Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week Campagnolo is holding their 2009 product introduction in Vicenza for the subsidiaries.

"10% more gears and batteries are optional" is what I've been told...

stay tuned!

·
Registered
507 Posts
There goes my 16 lbs bike. Batteries and spares. It's bad enough with a guitar player in the band always needing 9v batteries. Now this!

·
Registered
858 Posts
RoyIII said:
There goes my 16 lbs bike. Batteries and spares. It's bad enough with a guitar player in the band always needing 9v batteries. Now this!
The electronic versions of DA and Record should actually be lighter. Now whether anyone needs an 11 speed cassette is another question.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SleeveleSS said:
The electronic versions of DA and Record should actually be lighter. Now whether anyone needs an 11 speed cassette is another question.
The patent for the current Ergopower design runs out this year or next - which is the reason for the redesign and 11 speed addition.

Of course it's up to the marketing department in Italy to try and convince us that we need it to ride more efficiently. :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
yanksphan said:
The patent for the current Ergopower design runs out this year or next - which is the reason for the redesign and 11 speed addition.

Of course it's up to the marketing department in Italy to try and convince us that we need it to ride more efficiently. :D
Somebody is going to have to call a stop to it somewhere. It's either narrower chains and more finicky drivetrains, or wheels with more dish, or a new rear hub width standard. None of those appeal to me in the least.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SleeveleSS said:
Somebody is going to have to call a stop to it somewhere. It's either narrower chains and more finicky drivetrains, or wheels with more dish, or a new rear hub width standard. None of those appeal to me in the least.
I know a lot of money was invested in getting the chain from 6.1 to 5.9, so I have a feeling it might be wheel dish that we're looking at.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
I can't find a picture, but the Shimano 14-speed patent showed a chain design with the inner plate shaped as a V with the point upwards. This would mean that the cog teeth would only see the outer plates and they could decrease the width of the chain/cog by the width of the inner plate. - TF

·
Registered
858 Posts
yanksphan said:
I know a lot of money was invested in getting the chain from 6.1 to 5.9, so I have a feeling it might be wheel dish that we're looking at.
The most interesting thread I ever read on MTBR was all about wheel dish. More dish is not what we need for sure. A wider hub standard would be a pain, but it would allow for lighter rims and stronger wheels. Other considerations such a q-factor and hub availability would have to be taken into consideration, so all in all any changes to 11-speed would be for the worse in my opinion.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SleeveleSS said:
The most interesting thread I ever read on MTBR was all about wheel dish. More dish is not what we need for sure. A wider hub standard would be a pain, but it would allow for lighter rims and stronger wheels. Other considerations such a q-factor and hub availability would have to be taken into consideration, so all in all any changes to 11-speed would be for the worse in my opinion.
I agree - with the conventional spoke methods the industry has used for past generations, more dish is certainly not optimal - however - with some of the newer materials and spoke configurations that have surfaced over the past 5 years or so, perhaps the negative results of more dish have been taken into consideration in the new designs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
iyeoh said:
I wonder how much more simple, reliable and light it would be if they went back to classic 10 speed and friction shifting.
On my next build I hope to use the DTSwiss 240 singlespeed rear hub with a 5 cog cluster on it. With a single or a double up front (I haven't decided yet), and friction shifted, it should be light, simple, and I'll have a stronger rear wheel. The more I learn about cycling, the simpler I like things to be.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Before everyone gets too carried away what I heard is a little different - here is what will be launched.
1 - New ergo design possibly called UltraShift (pics out there on internet) from Centaur upwards with an electric version.
2 - Centaur will also get an alloy ergo to go with the chainset which will be priced lower than carbon version.
3 - Veloce will have the old Ergopower alongside Escape

Haven't heard anything on the gears but heard they are working on extending the sprockets options (i think they need a 12 - 27 to complete the range).
4 - There will be more cogs

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HammerTime-TheOriginal said:
Explanation please.
All I know now is the name is being resurrected.

With the "batteries are optional" comment I posted earlier, I have to believe two versions of Record will be released, with the 'Super' variation being electronic.

Details as soon as I find out.

Oh - supposedly none of the 09 stuff is backwards compatible.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hmm.. Not super-surprising, i suppose. Thanks for the updates.

yanksphan said:
All I know now is the name is being resurrected.

With the "batteries are optional" comment I posted earlier, I have to believe two versions of Record will be released, with the 'Super' variation being electronic.

Details as soon as I find out.

Oh - supposedly none of the 09 stuff is backwards compatible.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.