliber) for training. Just to mix things up and make it easier to spend alot of time on the seat.
Keep the aluminum bike for the trainer. I always found the time really added up mounting my main bike on the trainer, changing the wheel etc, etc.

You have a storage problem, not a bike problem. :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
270 Posts
Andrea138 said:
Same with crits- learn how to handle a bike and stay away from those who can't.
Thats a pretty dumb statement from a person who actually races . The best riders in the biggest races go down . It has nothing to do with being able to handle a bike , or the other riders abilty to due so . Almost as dumb as what his LBS told him . If he can't afford to or want to replace a bike, should he go down hard in a race , then mabye he can't afford the price risk of racing his bike . A steel bike can get just as trashed in a wreck as Carbon .Please tell me a pro who hasn't totaled a bike .. Your better then that Andrea
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
PinarelloFan said:
Thats a pretty dumb statement from a person who actually races . The best riders in the biggest races go down . It has nothing to do with being able to handle a bike , or the other riders abilty to due so . Almost as dumb as what his LBS told him . If he can't afford to or want to replace a bike, should he go down hard in a race , then mabye he can't afford the price risk of racing his bike . A steel bike can get just as trashed in a wreck as Carbon .Please tell me a pro who hasn't totaled a bike .. Your better then that Andrea
WTF? I'm just trying to make a point that crits aren't necessarily crash-fests as his LBS made them out to be. I'm well-aware that any bike can get totaled in a wreck. I'm also aware that anyone can get into a wreck, but you can help by trying to avoid causing or getting caught in one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PinarelloFan said:
If your living in a studio , you can't afford a 4th bike. I don't care if it's NYC at 3000 a month in a box....
well, the singlespeed sits down in "the bike room". so that helps.

but i love hearing i don't have to keep the aluminum ride. that'll make life
alot better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Andrea138 said:
WTF? I'm just trying to make a point that crits aren't necessarily crash-fests as his LBS made them out to be. I'm well-aware that any bike can get totaled in a wreck. I'm also aware that anyone can get into a wreck, but you can help by trying to avoid causing or getting caught in one.
and are there guys that crit carbon bikes? i didn't want to be the only one on one and the crowd is guys with down-low steel and cro-mo rides perfect for racing.
 

·
Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
rsosborn said:
and are there guys that crit carbon bikes? i didn't want to be the only one on one and the crowd is guys with down-low steel and cro-mo rides perfect for racing.
In the categories w/more beginners (cat 5 & cat 4), you'll see all types of frame materials- carbon included. As you start to move towards cat 1/2, more riders have sponsorships and/or are more willing to drop more $$ on a carbon frame.

Any frame material is fine for racing as long as you're comfortable on it and realize that yes, you could wreck and kill it.

//you can wreck you bike in any situation, though. I've had more close calls on group rides w/inexperienced pack handlers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Andrea138 said:
In the categories w/more beginners (cat 5 & cat 4), you'll see all types of frame materials- carbon included. As you start to move towards cat 1/2, more riders have sponsorships and/or are more willing to drop more $$ on a carbon frame.

Any frame material is fine for racing as long as you're comfortable on it and realize that yes, you could wreck and kill it.

//you can wreck you bike in any situation, though. I've had more close calls on group rides w/inexperienced pack handlers

then it sounds like a need to worry more about good optics and tire grip,
than frame material.

thanks for the info.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top