Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I am looking to shave some lbs off my Look 555. I currently have a portly 380 gram ITM wingshape handlebar on my bike. I am looking for a lighter handlebar that has the same relative shape, flat tops for climbing and a nice flat section in front of the hoods. I have looked at the k-sword and fsa wing. Are there any others that I should look at? Are any of you guys riding the above metioned bars? what are you thought and do you like them?
Thanks

· pinoy thunder
342 Posts
Last time I checked, "winged" bars are on the heavy side.

I would move this thread to Save Some Weight forum.
(I surehope they don't delete this thread, like they did with the "bikesdirect" thread this morning!)

p.s. It's good to see that biknben is back.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Okay you probably don't need me to weigh in (pardon the pun) and say it...

Weight savings is overrated, particularly when it comes to handlebars. Handlebars and saddles are the two places where you contact the bike and there are real life comfort issues. I can't imagine giving up my flat-top carbon bars for lightweight aluminum just to save a few grams.

If you are bound and determined to exalt weight above all, I'd just get onto a good parts catalog and scan the weight estimates for various aluminum bars in your size.

· LOOK lover
625 Posts
Handlebars are the 2nd worse place to shave weight on your bike (stem is 1st, some would put saddle nearer the top of the list). Your portly 380 g piece only weighs a few ounces more than the lightest bars on the market. Ergonomics and stiffness are far more important considerations for handlebars. You could reduce weight a little with the FSA bars you mention and get the ergonomics you want, but they're not exactly what you would call light.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
I actually find the traditional round bars more comfortable. The flat top feels comfy when trying it, but after a real 3 hr ride, the round bars seem to win out.

Not sure why. Maybe if the flat top is tilted up at an agle it might be different?

· Registered
8,000 Posts
I LOVE my ZIPP B2 Contour bars.

225g of carbon heaven! Stiff comfortable and nicely priced for bars like this.
26.0 or 31.8 available

I got mine @ wisecyclebuys.com

· Shoebomber
174 Posts
Since you have a Look bike, did you check out the Look EDH bar? I purchased one, although I have not had the time to put it on my bike yet. Light, but well constructed. Same weight as the Zipps, by the way, but have cable routing instead of the grooves, which to me is a plus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.