Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
rocco said:
Even if I don't own a Colnago, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Fuji or etc. I think that's interesting information you've posted. It would be interesting to know what "high-end carbon-fiber bicycles" equates to in terms of a Colnago model name or names. Thanks.
I think it is pretty obvious. Like many "manufacturers" in the industry, Colnago will no longer manufacture bicycles. They will import and market them. Notice that the Trek carbon frames have moved to Giant as well. It won't be long before they are able to close the Wisconsin plant and lay off the workers there. Imagine paying $4000 for a frame that Colnago bought in Taiwan for $175 or so. Kinda grates, doesn't it?

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Even if I don't own a Colnago, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Fuji or etc. I think that's interesting information you've posted. It would be interesting to know what "high-end carbon-fiber bicycles" equates to in terms of a Colnago model name or names. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This appears to be the same rumor that went around last year. My understanding, directly from Colnago's mouth, is that some entry level bikes (aluminum I believe) will be made in Taiwan for the European market, and no, he is not selling a controlling interest in his compay. Colnago was very clear on this. If there was any substance to this source, I think the news would be everywhere by now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I have a Colnago President on order, the wait is long, gets worse all the time. It is costing me a fortune. I am not a snob, but I have worked hard as we all have to get beautiful bikes. I will be ticked if indeed these boutique frames are coming from Taiwan. Thats not what bothers me, it is the cost savings are not passed on.

Very interesting information though. As the above post, I did see a review of a Colnago at the lower ned that has come from Taiwan

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I agree with you. It's the trade rag writer using the term "high-end", not Colnago. Possibly they are going to shift all their CF production there, possibly they're going start producing a less expensive CF bike for the lower end market. I wouldn't read anything more into it than it says.

I was talking with a builder friend the other day who told me his prognostication - soon CF bikes will be sold at Target and Walmart. The material is going the way of commondity production, and more and more marketing companies will be riding that bandwagon, since the public will be asking for it.

It's funny though, this lingering perception that CF MFGerd in Taiwan is in some way inferior to something made in Italy. People couldn't buy enough of the Taiwanese Scotts when they hit the market, and no on disses Telekom for riding top-end Giants. Yet Colnago makes some announcements about MFGing lower end European market bikes over there and suddenly the marque has lost its luster. Honestly, people used to bash Colnagos because of the paint. Now they can bash them because of the country of origin. I think people just like to bash Colnago for what it seems to represent - a bike they can't afford.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Makes you wonder where indeed it will all end. Will they make porsche in Taiwan soon. I very much doubt it. It would destroy the brand. I sound racist, I dont at all mean it that way. I feel you need to have products at the very high end, gives the hard workers something to strive for.

It truly amazes me that Colnago got grief for there paint. That asstounds me, there paint is some of or if not the best in the industry.

I cannot wait for my President with the Leo Da V panit job, it is sex on toast. It will put a mile on my face a mile wide.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
whafe said:
It truly amazes me that Colnago got grief for there paint. That asstounds me, there paint is some of or if not the best in the industry.

They bashed it for chipping, apparently, not the paint scheme.

As for my opinion, yes, Taiwan makes great bikes, all of my bikes come from there, and it doesn’t bother me one bit, but, colnago is a Italian brand, with a long long history of handmade italian bikes, and allot of their marketing in the past was because of this fact, the racing history, the Italian mystique. Giant, and scott don't have this problem, because they market their bikes as lighter stiffer, whatever, and always have, not on history, and origin like colnago.

My next bike will be a american bike, most likly, becuase it's going to be custom.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GW1 said:
This appears to be the same rumor that went around last year. My understanding, directly from Colnago's mouth, is that some entry level bikes (aluminum I believe) will be made in Taiwan for the European market, and no, he is not selling a controlling interest in his compay. Colnago was very clear on this. If there was any substance to this source, I think the news would be everywhere by now.
How desperately they cling to the way they wish things were! This isn't a rumor. It is a news report based on a joint press release by Giant and Colnago. The CF frames for Colnago start shipping during the last half of 2006. Colnago is going to stop manufacturing bicycles, just like most other bicycle manufacturers.

Personally, I think the the Taiwanese make the best bicycle frames in the world. My problem is that of putting a Colnago price tag on one. I had a hard enough time with the price tag of the Italian made frames. Since I didn't care for the paint schemes I never really considered buying one. I don't have a problem with people spending their money on luxuries they enjoy. I do it myself. But I try to do it for products that have high intrinsic value or unusually high performance. Bicycle frames, unfortunately, don't represent that for me. Buying the Ferrari of bicycles isn't exactly the same as buying the Ferrari of automobiles, I'm afraid.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Do you remember?

This is from the 2005 Colnago catalogue:

Dear Friends In 2004, we’ve been celebrating the first 50 years of Colnago. We’ve celebrated by completely renewing our product line, above all with the new C50 and the fabulous Anniversary bicycle. But the renewal doesn’t stop there. Our new products are the fruits of our success from 2004. That’s why we’ve created an even lighter C50, thanks to the use of a new carbon fibre, and placed just below the C50, a new frame that offers exceptional performance and elegance, E-1. For the first time, Colnago presents a carbon fibre frame at a lower price than the C50. Made entirely in Italy. Carbon Fibre & Made in Italy are the strong points at Colnago. Since always, my bicycles have been Made in Italy, and I decided to focus on carbon fibre in the mid-1980’s, when this material was seen as an exotic way to make a racing bicycle. But, once again, I was ahead of my time. The bet I made twenty years ago has paid off, and has allowed Colnago to be seen as the unchallenged leader in high-end carbon fibre bicycles. Our leadership is thanks to the quality of our products, highest quality finishing, an elevated level of design and manufacturing thanks to years of collaboration with Ferrari, the Milano Politecnico, Istituto Scientifico Breda and ATR S.p.A.. Our continuous pursuit of perfection has convinced me more than ever of the wisdom of maintaining the production of Colnago in Italy. Because the only way to maintain the highest level of quality control is to have your products made in house. I just can’t understand the idea to have my bicycles made 10,000 kilometers away from Cambiago. Even if this means we can lower the costs. Even if we can sell more. Because Colnago means quality, not quantity. Choose quality, Made in Italy, carbonio, all of which I am proud of.

:eek: :mad:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
b987654 said:
who makes the high-end carbon orbeas?
And who makes the cervelo soloist?
thanks
Martec Composite Technologies of Taiwan makes the high end Orbea, Specialized and Kuota framesets and probably more brands.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Rogger, pretty hard to take what has happening now after reading your post. Humans do and can change there tact and mind set, but that read like Colnago would make no changes as drastic as this.

So where are all the other high end carbon fibre scooters being made?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Actually, in the olden days of this and other forums, people routinely bashed them for the paint scheme. It used to be the biggest complaint by non-owners. "I'd never ride anything so ugly as that." "It's too ______ a) garish, b)gaudy, c)gay, d)cheesy e) etc." And woe unto anyone who happened to own more than one. Those people were generally treated as though they'd stolen cases of formula from displaced Pakistani earthquake victims.

What many of those people were really saying was "I hate them because I can't afford them" having bought into the myth that Colnagos were in some manner more expensive than other, top-end breeds.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I'll be perfectly happy to admit it if I turn out to be wrong, but no matter how hard I read that press release, I don't see anything about Colnago ceasing production and becoming a marketing company.

I don't see mention of their lugged steel product, their aluminum products or any specifics about the C50 or President or their mountain bikes. The only difference between this press release and the one from last year is that the writer chose to use the term "high end." The last press release said "low end" and specifically stated that their "racing" line would continue to be made in Italy.

I guess we'll wait and see.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
terry b said:
I agree with you. It's the trade rag writer using the term "high-end", not Colnago. Possibly they are going to shift all their CF production there, possibly they're going start producing a less expensive CF bike for the lower end market. I wouldn't read anything more into it than it says.

I was talking with a builder friend the other day who told me his prognostication - soon CF bikes will be sold at Target and Walmart. The material is going the way of commondity production, and more and more marketing companies will be riding that bandwagon, since the public will be asking for it.

It's funny though, this lingering perception that CF MFGerd in Taiwan is in some way inferior to something made in Italy. People couldn't buy enough of the Taiwanese Scotts when they hit the market, and no on disses Telekom for riding top-end Giants. Yet Colnago makes some announcements about MFGing lower end European market bikes over there and suddenly the marque has lost its luster. Honestly, people used to bash Colnagos because of the paint. Now they can bash them because of the country of origin. I think people just like to bash Colnago for what it seems to represent - a bike they can't afford.

I agree with much of what you're saying though I could have had a Colnago many times over and yet I don't. It has had nothing to do with being able to afford one.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
fmw said:
I think it is pretty obvious. Like many "manufacturers" in the industry, Colnago will no longer manufacture bicycles. They will import and market them. Notice that the Trek carbon frames have moved to Giant as well. It won't be long before they are able to close the Wisconsin plant and lay off the workers there. Imagine paying $4000 for a frame that Colnago bought in Taiwan for $175 or so. Kinda grates, doesn't it?

I doubt I ever will pay $4000 for a frame that costs $175 to make and I doubt I'll ever own a Colnago, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Fuji or etc.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
terry b said:
Actually, in the olden days of this and other forums, people routinely bashed them for the paint scheme. It used to be the biggest complaint by non-owners. "I'd never ride anything so ugly as that." "It's too ______ a) garish, b)gaudy, c)gay, d)cheesy e) etc." And woe unto anyone who happened to own more than one. Those people were generally treated as though they'd stolen cases of formula from displaced Pakistani earthquake victims.

What many of those people were really saying was "I hate them because I can't afford them" having bought into the myth that Colnagos were in some manner more expensive than other, top-end breeds.
I think Colnago makes good bikes, and infact I've looked at them when I was looking in to purchasing a bike, and I have recently pondered one as a choice for my next bike. If you buy on in the US, IMHO, they are too expensive, from mike at everyone's favorite source for them, they are quite on par with other bikes. As for the colors, they make many different schemes, personally PRAL, is hot. But honestly I think I won't buy one, becuase I dono they just don't really call to me.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
rocco said:
I doubt I ever will pay $4000 for a frame that costs $175 to make and I doubt I'll ever own a Colnago, Giant, Trek, Specialized, Fuji or etc.
HAH! Just wait till time starts moving their production to taiwan! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.