Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Eddy 53:11
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never consider myself on the cutting-edge of anything. I'm usually the last to try
most new things. However, I saw a banner ad here about a new Camelbak water bottle
and decided to buy one on impulse at my LBS. It's been one of the best, inexpensive
things I bought in a very, long time!

The Camelbak podium bottle is GREAT!! Tired of having your bottles leak a sticky
mess all over your bike/self? Wonder how your drink REALLY tastes? Tired of
opening your bottles with your teeth and closing them on your hip? This is your
bottle.

It's about $7-8, and worth every penny. I now KNOW that I'm tasting plastic w/
my other water bottles, no doubt. I can top this off, and ride the bumpiest roads
w/o having it give-up one drop of liquid.

Try it out, there isn't an better bottle out there for the price. Just though I'd pass it on.

Here's a link for ya'

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Is this product made from snake oil??

My bottles don't leak
My water tastes like water
Meh, what else could I want?

· Registered
2,620 Posts
Good news - the lids fit Polar insulated bottles.

Bad news - the inside of the lid can get a little gunky (using sports drinks) as is is difficult to wash

???? news - the protective plastic part of the lid will pry off to allow better washing - it's just a little extra hassle

· Registered
329 Posts
azoomm said:
I realized that the Camelbak bottles were an answer to a question that I didn't have. Maybe it's habit and comfort, but I like my 'ol regular bottles better.

Yeah, the timing of this is funny for me. I needed some new bottles recently so I picked a couple of these up and started using them.

I immediately noticed that they bang the frame more than my conventional bottles do when I hit bumps (the large lid contacts the frame under vibration).

Might not sound like much, but it is a problem that I never had before....

The other thing that is sort of nasty, is the tip. It just seems less sanitary. As an occasional MTBer, I can tell you I will never take one of these on the trail.

· Registered
332 Posts
Eh, if you've got bottles, good for you. But if you're like me and just slap a thrice-used Aquafina sports-top bottle refilled with tap water into your bottle cage, then this seems like a good thing to get. Although, it'll still be filled with tap water.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I have one. They're OK. I figured I'd try something else instead of the Campy bottles I've been using forever. I like them a lot, but lids crack too easily if dropped.

My main complaint is that Camelbak bottle is slightly more pudgy than a typical bottle. Unlike all the other bottles I have, they barely fit in my Tacx Tao cages. The sippy-cup nipple (so-far) is fine. I know everyone opens a conventional bottle with their teeth, but for me, due to a problem with my lower lip, that can be very painful to do. Haven't dropped one yet, so don't know how they'll hold up on my real test.

The Camelbak podium bottle is GREAT!! Tired of having your bottles leak a sticky
mess all over your bike/self?
Just remember to have the valve closed when shaking, or your drink will end up everywhere. :)

· Registered
6,327 Posts
agree

I picked one of these up a few weeks ago after posts here gushed about them. If you are using an energy drink these do a great job of keeping that sticky mess off of the frame. They also have a very high flow and are easy to use. I use it exclusively with a Polar bottle. I am a bit surprised that Camelbak does not offer an insulated bottle - that seems right up their alley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.