Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, see, here's an innovation that, unlike disc brakes in every regard, makes life easier, requires fewer tools/skills, fewer trips to the bike shop, and can make bikes lighter, (admittedly minimally) more aero, and easier to manufacture - aka a good thing for everyone:

2015 Velo Awards: SRAM eTap is Innovation of Year - VeloNews.com

THIS would be worth early-adopting!

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I'm not convinced of its durability, especially of the electro-mechanical servo parts. And being this is Sram's first edition, I fully expect issues will arise, design will change, and it becomes obsolete fast (like the Di 7090 stuff). So no, I'm not adopting eTap, not when other groupsets like Shimano 5800 and 6800 are working so well, and at a fraction of the price. One thing I've learned about anything "electronic" is that it will go obsolete much quicker than anything mechanical. That's the nature of electronics.

I do like the clean look of wireless, but it's not a top priority for me.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,346 Posts
Now, see, here's an innovation that, unlike disc brakes in every regard, makes life easier, requires fewer tools/skills, fewer trips to the bike shop, and can make bikes lighter, (admittedly minimally) more aero, and easier to manufacture - aka a good thing for everyone:

You just discovered tTap now? People have been talking about it for over a year.

As for 'first edition' skeptics, SRAM has been real-world testing the stuff for over 2 years. The parts that I worked with in July looked production ready in every way. It is indeed very easy to work with. Battery life is great. I doubt there will be any problems with it. Not sure how it can become 'obsolete' quicker than anything mechanical, all it does is shift gears. It's already wireless so there aren't any upgrades to be made on connection hardware like Shimano did. I would imagine that any improvements will be made through firmware flashes.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I highly doubt any frame manufacturers are going to make eTap specific frames to "save weight" or whatever SRAM claims they can do.

Edit: Until all 3 electronic groups are wireless and it trickles down to the Ultegra/Force level.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
It's all good except the price

The only thing keeping me from trying is the high cost it does seem cleverly designed but I'm too cheap to drop that kind of money on a group. I guess I could clean out my daughters college fund...

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Except it's SRAM.

No thanks.
Yep. When Shimano gets there with Ultegra or 105, I'm in.

Talked to a mechanic and he raved about SRAM wireless. And it was 100% based on ease of installation. Not sure he had any knowledge on how well it worked or durability.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts

A solution looking for a problem. Mechanical is adequate. The manufacturers are just trying to sell you something so they can make more money :rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
A solution looking for a problem. Mechanical is adequate. The manufacturers are just trying to sell you something so they can make more money :rolleyes:

Adequate? Down tube shifters were adequate as were many other innovations.

Personally not have to replace cables or adjust them occasionally is a selling point to me.

BUT - that's only at a reasonable price point and proven technology. Sadly at my age, I'll probably never know.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts

When asked what was the most significant improvement in bike tech in the last 30 years, Steve Tilford, who has probably raced more than any other person in the world, said electronic shifting. People who think it's a gimmick haven't used it. Sram's wireless setup is a nice step forward and it's solid.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
When asked what was the most significant improvement in bike tech in the last 30 years, Steve Tilford, who has probably raced more than any other person in the world, said electronic shifting. People who think it's a gimmick haven't used it. Sram's wireless setup is a nice step forward and it's solid.
Most significant improvement? That seems a bit exaggerated. My feeling is that clipless pedals and integrated brake/shifting have been the 2 biggest innovations in the last 30 years. I am not arguing against electric shifting but from a functional perspective its just an improvement upon integrated shifting. I would put the half dozen new BB "standards" as about 587th on the list

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Adequate? Down tube shifters were adequate as were many other innovations.

Personally not have to replace cables or adjust them occasionally is a selling point to me.

BUT - that's only at a reasonable price point and proven technology. Sadly at my age, I'll probably never know.

I was being sarcastic. :) My comments were the same arguments the OP (and others) uses against disc brakes, they are all applicable towards electronic shifting just the same, but apparently only tech he deems worthy isn't a scam by the manufacturers to get more money out of consumers

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I'll have to see how well it works before forming an opinion. My skepticism comes from the lag time of the wireless shifting on my indoor bike. While it works entirely differently, I've not experienced anything blue tooth or ant plus that has close to the response time of wired systems.

This becomes a problem when quick transitions require multiple rapid shifts.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'll have to see how well it works before forming an opinion. My skepticism comes from the lag time of the wireless shifting on my indoor bike. While it works entirely differently, I've not experienced anything blue tooth or ant plus that has close to the response time of wired systems.

This becomes a problem when quick transitions require multiple rapid shifts.
Radio waves travel at the speed of light, so you should not notice lag time.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Early adopter of SRAM, good luck w that. They have such a great history on first gen products. Lol

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I agree a wireless solution is a better idea that the rat's nest of wires and cludgy batteries that is the Shimano/Campy solution. Converting an existing frame from mechanical to something like Di2 has never seemed like a feasible idea. Converting from mechanical to a wireless solution like ETap without buying a new frame seems much more plausible. Also, flat out removing the need to route/maintain cables is a significant advantage over mechanical.

However, I also agree that the incremental performance gain over regular ol' mechanical shifting to me isn't worth the expense at this time. Perhaps when I can get reliable wireless shifting in a group at the $1,000 price point, I'll reconsider.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As a wireless developer I think this is one of the worst possible applications for a wireless system. Anything that needs real-time control shouldn't be wireless. But that's just my opinion from 30+ years of developing wireless systems.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,346 Posts
As a wireless developer I think this is one of the worst possible applications for a wireless system. Anything that needs real-time control shouldn't be wireless. But that's just my opinion from 30+ years of developing wireless systems.
Care to explain?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have been reading nothing but positive reviews on the etap system. Once the price drops to around a grand I'm in also.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Except it's SRAM.

No thanks.
this is like the chevy guy with the pee on ford decal :D

i think the real shortcoming is ... 'except it is only available in Red'

I am not committed to any brand, have always loved Shimano ... but somehow I am riding SRAM on my 2 main bikes now. and liking it

1 - 20 of 94 Posts