Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pressure Washer??

Hello,

I've been using a product called Speed DeGreaser for about 2 years to clean up my bike. It basically dissolves everything that is not metal and I can spray it all down once it's done it's work, leaves the components very clean and then I just lube the necessary areas again.

I unfortunately do not have access to a garden hose anymore to do the rinse portion. I was thinking of going to the coin car wash down the street to use the pressure washer...

I know this is a "no no" in the bike world, but really can it hurt that bad?? If spray from a distance and avoid the headset and bottom bracket area, will it be ok??

Who has experience with this?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
How about filling up a watering can and rinsing?

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you're just cleaning the frame and not the drive train, try using Pledge furniture polish. I actually use the cheap stuff from the Dollar store. It works wonderfully and leaves your paint with a nice waxed finish!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Pressurized water is going to force grit past your bearing seals. I never use it.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
What are you lubing with that requires a degreaser which dissolves everything that is not metal, and a pressure washer? :eek: :confused:
Many of us just take a rag with some OMS and wipe down the chain every couple rides. And floss the cassette with a rag as required. It's really that simple.

As far as the rest of the bike, if I really had to, I could put down a tarp in my living room and wash down the bike with a bucket and sponge with little mess.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
You don't have a friend with a house/hose?

I assume you're living in some kind of apartment building -- what about the maintence guys? Maybe you could charm them into letting you use a hose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are you lubing with that requires a degreaser which dissolves everything that is not metal, and a pressure washer? :eek: :confused:
Many of us just take a rag with some OMS and wipe down the chain every couple rides. And floss the cassette with a rag as required. It's really that simple.

As far as the rest of the bike, if I really had to, I could put down a tarp in my living room and wash down the bike with a bucket and sponge with little mess.
Oh boy, I can just imagine the look on my wife's face if I attempted that in the living room.

I spray all the drive train down with Speed Degreaser. Anything dirt, grime, chain lube etc basically wipes or rinses right off with the garden hose with a little bit of thumb pressure after it's had 10-15 minutes to set. All that's left is almost brand new looking components. I then lube the chainwith some chain lube and philwood on a couple spots on the derailleurs. I've been using this method for a couple years and works well.

I've moved, and I live in an apartment building without a hose outside so I'm trying to find a better way to clean everything down, was hoping a pressure washer at the car wash would do the trick. Maybe if I just use the gentle pre-soak setting....

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Oh boy, I can just imagine the look on my wife's face if I attempted that in the living room.
Well you could still use a bucket and sponge for washing the bike outside. A hose is not required.

I spray all the drive train down with Speed Degreaser. Anything dirt, grime, chain lube etc basically wipes or rinses right off with the garden hose with a little bit of thumb pressure after it's had 10-15 minutes to set. All that's left is almost brand new looking components. I then lube the chainwith some chain lube and philwood on a couple spots on the derailleurs. I've been using this method for a couple years and works well.
Ok, if you think that "works well". But there are much easier and faster methods that work well, if not better.
I can clean my chain in 2min with no mess. And once in a while my cassette in 5 min. I think that works well.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I think I need something with a little more pressure.
You don't need pressure, I'm using WD40 Bike degreaser for the drive train and soap and water for the frame.
With a hose set on a shower setting.
A watering can will work to rinse off the soap and degreaser.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I know this is a "no no" in the bike world, but really can it hurt that bad?? If spray from a distance and avoid the headset and bottom bracket area, will it be ok??
Maybe, maybe not. What I can say for sure is if you don't completely strip your bike of grease it will definitely be okay.

I know there's no point in trying to speak against the wishes of someone with a cleaning fetish but you're doing more harm than good by stripping your bike of all traces of gease like that.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
you're doing more harm than good by stripping your bike of all traces of gease like that.
Absolutely. Not having access to a hose is probably the best thing that could have happened to your bike. Using degreaser followed by water means rust and corrosion in and on the places you're not going to relube or recoat. And believe me, there are hundreds of nooks and crannies on your bike that you're not going to relube or recoat because you don't even know where they are, you can't access them, or both.

Some good recommendations for better cleaning methods above ^. If you heed them, your bike will thank you.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I think you are doing more harm than good with your method. If you are going to continue I suggest going to a hardware store and buying a sprayer such as used for bugs, weed killer etc. Fill with water, pump a few times and you get enough pressure to wash/rinse off the bike and not enough to push through the bearings.

I use this method even though I have access to a hose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe, maybe not. What I can say for sure is if you don't completely strip your bike of grease it will definitely be okay.

I know there's no point in trying to speak against the wishes of someone with a cleaning fetish but you're doing more harm than good by stripping your bike of all traces of gease like that.
I definitely like to have a completely clean bike, the majority of the time it is messy though. I think after all this I'm going to try to rinse with a garden watering can after spraying on degreaser. If not enough pressure to get the gunk off the drive train, then maybe one of those pump pressure sprayers is the ticket.

The rest of the bike will be cleaned with car wash soap and a sponge. I have a feeling dish soap would really eat away at the paint on the frame.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I definitely like to have a completely clean bike, the majority of the time it is messy though. I think after all this I'm going to try to rinse with a garden watering can after spraying on degreaser. If not enough pressure to get the gunk off the drive train, then maybe one of those pump pressure sprayers is the ticket.

The rest of the bike will be cleaned with car wash soap and a sponge. I have a feeling dish soap would really eat away at the paint on the frame.
Alright, the rain finally let up for a day and got out to clean the drive train.

Used a watering can which did an ok job rinsing the loose gunk from the chain, cassette and chain rings and the soap from the frame but it's not as clean as I hoped. This might need a more thorough job like stripping parts off and letting them soak for a while in a degreaser bath followed by a thorough scrubbing. Bike is definitely shifting smoother with the majority of the dirt/grime out of the chain but it could be cleaner.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This might need a more thorough job like stripping parts off and letting them soak for a while in a degreaser bath followed by a thorough scrubbing. Bike is definitely shifting smoother with the majority of the dirt/grime out of the chain but it could be cleaner.
Might be your method or degreaser.
This method is pretty good and it isn't tied to the spray hose or or to the degreaser or soap being used (these are bio friendly though)
WD-40 BIKE Clean on Vimeo
I've found that the degreaser and a soapy sponge do a great job on the chain (prior to this I used a brush).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.