Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 550$ to spend on a new commuter. My old one was a Schwinn for sometime in the 70's, a 10 speed. I was looking at road bikes, but because I live in Minneapolis and would like to ride in the snow occasionally, I am turning to cyclocross. With my budget, someone recommended this motobecane fantom cx. I jumped on the bike, it looked great, and I ALMOST ordered it before I heard that bikesdirect may not be the best place to buy from. What would you recommend, should I buy this bike or is there something better out there?

· Registered
50 Posts
I think Bikes Direct has some issues with a lot of people who have never dealt with them or their bikes. I've seen a couple of their bikes in person and know a couple of guys who ride them. Haven't heard many bad things come out of the mouths of those that have dealt with BD or their products directly. There is a good bit of discussion over on www.bikeforums.net about BD. I believe the owner is a member who posts there regularly.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Holtzman said:
thanks! any other opinions?
The Motobecane forum is probably your best bet for feedback on dealing with BikesDirect ([ur]http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106[/url]). Mike posts on RBR under the username bikesdirect, so you can also search for his posts and perhaps get an idea of who you will be dealing with.

I've come across a few thread on the Bikes, Frames and Forks forum regarding his various brands. Seems legit.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Holtzman said:
I have 550$ to spend on a new commuter. My old one was a Schwinn for sometime in the 70's, a 10 speed. I was looking at road bikes, but because I live in Minneapolis and would like to ride in the snow occasionally, I am turning to cyclocross. With my budget, someone recommended this motobecane fantom cx. I jumped on the bike, it looked great, and I ALMOST ordered it before I heard that bikesdirect may not be the best place to buy from. What would you recommend, should I buy this bike or is there something better out there?
Bikesdirect should be OK to order from, provided you know exactly what size you need and you know and have the tools for basic bike assembly.

The big beef that people have with BD is that they've been reported to have spammed these message boards more than a couple times- a practice that's just a little sleazy. However, a lot of the folks that have bought the bikes seem to love them.

The big problem you might run into if you buy a BD bike is that certain bike shops believe they shouldn't have to give good service to anyone who buys their bike online.

As far as I know, at that price, it's hard to find a decent cross bike. Which is not to say that the Motobecane is a decent cross bike... it's just a complete cross bike for a low cost.

One other option- if yer already OK with buying online and you know your size, why not try ebay or craigslist? you can get some pretty decent deals on used bikes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.