Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I gotta lotta pics and not a ton of time to post 'em. I'm just gonna kind of dump 'em all in here in categories. Feel free to ask questions about any of 'em. See if you can tell which ones I photoshopped (har har).

I went for a 2 hour ride with my Nikon D70 on Sunday. Doing this means using a prime lens for lightweight and ease of carrying. The camera body with my 50mm f/1.8 is light, small and rides surprisingly well just slung messenger-style over my shoulder, resting in between my shoulder blades.

First up, spring flowers. I've never seen lilacs like the ones that grow out here. There's one section of the Teller Farms open space that has a lilac hedge for about 1/4 mile. smells pretty darn good this time of year. Sure it's a desert here but these things get to be the size of trees. big trees.

Spring on the front range is miraculous. It literally happens overnight. Ten days ago everything around here was flat brown like the dead of winter. The apple trees and cherry blossoms appear like magic.

o yea and everyone's favourite lawn ornaments, too...

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
birds of a feather

I saw at least a half dozen different raptors, but only got close enough to take a (craptastic) photo of one. This is the drawback of shooting prime: one must zoom with shank's mare. Not that I'm complaining. The 50mm f/1.8 is a fast, sharp little lens, and for most things it's awesome.

This is one of the trademark raptors of the Front Range, a Swainson's hawk. the magpie was hassling him. I tried to get closer but he just screamed at me and flew away. Typical male.

One of my favourite signs of spring are the western meadowlarks. Their song is distinctive, completely inimitable and one of the first signs of spring. Often I will see these guys staking out their fenceposts in the midst of February sleet storms. They're quite bold, and this guy's only response to me getting pretty darned close was to just sing louder. showoff.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pasture sentinels

I love the old shaggy cottonwood trees out here. I've made quite a collection of photos of them in their varying states of disarray.

At yarble's request I ran my faux-lomo recipe on the one shot. I prefer the full colour capture but if you're interested in how to do this, it's quite simple and I can post a PS 7 workflow for ya.

and of course one cannot post a Colorado pictorial tour without some aspens being included. This shot is actually a Stylus shot from awhile back, but it fits the theme.

I usually don't like to cook my stuff heavily in photoshop. However when an otherwise interesting shot gets somehow blown (white balance is off, highlights blown, something else fundamentally wrong with it), or it's just a pretty banal shot (honestly the aspens shot was pretty boring) sometimes this treatment can wake it up a bit.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pasture denizens

another sign of spring is all the little animals following the big animals around.

o yea I saw a huge flat rattlesnake out on 36 too, but it was in the middle of the highway and there was too much traffic to get a good shot of it. nasty beyond nasty. those things are stanky.

The horses were in a pasture across the street from the telecommunications array I shot for the next post. The cows are just everywhere out here. The calf was performing quite a nice little mini-rodeo before I got off the bike, then of course she got all performance shy when I snapped her pic.

The cradle fence is an interesting solution for the extremely high winds we have out here. Most people don't bother with the traditional board fences mostly cos there's limited supply of lumber, but another reason is they'll get blown flat in the chinooks. The cradle fence is at least a little stouter solution, tho you'll see they still run an electric strand along it to keep the occupants where they oughter be.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
big brother is listening

Some of you already saw some of these photos in my 'big brother' post in the Lounge. but since there's not so much crossover traffic between the lounge and the rest of the world these days, I figured I'd be a little redundant.

I liked these radio antennae. They're pretty darned cool. o and if you look really close on the top of the staircase in the first pic, you can see two technicians heading out to the lower one. I rode round to the other side to shoot the other view, and it required hiking out thru a (I'm positive) rattlesnake-infested field. yuk. anyways, I was mega paranoid, cos snakes are fackin' everywhere in spring, and feeling rather snakity, too. Fortunately I think it was a little chilly for major reptile action on Sunday.

snakes aside, I shot a bunch of captures of these, and the whole time they were repositioning the lower dish. you could hear the motors chugging along. cool stuff.

//edit: ooo and that staircase and the mesh in those dishes was a perfect chance for me to check out the 100% crops of my original capture for the most famous D70 urban legend, the much-maligned and oft parodied 'moire effect'. yea right... like I'd bother. I mean there were otherwise rational sounding people who beat this topic to an absolutely bloody indistiguishable mass, then used it as literally their only rationale to not get a D70/D70s body. what do they do, shoot fabric samples all day? some of the characters on dpreview seriously need to get laid. I mean they're worse than the nutbags in the weight weenies forum here...

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and because this is a CYCLING forum, afterall

I thought I'd close with some bike related action. I did this ride on my Colnago roadie (and yes, I rode it down those dirt roads, and yes, I had my Eurus on. relax, nobody got hurt).

The shot of the 'nag was taken with the Stylus, on the same day I shot the aspens, but it's my main (geared) ride.

I stopped and camped out on top of the tunnel on U.S. 36 where the Foothills MTB trail runs under the highway. Got a couple decent shots of this kid - he was flat hauling, too. The lomo-ised one is cos I missed the framing, but I thought the shadow made a nice subject.

now get off the daggone computer and go ride your bikes!

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Nice collections

I like how you put everything together into collections/themes. You're giving the photo veterans here a run for their money. Keep up the great work.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Nice pictures. I too am attracted to trees. I love a big old tree standing by itself.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Great pics Lone. Similiar to the stuff out here with all the cottonwoods and lilacs and what not. Really nice stuff.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
I love the old shaggy cottonwood trees out here.
They are doing a number on my nose though this spring--that damn cotton is everywhere!

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
I thought I'd close with some bike related action. I did this ride on my Colnago roadie (and yes, I rode it down those dirt roads, and yes, I had my Eurus on. relax, nobody got hurt).
Was that the path near the rez that dumps out at Neva rd? I rode that on the MXL the other day from Neva back to Boulder and it was super hard packed and a relatively easy ride.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Was that the path near the rez that dumps out at Neva rd?
no that was not on the Left Hand singletrack, which is what you're referring to. the photo of the MTB'ers was taken at the underpass on 36 that runs out to Boulder Valley Ranch. I personally rode 36 north out to St. Vrain, then cut over on 49th street (?) to Nelson, which they're tearing the crap out of currently, then dog-legged over to 51st (dunno, the one that parallels the canal, that they ran the old Roubaix course on) to shoot the telecom array. then I followed the old Roubaix course back up to whateverthatis / 49th / Oxford... etc. and jogged back over to 63rd, then home.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
racerx said:
You're giving the photo veterans here a run for their money. Keep up the great work.
uhhh... yeah. thanks, seriously but keep in mind that:

a) I've shot exactly three rolls of actual film in my life and
b) I've been shooting with an slr since 6th December.

the photog veterans on here have nothing to fear. afterall it's not like it's a competition or anything.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MN Dan said:
Lets see some shots while riding too.
ok deal. but only if you take your $1500 worth of digital SLR body and optics out on dirt roads and shoot with it whilst in motion too... :p

there were 2 shots in this collection that were actually taken in motion, the lomo-ised sepia cows/trees shot with the (obvious) natural motion blur, and the sepia aspens.

I reserve silly one-handed / no-handed acrobatic photography stunts for the point-and-shoot. afterall it has a far better chance of survival if I drop it, plus it's about a fifth the cost to replace.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Zaurusman said:
Are those Aspens in the last tree photo?
Thanks Z!! indeed those are aspen trees.

oh and btw if you want to try the faux-lomo recipe, I might as well just go ahead and post a link to my original thread with the CU criterium shots on that I stuck the faux-lomo photoshop workflow in. it's somewhere down towards the bottom of the thread.

Enjoy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.