Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've been trying to get our legs back after a fairly mean winter around here. It's hard to come up with good rides around the Eastern flank of the Sierras this time of year as everything in the high country is filled with snow. After some consideration on Saturday morning we decided to join up with some friends a little ways south of us and to ride through Carson City, Nevada, through the Virginia City National Historic Landmark, back through Reno, and to the starting point. Makes for a great 60 mile loop with about 5400 foot of elevation gain. If there is one thing that this ride taught me though, was that my legs are still wimpy, gaining 900 foot of elevation in about one mile made me want to puke, and I'm very, very slow. Oh well, still got 60 miles in :).

We started out from our friends house high in the hills above Carson City. It was only a little above freezing but was supposed to warm up to around 60F with winds around 10-15mph. Not bad but we did have two issues. A constant headwind (around here the mountains guide the wind direction and I'm pretty sure it was always in our face) and we had to carry packs to carry all our warm weather gear when we stripped on the climbs.

Starting out was cold and lots of glare but I was glad to see no clouds in the sky. We then had to cut over to Highway 50 which is four lanes in this part of the area. Nice shoulders though. Those ranches being advertised are very special. For 300.00 per hour or for 500.00 for two hours you can get all the love you want (don't ask how I know this. . .but it isn't that!!). We then headed up Highway 341 into Virginia City. On the way up you are given a choice of taking the "Truck Route" or to stay on Main Street. The truck route keeps your grade below 8%. Main street ends in a mile long section of 16%,18%, and 19% steps. Ouch!

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/48085

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Into Virginia City

As you make your way up those nice "easy" grades you get lots of scenery of the old mines and plenty of old buildings and mining leftovers to look at. I really like the history of this area. A good friend of mine lives in Silver City. He is in the midst of setting up the town's first Cyber Coffe Cafe Emporium. Not sure what all that includes but I'm sure it'll be pretty fun knowing him. I hope the bike riders take advantage of it. I know he's hoping they'll stop by.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Around Virginia City and Down Geiger Grade

We went around Main Street Virginia City as there was some sort of shindig going on and the town was filled with tourists. B Street is a nice bypass and we avoid getting doored or run over. Geiger Grade is one of the funner climbs and descents around the area. Although we didn't climb it today, we sure had fun going down. I absolutely love seeing the snow covered Sierras in the distance this time of year. Just incredible. But, before you can enjoy the descent you have a 3.5 mile climb out of V.C. to the top. We ran into some snow and got some wonderful views out over the desert. I used to explore that area quite a bit. There's nothing out there but sagebrush, Pinion, and rocks. I love it.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On up Mt. Rose Highway

We ate lunch at a local sandwich shop in Reno and then began our climb up towards Mt. Rose. This is one of my favorite climbs in the summer, but right now you've got to have a bit of deathwish climbing this with all the slightly tipsy skiers coming down. Also the road has ice, sand, and melting snow issues. We went as far as Galena and then took some back roads to descend into Washoe Valley. The views sure are great along here, but it is four lane highway with about a six foot shoulder. In Washoe Valley we took a popular route known as Franktown Road basically back to our friend's place. Made for a great day.

Also I think spring is finally beginning to spring around here. Some little tiny flowers are poking out of the desert hardpan. Of couse they are predicting up to 100mph winds here tomorrow night. Yikes!!!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Oh man that looks nice.

BTW Quite a few years ago Miss M and I met riding across Nevada with a group. When we passed Kates Kit Kat Ranch one of the fellas explained to Miss M what they raised there.......

The look on her face was priceless.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
That looks like a great ride. Thanks for the report.

·
Reality Star
893 Posts
To whom it may concern:

Caltrans has opened Monitor Pass on Thursday March 25th !!! It is open all the way thru to US 395. That may be a record for an early opening.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a little worried about the next couple of days on whether it will be closed again. Supposed to snow up there (and where you live maybe :)). I'll be checking it out in a couple of weeks either way!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a memorial to a lady that was killed by a drunk driver. It's been there ever since I can remember.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks, RT. Those grades are where Greg Lemond as a young teenager first showed he had some talent for riding a bike.

Some of those shots made me a little homesick, even though Reno hasn't really been home for a long time.

Home means Nevada,
Home means the hills,
Home means the sage and the pines.
Out by the Truckee's silvery rills.
Out where the sun always shines.
There is the land that I love the best,
Fairer than all I can see.
Right in the heart of the golden west,
Home means Nevada to me.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Nice pics. Thanks.

(Did you see the Cartwrights?)

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Saw some "cowboys" walking around the edge of town but didn't stop to see if it was Hoss and the gang or not :).

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I have a friend from Dayton. Cool to see the country around there. As always great pics.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ridgetop said:
We went as far as Galena and then took some back roads to descend into Washoe Valley.
Oh, yeah- you still manage to ride through the gates into Joy Lakes becaue of your resemeblance to one of the residents? That`s a very handy trait to have!

Very nice pics, RT. I`m glad I caught this report before it disappeared. Our computer at work is having some kind of argument with mtbr and rbr lately and for some reason it now locks up when I try to access either of these sites :( I guess I could always surf from home on my own time...

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
what kind of livestock do they have on those 'ranches'? lol...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The ones witch make lots of fake "moooos" :).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts