Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hammer
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I raced and time sure does fly by. plenty of grey hair has settled in and I'm not as lite as I used to be. My average speed has dropped a little on some of the routes I've done forever. So when you go out for a ride and the legs are feeling good on the first few climbs you add some more climbing to the route.
It's days like this that remind me I why I Love this incredible sport, makes me feel like a kid again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khXxnMBFakU

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
cycling is mostly cardio and as we age we don't lose that so much. i know plenty of men in their 50's and 60's and some even at 70 who are still very quick and good climbers

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
Bobby Dylan does it again! Thanks for the tune!

Just talked to my older brother hitting 76. He's been immobilized by a bad back. He mentioned this guy Dr. Sarto wrote a book on back pain. He says 95% of the time its emotional, not physical. Nature provided a strong back to the human anatomy.

Bike riding keeps the body toned for movement if rider is able to engage the upper body comfortably. It also feeds the emotions. It embraces the pain and works with it.

Around here, there are plenty of riders in their 60s but they disappear by their mid 70s. What's with that? I just turned 74. Every time I feel bad with whatever ache or pain demands my attention, and I force myself to take a bike ride, it works like medicine. After the ride I feel great! Like a dog who's just been let out to run. Do it at least once every two days and I remind myself who's in charge.

The problem is once someone comes down with some long term illness and can't ride for a while, by the time he recovers, he may have given up. After that, he may as well roll over and die. Society expects old people to do that, and are surprised when they don't.

So ride on bros. Giving up ain't worth shee-it. And Dr. Sarto says its all in the head!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Around here, there are plenty of riders in their 60s but they disappear by their mid 70s. What's with that? I just turned 74. Every time I feel bad with whatever ache or pain demands my attention, and I force myself to take a bike ride, it works like medicine. After the ride I feel great! Like a dog who's just been let out to run. Do it at least once every two days and I remind myself who's in charge.

The problem is once someone comes down with some long term illness and can't ride for a while, by the time he recovers, he may have given up. After that, he may as well roll over and die. Society expects old people to do that, and are surprised when they don't.

So ride on bros. Giving up ain't worth shee-it. And Dr. Sarto says its all in the head!
Use it, or lose it as they say.

Guys like you are who inspire me, a "young pup" of 55.

Rock on with your bad self Fredrico!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts