Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in a town and county that is within commuting distance of New York.On September 11, 2001, we lost 18 people in the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centers. One of our residents was a pilot on one of the flights.

When the attacks occurred I lived in Phoenix and while getting dressed and ready for work, I watched the second plane crash into the second tower live on TV. As I'm originally from Pennsylvania and have spent a great deal of time in New York on business, the attacks felt extremely personal. I also felt very helpless being so far away and watching the fear wash over my wife who was 5 months pregnant at the time. Additionally, I had just attended the funeral of a coworker who died of brain cancer and left behind two children under the age of 4 and a husband the day before. Needless to say, I was torn apart just like everyone else.

In 2004, a job opportunity brought me back to PA. Shortly thereafter, our town unveiled its "Garden of Reflection" for those lost on that day. I often stop here while out cycling and somehow, I find some solace here. It is located in a historic farm area and is surrounded by woods and fields. The memorial lists the names of all those lost and has a special section for the local folks. There are pieces of one of the buildings, fountains, glass memorial panes, benches, and communal gardens. For such a sad place, it is very therapeutic and serene.

With the 9th anniversary coming up soon, I thought I'd share some pictures that I've taken of the memorial.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
thanks for sharing.

shortly after reading a message on a group work chat that there were pieces of an american airlines plane in the street after the first plane, i watched the second hit on tv. i became glued to the tv for the next few days as i was off work. we follow the NYSE schedule and since they were closed, we were as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts