Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I rode a TT. 3800' climbing over 16.5 miles. I've done the same race about 4 times. When I crossed the timing lights at the summit I knew I'd not given my all. Why not?...Dunno..

Been thinking it over. I think I realize now that the race against the clock is more about the race against your own mind. Everyone can come up with dozens of excuses why they've finished +back+. Re-riding Suday's TT in my mind, I can recall ten 'missed chances' to have moved up in the finishing order..But I didn't have the mental focus to push myself throughout the whole event, so I got beat. 20 seconds over an hour-twenty minutes would have gained me a couple of spots...but I was not focused, not really trying hard enough to get the time...And I KNEW it at the time!..That is what bothers me about this Sunday's race. Yeah, I had fun and performed pretty well...but I left time just laying there..I left muscles 'un-sore' I crossed the line "un-cramped and un-puked'

That's the cool thing about racing. All the training and excuses in the world go out the window if you can't put together a good performance. It takes the whole package to get good results. Your body will only go as hard as your mind tells it to go..

Don Hanson

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i get the same thing when i run races. "shoulda bridged here." "shoulda started further up." "shoulda stayed with that guy." "had too much of a kick. coulda gone harder throughout the race."

but thats running. and its what makes running races fun. there are other people out there, but how did YOU do against yourself?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Sounds like Larch Mt. TT...:D

If so, that's a tough climb to get into a rhythm on. I climbed it on Saturday with my team and it's a rough climb...it just never seems to end.

That's the hard part about TT's...it's you against the clock and you don't have anybody pushing yourself but you. With nobody to follow it's hard sometimes and it's a real mental fight.

The time splits on the Larch Mt. TT didn't look like there was a ton of passing that took place so there likely wasn't a lot of "Carrots" on the road which would make it a mental game and hard to keep a sustained effort like is needed on a climb like that.

I have found that I always do well in TT's when I have "Carrots to chase down compared to when I'm on the road all by my self. I can push myself much harder when I have somebody to chase or when I'm in a group and people start to turn up the pace.

That's what makes TT's so hard...They are as much mental as they are physical and it's always a battle with yourself to push the whole way. I always finish TT's looking back and thinking I could have gone harder here, or there...In the end you just do as well as you can and push your self as far as your pain threshold will go :cryin:

If it was the Larch Mt. TT...are you going to the State ITT's this weekend?

·
Registered
896 Posts
there is absolutely nothing easy about managing energy/power in a TT. it takes alot of practice to know how to drain your tanks perfectly over 40k or whatever. training with power and using it in a TT is likely the most predictable way to do it. otherwise you simply have to practice to determine your redline, and how far below that you need to dip to last the duration of the TT.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larch Mt. yes.

Yes. the OUCH event (Oregon Uphill CHallenge) Great title for a tough hillclimb, yah.

It is a difficult course to 'settle-in' on, what with the first 5-6 miles being rollers (but generally uphill) I was a bit scattered, having a car flat on my way to the event, arriving later than I wanted and without my normal "mental-replay of how to ride the course"...(I was going to try to avoid any 'excuses' but there's one anyway..)

I felt 'all over the bike' for the first section and didn't really get 'on' till the course pitched up...By then, of course, I'd 'convinced myself' I was going to have a 'bad day'.

I did have a carrot for the first third of the climb, but I was a day of event registration, so my own age competators were off half an hour before my start time.

.I did get passed plenty, but it's hard to use a Cat one pure-climber type as a 'carrot' when they go by about 5mph faster than you can manage..

I 'spaced' the State TT sign up deadline and didn't register, so I may abuse myself even worse and go up instead to Crystal Mt. for the Wa. St. Hillclimb championship.

.I am considering another attempt at doing the Everest Challenge event in the Eastern Sierras this fall, so I am abusing myself on hills in an attempt to "toughen-up" for 29,000' of climbing in two days.

Good luck on that 40k..I hear it is tough on the return leg.
Don Hanson

Wookiebiker said:
Sounds like Larch Mt. TT...:D

If so, that's a tough climb to get into a rhythm on. I climbed it on Saturday with my team and it's a rough climb...it just never seems to end.

That's the hard part about TT's...it's you against the clock and you don't have anybody pushing yourself but you. With nobody to follow it's hard sometimes and it's a real mental fight.

The time splits on the Larch Mt. TT didn't look like there was a ton of passing that took place so there likely wasn't a lot of "Carrots" on the road which would make it a mental game and hard to keep a sustained effort like is needed on a climb like that.

I have found that I always do well in TT's when I have "Carrots to chase down compared to when I'm on the road all by my self. I can push myself much harder when I have somebody to chase or when I'm in a group and people start to turn up the pace.

That's what makes TT's so hard...They are as much mental as they are physical and it's always a battle with yourself to push the whole way. I always finish TT's looking back and thinking I could have gone harder here, or there...In the end you just do as well as you can and push your self as far as your pain threshold will go :cryin:

If it was the Larch Mt. TT...are you going to the State ITT's this weekend?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Gnarly 928 said:
I 'spaced' the State TT sign up deadline and didn't register
Just an FYI......They made an addendum to the registration time and you can register through this Wednesday (not sure of the time deadline). So if you still want to race it you can.

Good luck on that 40k..I hear it is tough on the return leg.
Thanks,

Yea...I hear it's a very flat, but windy course. My start time is around 10:30am so I'm hoping that's before the wind has time to pick up. However, I'm last in my category to take off so at least I can see some of my competition in front of me to chase down.

Should be interesting regardless.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, thanks for the heads up about the extended registration time. See you there..I'll look around for the Big Guy that is all buffed now.
I go at 9:54 and have to beat an hour to be on my age podium..Sheesh!
This TT I will try to come across the line without a watt of power left in reserve..But as you said, it takes practice to learn to parse out your efforts and get good at TTing.
Good luck to you, too.
Don Hanson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.