Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rei.com/product/761468

I am looking at a K2 Easy Roller bike for playing at the park with the kids. REI haas these for basically half off, for a total of around $300 with tax. It uses the shimano Coaster drivetrain with three speed automatic shifting. I test road one today and it felt great. I'm not sure about the shifting, and yes the bike is heavy, but it was a blast to ride. The bouncy seatpost would have to go though... I don't like that you can't easily take the front wheel off for using skewers.

Do any of you (especially bike shop guys) have any input on the Shimano coasting setup? I think Giant and Trek and maybe others also have bikes with this setup. Ideas?

Todd

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I don't see how you can go wrong for the price. I rode a Trek Lime and was impressed with the automatic shifting. It would be a fun city bike.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That is one heck of a price but this is the deal breaker....

• This item is not eligible for a gift box.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
I like it, though I probably would never buy one myself. If they had handbrakes and a freewheel hub I might consider it. I really like that it has a front generator hub that powers the automatic electronic shifting. No batteries to replace, no shifting to worry about, more gears to get you over the hills. I like, for the most part.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice

As much as it might be a fun bike to ride, I have one concern. "Repairs"! We have two REI outlets where I live, and I'm sure the mechanics there are good at what they do. They offer training to the public so I would assume so. This appears to be new technology. I would hate to have to bring a bike like that to the LBS and have the mechanic shack his head with. "Gee, I've never seen anything like that before"! For me, if I was to purchase something like that, I would go with a standard Townie. Just something to think about.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
IMHO, I shy away from the "automatic" stuff, seems it's usually more trouble than fun in the long run. There are some really neat bikes at target for even less, and no I don't work for target....

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Looks like fun,

and it's nifty-looking, too. Though with that clean look it's a little disappointing that they couldn't do better than the tacky exposed wires from generator hub to frame to computer to hub shifter.

I wonder about the size of that markdown, and whether it suggests they have had problems. One of the (2) customer reviews on the REI website voices major complaints about the shifting system, but that judgment seems to based on brief test rides, so who knows.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I made the "mistake" of heading over to Performance Bike here in Austin and found a bike that I liked even better. It too was on sale. So I ended up with a single speed cruiser... It's a whole lot less to go wrong, slightly lighter, and I love the look and ride. What do you think?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25077&subcategory_ID=3060

It's a Schwinn Coffee single speed. I got it on sale for $250.

Todd

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
BoneDigger said:
What do you think?
I think it's perfect for your intended use. Have fun. Got fenders and rack, too. Get a pair of those grocery-bag panniers and you have a nice shopping-trip bike, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.