Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of today's ride, I rolled over 24,000 miles on my Fuji Newest 3.0 with Alex R500 wheels and Sora 8-speed triple drive train. Save for chains, tires, and a bottom bracket, everything is original equipment.

I bought the Fuji, my first modern-day road bike, 9 years ago when I was 57 years of age and at about 225 pounds. Today, I'm at about 163 pounds and have been for a few years.

On an another cycling forum, Sora components, especially in the triple configuration, are somewhat maligned. It has been said that these components won't last, don't shift well, and require continual adjustment. As Sheldon Cooper would say, that's hokum. Actually, the Sora shifters have outlasted the 105s that I had on my first carbon fiber bike.

I've had to have a spoke replaced on the rear Alex R500 wheel on 7 occasions, but it's still running. The front wheel hasn't been touched except for bearing service.

Given the success and fun with the Fuji, I added a carbon fiber bike a few years back. After around 9,000 miles on that one, I had an issue with the frame, and the manufacturer warrantied a new frame, fork, and seatpost. It's the weekend bike.

Anyway, I consider another thousand on the Fuji as a little milestone. It and the components have been good to me.

·
Corey213
151 Posts
congrats! That is pretty cool. I'd say celebrate with a new bike but kind of defeats the purpose of your milestone. Each ride is a celebration

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
As of today's ride, I rolled over 24,000 miles on my Fuji Newest 3.0 with Alex R500 wheels and Sora 8-speed triple drive train. Save for chains, tires, and a bottom bracket, everything is original equipment.

I bought the Fuji, my first modern-day road bike, 9 years ago when I was 57 years of age and at about 225 pounds. Today, I'm at about 163 pounds and have been for a few years.

On an another cycling forum, Sora components, especially in the triple configuration, are somewhat maligned. It has been said that these components won't last, don't shift well, and require continual adjustment. As Sheldon Cooper would say, that's hokum. Actually, the Sora shifters have outlasted the 105s that I had on my first carbon fiber bike.

I've had to have a spoke replaced on the rear Alex R500 wheel on 7 occasions, but it's still running. The front wheel hasn't been touched except for bearing service.

Given the success and fun with the Fuji, I added a carbon fiber bike a few years back. After around 9,000 miles on that one, I had an issue with the frame, and the manufacturer warrantied a new frame, fork, and seatpost. It's the weekend bike.

Anyway, I consider another thousand on the Fuji as a little milestone. It and the components have been good to me.
I would be seriously pi$$ed if I had components (other than tires, chain & cassette) that were shot after 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like a huge milestone(s) to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My old Raleigh had Sora on it. I never had a problem with it. My Son's Giant has a Sora double on it. He has not had an issue with it. When I traded my Raleigh in on my Ridley the new bike had 105. I prefer that. Only because it shifts a little crisper and I prefer the double. There is nothing wrong in my eyes with a Sora groupset. Congrats on your milestone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts