Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
a happy ending, a dog story

So last night, my daughter got home from Ohio for a week with her boyfriend and my 19 yr old is home on spring break and her boyfriend is over, My son came over and some of their friends too. It was great to have a houseful. All evening we kept hearing a dog barking fairly nearby, but it was cold and snowing so all the windows were closed and I just didn't give it any thought. Around 10:30 I went to bed and was wakened from a pretty sound sleep around 1:15. My daughter says "the boys were investigating the barking and there is a dog with a chain on, tangled on stuff in the woods....trapped."
They said they had heard someone whistling for it but no one seemed to be seriously looking for it.
They were not about to approach a trapped nervous dog who growled when they got near (about a 90 pound dog) They had tried to befriend it with a hot-dog but it was scared. I got up and dressed and went out to see. I immediately knew whose dog it was.
I got into my truck and drove to their house and the owner came to the door. I asked if he was missing a dog, he said yes .I told him what was up. He followed me hack to my place and we freed the dog. By that time he had been tangled for about 6 hours.
He had pulled the "corkscrew" type anchor out of the ground and was dragging it all over the place.
BTW...those things are TOTALLY useless for a big dog.
I came back into the house and congratulated my kids on a job VERY well done, the poor beast would have been tangled all night had they not investigated (I would have seen him in the morning, it was close enough to the house and easily visible from the upstairs windows in the daylight)
The dog is lucky as he11 that he got tangled close to the house, had he been a couple of hundred yards away, no one would have investigated,
I am still disgusted with the owners, they KNEW the dog was lost WITH the chain and screw but NEVER went out and look seriously. That is totally irresponsible, TOTALLY.
Any how, my kids and boyfriends sure earned karma points in my eyes last night!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Very nice - good work! :thumbsup:

Should admit that I was wondering if this thread was about something else based on the title?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,964 Posts
Good on ya T0G. :)

You should pee-disc those owners, on general principle though.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kykr13 said:
Very nice - good work! :thumbsup:

Should admit that I was wondering if this thread was about something else based on the title?
ok I'll change it

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
ok I'll change it
You know, this is the lounge... Threads called "A Happy Ending" fit in quite well. :)

The corkscrewy things are for shitzoos - pee disc would be appropriate here, me thinks.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I'll bite....what's a pee disc?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Yea. I was expecting a thread involving olive oil and friction....
But as it is, nice job by the kids. And stab teh owner in the livers, Mkay?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,964 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
ok I'll bite....what's a pee disc?
Well you use a freezer to make a "pee disc"...follow me so far?

You then slip said disc through an opening in owners' house-usually under a door-though a mail-slot can work.

Disc melts, yes? makes one heckuva stink, yes?

Got it?

PS-worst with carpet flooring.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Well you use a freezer to make a "pee disc"...follow me so far?
That's two out of three ingredients, the other being a frisbee. I have gained so much practical knowledge from the lounge (sniff).

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,964 Posts
kykr13 said:
That's two out of three ingredients, the other being a frisbee. I have gained so much practical knowledge from the lounge (sniff).
I was going to linky to the Wiki article on pee-discs...unfortunately it would appear there isn't on on there yet.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to say that if I am going to confront this guy for being a moron, am going to do it face to face because I want HIM to know why and who!

That said, last night when he said "for a big dog he is kinda shy" I told hem well I KNOW he has been yelled at and chased a LOT. I have seen him loose with the chain once before and I panicked at that time, and went looking for him.....he is in my yard REGULARLY and while he is no threat to me....I fear MY dog will follow him out.!
I do NOT chain my dog most of the time, but she never leaves my property and ALWAYS comes when called SO FAR

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The whole pee disc thing worries me...ok we are dealing with a bad dog owner in the first place.....so when they find a huge puddle of urine in front of the door will the DOG get beaten???????????

I'm thinking a report to the humane society may be in order.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a rather LARGE collection of dog poo at any given time (lace found our Halloween pumpkin I threw in the woods...apparently it was tasty (as good as hand-cream) and she ate it all.......(the damn thing was about 30 pounds.... :rolleyes:

I may NEVER eat pumpkin pie again if you catch my drift

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,964 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
The whole pee disc thing worries me...ok we are dealing with a bad dog owner in the first place.....so when they find a huge puddle of urine in front of the door will the DOG get beaten???????????

I'm thinking a report to the humane society may be in order.
A call to HS would be a good idea in all seriousness. Though I've seen that sometimes the state can do presious little to stop idiots from owning and mistreating animals....I've seen people with dangerous dogs (read large and threatening and loose) have Animal Control take them away-only to adopt another a week or so later.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I HATE it when people chain/tie their dogs up all the time.

There are some trashy people a few miles down the road from me that have the nicest looking little dog chained up all day and night, freezing cold or not, next to a shed, all year. I've seen it off the chain only a handful of times (I drive by it everyday).

I see them out messing in the yard, kids playing, or whatever totally ignoring the dog and this poor mutt just wags his tail looking longingly at them.

Poor thing.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
I HATE it when people chain/tie their dogs up all the time.

There are some trashy people a few miles down the road from me that have the nicest looking little dog chained up all day and night, freezing cold or not, next to a shed, all year. I've seen it off the chain only a handful of times (I drive by it everyday).

I see them out messing in the yard, kids playing, or whatever totally ignoring the dog and this poor mutt just wags his tail looking longingly at them.

Poor thing.

These people let the dog in the house.....I am just HOPING that it got their attention last night....they came dangerously close to losing their dog ....the dog their little kids LOVE

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
so, where's the part about the massage parlor in the seedy part of town? did the good stuff get deleted?

glad you guys found the poor dog.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
Any how, my kids and boyfriends sure earned karma points in my eyes last night!
You have boyfriends? :yikes: :D :eek: :wink:

//Good work! On the dog that is.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Good ending to your tale. Glad the kids checked it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.