Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our sport is being clensed of the trash that has been misleading us all these years. We will now have greater competition and many more exciting races. I think the era of one guy dominating all the races is over. I honestly think this will get our sport turned around.
I can't wait for the tour to start, what an amazing race this should be!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I don't think anybody could possibly have any confidence that all of the dopers were caught. There are still some that will be starting the race, so it is not entirely clean.

Just like the Festina affair, no matter who wins this year, it will always be referred to the "Operation Puerto" year.

Of course, that won't stop me from watching it!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Mosovich said:
our sport is being clensed of the trash that has been misleading us all these years. We will now have greater competition and many more exciting races. I think the era of one guy dominating all the races is over. I honestly think this will get our sport turned around.
Agreed! :)

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
Mosovich said:
While I am hopeful that your optimistic view of the events will be the outcome, I am far too cynical to expect such a clean end to this.

In reality, the only people who are being removed are those who were clients of Fuentes. There are way too many other riders with suspicion of doping clouding their performances to think that the remainder of the tour field is clean and the doping culture is so pervasive that I don't see a chance in hell of those riders will ride the tour cleanly.

It seems very unlikely to me that the riders will race tomorrow and if they do ride, there will be rider boycotts down the line.

Ullrich, Basso et al are going to be clouded with suspicion regardless, but I also don't see a clean legal end to this either. There are 58 riders involved with the investigation - as different as the European legal system is, all it will take is one rider to find a loophole or a single error in the collection of evidence and the whole lot of riders will be let off .

Finally, lets take the optimistic viewpoint that this is the start of a successful campaign that cleans the sport of widespread doping. I can't see the sport having the sponsorship dollars needed to support it by the time all of the necessary heads roll. CSC & T-Mobile would be wise to pull sponsorship now to separate themselves from this. Liberty Mutual did it just as quickly and they weren't nearly as visible a sponsor. The cycling companies will always be there, but the big dollar multi-national corporations that fuel the sport at the upper levels will be gone long before the sport can cleanse itself.

Oh well.. There are so many unhappy thoughts going through my head.. I love the sport... I hope that this isn't the beginning of the end.

G

·
Mosovich said:
our sport is being cleansed of the trash that has been misleading us all these years.
It's a good start, but they'll have to shut down at least one more operation and bag a few more 'big' names to really scare the sheit out of the riders, but then some of gray8110's predictions become even more likely.

No wonder the NFL and MLB have pretty lame doping controls - it keeps the $$s rolling and the fans tuned in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.