Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts
Sweet ride...did you treat the inside of the frame before the build? I am looking for suggestions on treating steel frames...
Keep thinking I should have! There is something around one sprays into a steel frame, but can't recall the name.

You have to do it when its new - once steel starts to rust, you can't get rid of it effectively, without a high speed sander or wire brush and putting anything atop the rust does nothing to stop it continuing on its merry way.

However, at 62 years old and having seen how long 'untreated' steel frames last, am not too bothered to be honest ;)

The snag with mine is, that seat tube. Those rings and their linings are paint, not decals. I once worked out the cost of that seat tube from Waterford's online custom paint page - it was up around $700 with all the masking off of lines.

When I got the BJ built, the only 'extra' I paid for was the chrome plating on the chain stays. I was discussing the paint job I wanted at BJ's shop - they both build and sell bikes from the same building - and they said it was great to do a paint job like that, too many folk just wanted a red bike. The seat tube rings, lug lining, etc come right out of the standard paint job from the 1960s.

If I ever have an urge to have her resprayed, will probably wait until we're off on holiday back to England - BJ's place is about 50 miles from where I grew up in England - get the frame boxed up and haul it over myself, just get it shipped back via World Class Cycles, their US agency. My last BJ was to the same pattern, but in red with white rings and head tube.

D

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.