Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
One good reason to ride with a camera so you can easily report him. Rolling coal violates the Clean Air Act, so by reporting him you can get the state to do a surprise emissions inspection and then fine him heavily for intentionally bypassing his emissions controls.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Some people need to grow up - just like the harley riders (small h - no respect) who modify their exhausts to make more noise. I guess they didn't get enough attention from their parents in their younger years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Curious, were you a solo rider or paired/group?

In my month and half of road riding, which has all been solo, I have not had any traffic issues as such (knock on wood). I've often wondered if just being solo might be the reason as well as staying out of the way. Now that I say this, I'll probably experience some issue. I know it's not for a lack of anti-bike d-bags in my area. Like Anywhere, USA, just read social media about a bicycling incident and one's hope for humanity is quickly dashed.

I personally know some "Flat-billed hat wearin" D-Bag youngsters that would be up to this kind of behavior. By youngsters, I'm talking about early 30'ish y/o entitled pricks that wouldn't know adult behavior if it bit them in the ass. Again, just our society swirling around and down the toilet.

Does anyone know of an instance where a flat-biller has been prosecuted for the emissions issues? It sounds like a great thing but is it happening? Seems like our California Eco-terrorist legislature would be all giddy about the thought of going after these types but I've never heard anything happening like that as of yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Some people need to grow up - just like the harley riders (small h - no respect) who modify their exhausts to make more noise. I guess they didn't get enough attention from their parents in their younger years.
Yeah...the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" conspiracy types. I've logged tens-of-thousands of miles on a 1300cc 4cyl 150hp Sport/Tour machine that would eat any Hardley alive in virtually all aspects of performance and do so nice and quietly while managing to stay alive on the streets of America using skill and brain power. There is no other class of rider that pisses me off more then the Harley Weekend Warrior.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah...the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" conspiracy types. I've logged tens-of-thousands of miles on a 1300cc 4cyl 150hp Sport/Tour machine that would eat any Hardley alive in virtually all aspects of performance and do so nice and quietly while managing to stay alive on the streets of America using skill and brain power. There is no other class of rider that pisses me off more then the Harley Weekend Warrior.
you know... Since its been brought up... I really expected motorcycles to be especially polite to bicycles but I have seen the opposite. I'd say not far behind pick-ups. It's not all Harley riders either... I get uncool close passes routinely. Had one this morning.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Been riding forever - only had one d-bag roll coal on me (us). Funny part - there two of us and we sprinted for him, as he caught a red light. He made a right from the straight lane, and hauled ass. We laughed so damn hard. Okay sure, he could've had a gun, bat, trained badger... but he didn't. This story had a happy ending.

I live in Georgia - do a lot of riding outside of Atlanta... so you'd think it'd be prime coal rollin' territory. I think it's less common than the interwebs would have us believe.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
you know... Since its been brought up... I really expected motorcycles to be especially polite to bicycles but I have seen the opposite. I'd say not far behind pick-ups. It's not all Harley riders either... I get uncool close passes routinely. Had one this morning.
A friend of mine has observed (and since he told me this, it seems to be true IME as well) that *real* bikers (lifetime, tatted-up, [email protected] dudes) generally treat bicyclists well. It's the banker, dentist, hedge fund manager, weekend d-bag bikers who are, surprise!, d-bags.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Indeed. There's some guy in my neighborhood who has modified the exhaust on his car and likes to rev his engine at 2 AM. I guess this way he wants the whole neighborhood to know how small his (not-so) manly bits are.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Yeah they're too dim to know that defensive riding and conspicuousness, not to mention proper safety clothing (no german pudding bowl helmets and black jackets) are the things that keep real motorcyclists alive - not bullying around with excess noise. If excess noise kept us alive we'd ALL have our car ignition switches connected to truck air horns. They're just twatwaffles and do really need to grow up.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Indeed. There's some guy in my neighborhood who has modified the exhaust on his car and likes to rev his engine at 2 AM. I guess this way he wants the whole neighborhood to know how small his (not-so) manly bits are.
Yeah, bigger the noise, smaller the willy (and self-image).

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
A friend of mine has observed (and since he told me this, it seems to be true IME as well) that *real* bikers (lifetime, tatted-up, [email protected] dudes) generally treat bicyclists well. It's the banker, dentist, hedge fund manager, weekend d-bag bikers who are, surprise!, d-bags.
Hmmm... I'll keep an eye on that phenom... We have a local biker gang that hangs out just about 2 miles from my house. (The "Pokers." Always thought that was kind of a lame name, but their logos are cool...) The close pass today was what looked like a weekend Harley rider, two wide with his riding partner. The partner was a frozen solid, terrified looking, brand new motorcycling outfit wearing woman.

I have often said, everyone should have at least one surface-to-surface missle.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Deleted.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

Oh yes, this reminds me of this very funny song by the Asylum Street Spankers. You gotta have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh3o1_whqu4

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
On the bright side, OP, you continued on with what was most likely an enjoyable ride while the guy in the truck went back to his crappy life where the highlight of his day was blowing smoke on some stranger.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
two punky turds in a jacked-up monster-truck-wannabe rig tried to roll coal on me last year...

wind was in the wrong direction and the crap just drifted away from me...

as Nelson would say, har-har!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've got the business a few times. I usually sit up and gesture with both hands for the offenders to come on back for a "chat". Noone ever comes back.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
This has been my observation also.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
We had a motorcycle intentional hit-and-run on a bike a few weeks ago.

Injured Felton triathlete seeks motorcyclist in hit-and-run

“I was going downhill around a curve and I heard some motorcycles approaching from behind,” Moless said. “I saw one pass me on the left and the next thing I know I was getting hit from behind and from the side.”

The motorcyclist who hit him was passing him on the right, Moless said. None of the roughly four motorcyclists stopped after the wreck. He said he saw a chrome color on a motorcycle and dark clothing.

Moless called 911 and was taken by ambulance to Stanford Hospital. He broke his clavicle in seven pieces. Doctors reassembled it with a plate and screws Wednesday, he said. Moless said he also had “road rash” on his right arm and side.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts