Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY it is summer. LONG, COLD, WET spring might be over. I rode with nothing but bibs and jersey for almost a week now. I like that. 1348 miles (road, not rollers) ytd. I finally feel like I am getting my "summer legs"

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Well this was my Independence Day ride on my new-as-of-April built-from-parts gravel rig...2000 miles on it to date AAMOF. 3500miles or so total this year.

FML.

Yup. New RD hanger, new RD, partial wheel rebuild.

An Ultegra Di2 RD should never look like this FWIW:

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Well this was my Independence Day ride on my new-as-of-April built-from-parts gravel rig...2000 miles on it to date AAMOF. 3500miles or so total this year.

FML.

Yup. New RD hanger, new RD, partial wheel rebuild.

An Ultegra Di2 RD should never look like this FWIW:

Dang.... is the chain stay supposed to be bent like that? The other one looks straight so I hope it's not frame damage too. 🙁

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,963 Posts
Marc, how did that happen?
No idea, and that has been bugging me. Was coming out of a gravel roller, did a synchro downshift (down to granny gear in the front, up 3 gears in the back). Heard a terrible racket, and it got really hard to pedal real quick. Lucky I had good brakes, and I was on a high friction surface to kill my speed...otherwise the damage to the wheel would have been substantial enough to the wheel to cause it to fail.

Only theory I have...the synchro shift caused the chain to momentarily go slack enough to chainsuck behind the cassette.

Dang.... is the chain stay supposed to be bent like that? The other one looks straight so I hope it's not frame damage too. 

Frame is still straight it has wishbone stays top and bottom, only the D/S rear slider plate was bent at the hangar. It is just a funky camera angle (the D/S yoke near the crankset is engineered so it looks more funky), aside from the RD hanger, which is bent off-angle at about 30 degrees-inwards. The RD threads were partially ripped out of the hanger actually, I didn't remove the RD other than unplugging its cable.

Would have been rideable again today...wheel got fixed last night (D/S outer spokes got replaced...new RD hanger-slider arrived in the mail today...but friggin UPS somehow couldn't get my new RD onto a plane in Louisville yesterday afternoon. WTF

UPS said:
Louisville, KY, United States 07/07/2017 6:43 A.M. We were unable to load the package on the plane as scheduled. / Delivery will be rescheduled for Saturday.

Louisville, KY, United States 07/06/2017 12:37 P.M. Arrival Scan
<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 267.2px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
07/07/20176:43 A.M.We were unable to load the package on the plane as scheduled. / Delivery will be rescheduled for Saturday.
Louisville, KY, United States07/06/201712:37 P.M.Arrival Scan

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: none; font-size: inherit; color: inherit;">
</tbody>
</body>

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Glad you weren’t hurt, and the damage was repairable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got locked out of my own thread! Sheesh. I hate Tapatalk but for now, it's all I got (laptop is busy replaying today's stage) Marc, why you broke your bike? Bad plan my friend. 'specially if you don't have a few extras. You still have more miles than I do. Hey remember our discussion about sport tracks and Garmin? I got a new GPS, bluetooth connect with phone and just like you said, data is saved and on garmin connect before I get up my driveway. Then I download it and import to SportTracks, old habits die hard!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.