Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and if this can be answered in a book, such as the Park book or Lennard Zinn's book, just say so. So what is my question? I used to be a bike mechanic, but that was back in the 70s. I'm real good at truing wheels, replacing brake pads, tire and tube maintenance, chain lubing, replacement, and maintenance, and all that kind of stuff. But I come from an era where once a year (or sooner, if needed), you took everything apart, including BB and wheel hubs, replaced the bearings, regreased all, and reassembled and readjusted all of the above.

So what happens with all the new style BBs, headsets, wheel hubs, and so forth, that (I think) have sealed bearings and pretty much stay in adjustment...again, I think they do! I'm not opposed to subcontracting all this good stuff out to my LBS, if that's the best method, but I've got a good bike stand, I'm not shy about buying more tools, if needed, and I prefer to do my own maintenance, if possible.

Thoughts, anyone? And here, I'm thinking of Kerry Irons, C-40, and the like, but all are welcome!

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
With cartridge BB brgs, the days of overhauls are over. Just ride 'em until they wear out. If your wheels have cartridge brgs, it's the same. I don't know about campy, but my Shimano hubs with ball brgs have tens of thousands of miles on them and are still in perfect shape.
I did the same thing back in the 80's..Hubs, once a year. BB's twice a year. Hub sealing has improved 1000%.

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks much...

MR_GRUMPY said:
With cartridge BB brgs, the days of overhauls are over. Just ride 'em until they wear out. If your wheels have cartridge brgs, it's the same. I don't know about campy, but my Shimano hubs with ball brgs have tens of thousands of miles on them and are still in perfect shape.
I did the same thing back in the 80's..Hubs, once a year. BB's twice a year. Hub sealing has improved 1000%.
...for your help. That's pretty much what I thought, so that's what I'll do: maintain the stuff I can get my hands on and that I know needs it, and treat the rest of it as a bunch of FRUs (Field Replaceable Units)...

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
SkiRacer55 said:
...and if this can be answered in a book, such as the Park book or Lennard Zinn's book, just say so.
So.

(Sorry, somebody had to do it.)

Seriously, what's discussed above is all there is too it. Some folks pry out seals and regrease, but they're usually causing more trouble than they're saving. Good bearings are cheap, and great bearings are very reasonable. But do pay attention to the instructions. Most complaints about rough or short-lived bearings are a result of adjusting preload badly.

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I don't know squat...

danl1 said:
So.

(Sorry, somebody had to do it.)

Seriously, what's discussed above is all there is too it. Some folks pry out seals and regrease, but they're usually causing more trouble than they're saving. Good bearings are cheap, and great bearings are very reasonable. But do pay attention to the instructions. Most complaints about rough or short-lived bearings are a result of adjusting preload badly.
...about adjusting preload, whenever all my sealed goodies do go south, my LBS is going to get the call to replace and preload same...

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Not quite

MR_GRUMPY said:
With cartridge BB brgs, the days of overhauls are over. Just ride 'em until they wear out.
The problem with this approach can be that the BB threads seize in the frame, etc. Even with sealed components, if you want them to really last, it makes sense to take things apart once per year (or so) and clean and grease all metal to metal contact surfaces, especially threads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.