Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with a Deda Magic stick seat post? I can't seem to find a neutral saddle position. I have tried using a level on top of the saddle, but when I tighten the seat it either pitches forward or backwards.
Any suggestions can help.

· Registered
219 Posts
I have a Magic Stick, although I keep it as a spare. Good seat post, but does suffer from the problem you mention. I still use one-bolt posts - an FSA SL-K on the Trek and a Look Ergopost on the 585. The FSA has the same levelling problem, but seems to have a few more usable positions. The Look post, despite its having only one bolt, is also infinitely adjustable and is an excellent seatpost.

I used a Thomson seatpost for a while and planned to put them on both bikes, but gave up on it when, out on a ride, one of the bolts loosened, which enabled the other bolt to loosen, and eventually they both loosened enough that one dropped out before I knew what was happening. I never found the lost nut and had to ride the 50km home with my saddle in my back pocket, standing all the way. It was not a pleasant experience. Since then - although it was obviously caused by my own incompetence - I will only use one-bolt seat posts.

· Registered
180 Posts
If your Thomson loosened on a ride, it was probably because the bolt in question wasn't torqued, but was bottomed out. That's a common mistake on two-bolt seatposts. Thomson posts are probably one of the most reliable seatposts on the market.

· Registered
714 Posts
true, there needs to be a gap between both sides of the clamp surfaces that face the saddle rails, front and back.

gmcastil said:
If your Thomson loosened on a ride, it was probably because the bolt in question wasn't torqued, but was bottomed out. That's a common mistake on two-bolt seatposts. Thomson posts are probably one of the most reliable seatposts on the market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.