Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got up well before sunrise today to have enough time to make it down to the Lincoln Memorial for the Easter Sunrise Service. It was worth it, for the first time in several years it was dry, clear and warm for the service. So we were treated to a concert as we watched the sunrise.

Just before the sun came over the horizon we made our way up to the WWII Memorial, the Washington Monument and finally over to the Jefferson Memorial where there was another service going on.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well you have to celebrate Easter somehow.....I picked up a squeekie bunny at the shop Saturday. It was fun, every time I saw someone running, riding or walking I gave them a toot. I got some good looks.....

So anyway after a pretty neat sunrise we headed through downtown, then Rock Creek Park and before long we were out in the country where we really like to ride. So much so that I put the camera away for the rest of the day.

Now back to the gross part....

Ride a hundred miles (lets call it a "Century"), after you have done it a few times-so what? It really isn't all that hard unless you find something exceptionally hilly, wet, cold or windy. I wonder how many hundred hundred mile rides I have done. Enough that is for sure, not that we are going to stop riding 100 miles 60 or 70 times a year but still.....Now a 200 kilometer ride is 25 miles longer that a Century but it is really just another couple of hours on the bike-not really a big deal after 100 miles. We have done bunches of those too.

Now a 200 mile ride (lets call it a "Double Century") is another story entirely. It is going to be an all day ride for sure and except for the very fastest riders during the longest days of the year it is going to include some riding at night. Plus without support 200 miles can be really, really tough. I have probably done 50 or so doubles. Likely enough but.... every year we try a few more and finish a few less than we try.

So we need something in between. Something that is a chore to do but doesn't require lights or support. Something rider friendly.

Now 144 miles (lets call it a "Gross") just may fit the bill. It has a catchy name, it is going to be a challange for almost all riders but it won't kill you for work on Monday. Plus it isn't a bad step up for Century riders thinking about a Double.

So that is what we ended up doing this Easter. A "Gross".

It was good.
Ride your bike.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
The Evil Bunny of Doom on a quest. . .

So, I assume you made it the whole 144? Pretty nice. I spent the weekend watching more snow fall. I'm really, really, really, ready for some nice weather. Supposed to be 73 this weekend. Maybe I'll aim for a century ride. That would be nice.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Hey MB. What's the guy doing wading in the water?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aqua-aerobics?

Ridgetop said:
Hey MB. What's the guy doing wading in the water?
Actually it was a Park Service guy with hip waders on (that water is really disgusting what with the ducks and all) clearing the drains crazy early on a Easter Sunday morning. What you can't see is his buddies teasing him about falling down just out of sight of my camera.

BTW of course we got in our Gross, we were talking about riding for a few more hours but I thought 144 was a cool distance so we finished early. It was a very nice day.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Nice Report, love the bunny bell! Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.