Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I have decided to do a ride report on my favorite road training route for a change. I have not taken photos on my road bike before, I was a little nervous at the beginning especially due to the hilly and twisty route with heavy traffic in these hours of the day. I live at the south of Hong Kong Island, this route is a return loop (about 50km) along the southern coastal line of Hong Kong Island started from / returned to my home. The northern side of Hong Kong Island is a commercial/financial area, so there is not much fun to ride around the island. If you like to climb, you may choose the steepest route to The Peak (500m above sea level) and enjoy the climb as well as the view of this fabulous city.

After turning from home, a short climb for warming up my body.

Here comes the drop-off. I had made 73kmph here just coasting, if it was not the heavy braking for traffic light at the end of the slope, much higher speed may be achieved definitely.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here comes the water dam of Tai Tam Reservoir. In the background of the picture, there is the climb I have to make after the dam.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shek O Road, a favorite training loop of all cyclists who live in the Island. Quiet, flat but twisty.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
High concentration is required in this heavy traffic, slow down to give way if there is no match, accelerate to over take if you have the confident.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Reg # KA 524

kai-ming said:
No match with the traffic on this stretch of climbing.
You take these hand held?

Nice pics. How are the drivers in Hong Kong in terms of courtesy?

The Ford coming up on you looks ominous.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Those are some suicidal lookin' roads you ride on.Looked like you were going to be a new hood ornament for that one car. Nice pics just the same. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took all these pics hand held while riding. I found it very dangerous to take photo at high speed descent, that is the reason why no pic posted for the drop-off descent.
Hong Kong is a busy city and a lot of people here are under high tension. You will meet some impatient drivers here like any other busy city of the world. Even though I have riden the route hundreds times, I still feel a bite nervous at certain points of the route at certain hours of week days.
I must admit that taking picture of a car behind while climbing with a bike is a bite provoking. I promised to myself not to do that again.
That is one of the reasons why I am reluctant to take photos while riding a roadbike in HK.
Riding on roads in remote area of midland China is much safety with clean air.

·
Registered
330 Posts
great stuff

Thanks Kai Ming
Great photos,
Looks like an interesting area to ride.
The city riding is a bit scary though

cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts