Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to me that the ITTs are too dominant in the grand tours these days; and that the TT bikes have become too extreme.

My proposal: Every bike ridden in the TT must also be ridden in at least one complete road stage.

Discuss.

·
VIP
275 Posts
Yeah while we're at it lets penalize the climbers for being fast up hills, make them carry bricks, YEAH that's the armchair cyclists logic! Woooo.

No.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
So if everyone rides their TT bike on the same stage doesn't that negate everything?

The TT bikes are just about the same across teams and riders. Let them decide it on the road and not in the rule books.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The extreme nature of the time trial aero movement is the last true technological frontier of the sport. The biggest new advances year to year come as a result of time trial and aero based changes. All the teams minus a few of the rare smaller ones have bikes very close in performance to one another and they advance in small increments one followed by another. Its not like the bikes of one team totally destroy the balance of the race. Limiting certain factors of the bikes has always been in the rules and the bikes just push as close to that line as they can.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I'd actually just like them to use the same bike for all stages. Unless of course there is a mechanical or something, but then change to a bike of the same style.

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
There is only one way to settle this.

Big Wheels down Alp d'Huez

·
Registered
962 Posts
The effect of a TT has a lot to do with the make up of the rest of the the stages. Take for example the most recent ToC. Although there were some heavy climbs, all the stages ended with a long flat run out. This allowed many of the gaps created in the mountains to be closed and minimized by strong team effort.

Without a proper sorting out in the climbs, all was left to the TT to separate the men from the boys.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Can't say I think this is a good idea. The climbs probably do more to sort out GC than the TT's.

If I was going to make any change to Grand Tours, it would be to get rid of flat stages, other than the sprint they're very predictable. Acceptable break finally forms, break goes up the road, break is kept in check by GC leaders team and reeled in near the end, sprinters team takes over pace making, break is caught, leadout, sprint. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

I do however like the idea of using Big Wheels. Are the riders allowed to have the power slide bar, or is that too advanced for the UCI

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
OP needs a history lesson: ITT time differences among GC contenders are a lot smaller these days than in the past - Indurain, Roche, etc used to get many minutes on the climbers. These days 'climbers' are much close - Contador actually beat Wiggins in the prologue of P-N ...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
saird said:
Yeah while we're at it lets penalize the climbers for being fast up hills, make them carry bricks, YEAH that's the armchair cyclists logic! Woooo.

No.
That was the valid counterpoint when TdF limited losses in the TTT's to 20 seconds because they didn't have the foresight to make a course that prevented huge time gaps. The Giro did it much better a couple years later.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
And to add to the ops history lesson..

stevesbike said:
OP needs a history lesson: ITT time differences among GC contenders are a lot smaller these days than in the past - Indurain, Roche, etc used to get many minutes on the climbers. These days 'climbers' are much close - Contador actually beat Wiggins in the prologue of P-N ...
And to add to said history lesson, someone should go back and look at some of the TT bikes that were used prior to any real aero rules being put into place. The TT bikes are actually a lot less "extreme" now, than they used to be. For the most part, TT bikes today are "standard" double triangle bikes that are shaped to be a little more aero. There are plenty of triathlon bikes out there that are more aero, and not legal for use in UCI races.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts