Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a hypothetical question because God knows that I don't have the time or the means (money) to buy another frame as I have 5 build projects starting up- one of which has already started, and the rest soon to start. Still, I can see another frame down the road, some time around the end of the year so maybe so I guess it is not such a hypothetical question after all. Anyhow, I have been wanting a new '08 or '09 Look 585 Ultra for a long time to add to the stable. But a frame that I have always lusted after is available in the classifieds. It is a used '06 Fondriest Top Carbon TF1 Evoluzione. That frame used to be the one frame that I have always, always, always wanted- back in the day!! So now one is available, should I? Could I?

What would you do if a frame (insert your choice here) that was your ultimate frame at one time and it is now no longer made (and now by today's standards, may not be the creme de la creme anymore) became available (which rarely occurs)? Would you get it? Or would you get the newer frame that you have been eyeing for a while and that frame is probably better, definitely lighter, and has warranty support? BTW, they would cost the same. If I had the means, I think I would get the TF1.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
imagine yourself awhile down the road, and you didn't get it... will you be kicking yourself? pissed?

I suppose you could always get it, and if it turns out you don't want it, sell it

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
I'm facing the same dilemma. My dream frame is a Colnago Tecnos. I sold my previous one because it was a 63cm Freuler-style frame and even though the seat-tube/stand-over was OK, it was a hair long on the TT.

There's one my size on eBay as we speak--NOS from a reliable seller, who, sadly, knows what he is selling & he is asking $2K. Too rich for me.

But I can't help myself--at least once a day I have to look at it... A few months back, he must have needed the cash so week after week it dropped--finishing at $1600--with no takers.

And I didn't buy it...

So I guess its possible to resist--but if you can swing it, you should probably buy it. Stick in in a box or something until you are ready to build it.

Someone on the retro thread said if you think it's expensive now, wait and it will be even more expensive later!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paredown said:
But I can't help myself--at least once a day I have to look at it...
Yep. I hear ya brutha!!! Can't help looking at it almost everyday! We suffer...suffer from the sickness....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Now I had the same dilema on a Tecnos..........

paredown said:
I'm facing the same dilemma. My dream frame is a Colnago Tecnos. I sold my previous one because it was a 63cm Freuler-style frame and even though the seat-tube/stand-over was OK, it was a hair long on the TT.

There's one my size on eBay as we speak--NOS from a reliable seller, who, sadly, knows what he is selling & he is asking $2K. Too rich for me.

But I can't help myself--at least once a day I have to look at it... A few months back, he must have needed the cash so week after week it dropped--finishing at $1600--with no takers.

And I didn't buy it...

So I guess its possible to resist--but if you can swing it, you should probably buy it. Stick in in a box or something until you are ready to build it.

Someone on the retro thread said if you think it's expensive now, wait and it will be even more expensive later!
Guess what I did? Well pictures speak louder than words..........

I have a few others on my wishlist and if they came up I'd do the same thing again.

As for the Tecnos I've got most of the parts to build it up like this!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FatTireFred said:
imagine yourself awhile down the road, and you didn't get it... will you be kicking yourself? pissed?

I suppose you could always get it, and if it turns out you don't want it, sell it
FTF, the major obstacle is the dinero, or lack there of. We are in the process of moving to Portland and we plan to rent out our house and buy a house in Lake Oswego. Down payments, moving costs, renovation/fix-up cost to our current house, etc. leave us with very little to play with. I could possibly swing it if I got rid of the Colnago but I want to keep that as much as I want the TF1.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
FTF, the major obstacle is the dinero, or lack there of. We are in the process of moving to Portland and we plan to rent out our house and buy a house in Lake Oswego. Down payments, moving costs, renovation/fix-up cost to our current house, etc. leave us with very little to play with. I could possibly swing it if I got rid of the Colnago but I want to keep that as much as I want the TF1.

then don't buy what you can't afford... you shouldn't really be looking if you'd be taking food off the table. will your so kick your ass if you came home w/ another bike, given your financial situation? seems like a simple choice

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would only go out of my way or budget or build plans if the available bike was something really special. A classic from when you first started riding or something like that. A three year old bike just doesn't seem that special to me. As you stated you can get a better bike now. To me one carbon frame is the same as another in terms of emotion or nostalgia. I emphasize the emotional aspect not the technical aspect. Now if it were lugged steel! :) Just my opinion of course but you did ask. Out of curiosity what are your current builds?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anytime a bike (or any object) that you've lusted after becomes available and you can afford it BUY IT!! Or you'll always regret procrastinating. If you truly wanted it you'll thank yourself for buying it. If it was just a passing whim, you can re-sell it. A month after buying an Orbea Opal frameset because it was an awesome deal. An Independant Fabrication frameset turned up for short money. I'd always lusted for these frames but didn't feel like dropping $2k for a frameset. So I bought it also. No regrets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts