Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me tell you, this felt sooo good!

I'm riding on the shoulder of a two lane highway where passing is allowed and the road is straight. I see a line of cars ahead in the oncoming lane. One motorist has already completed a pass of a slower moving truck that is in the front of the line. Now, another motorist decides he's got to pass even though I'm going to be right there in the shoulder as he makes his pass, an illegal as hell move because of my position, but he goes anyway.

I'm really anticipating this bonehead and as he passes with me in the shoulder and him eight feet away at 60 mph I give him a big squirt of Gatorade.

What a lovely sound that liquid made as it got the windshield!!!!

Yeah!!!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
Then...

Breakfast said:
Let me tell you, this felt sooo good!

I'm riding on the shoulder of a two lane highway where passing is allowed and the road is straight. I see a line of cars ahead in the oncoming lane. One motorist has already completed a pass of a slower moving truck that is in the front of the line. Now, another motorist decides he's got to pass even though I'm going to be right there in the shoulder as he makes his pass, an illegal as hell move because of my position, but he goes anyway.

I'm really anticipating this bonehead and as he passes with me in the shoulder and him eight feet away at 60 mph I give him a big squirt of Gatorade.

What a lovely sound that liquid made as it got the windshield!!!!

Yeah!!!!!
Then taken aback by something that just hit his windshield, he swerves, takes you, and other vehicles out. Sure, it didn't happen, but it could. Keep the Gatorade in the bottle champ, you'll live longer.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Umm...

I was locking my bike to a parking meter out in front of a local restaurant a few months ago. A guy who looked like Sylvester Stalone was just sitting in his Jaguar, parked in the metered space. As I was balancing my bike and in the process of locking it up, the front wheel turned to the side and the tire bumped his car. I didn't think anything of it, as tire rubber isn't the most abrasive substance on the planet. The guy throws open his driver side door and starts screaming at me. "Hey why don't you watch what the f*%k you're doing! Why the f&%k you hitting my car, huh!?" He starts gesturing at me and continues yelling. I said that I hardly thought a rubber tire was going to do any damage to his car and that I was just locking up my bike, but I said I was sorry nonetheless. He kept pointing at me and yelling, "You gonna pay for the f%$king damage to my paint, huh? You gonna f*%king pay for it?" He kept mumbling to himself, before turning around and walking across the street to the nastiest dive bar in the neighborhood.

Maybe somebody ran over his puppy that day. I don't know. But you never do.

What I do know is that people can be exceptionally irrational about their cars, and occasionally they can be dangerous.

Please keep in mind that the driver you had a run-in with most likely didn't see an individual on a bike who squirted his windshield, but rather a cyclist. In the future, how do you think he'll view other cyclists given his previous encounter with you? :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
magnolialover said:
Then taken aback by something that just hit his windshield, he swerves, takes you, and other vehicles out. Sure, it didn't happen, but it could. Keep the Gatorade in the bottle champ, you'll live longer.
Thanks, sport.

BTW, it would be impossible for said driver to experience the Gatorade on his windshield then swerve and hit the bike rider who delivered the sticky substance due to the fact that a spray of liquid from bike bottle is not faster than the passing car. Therefore, motorist runs into liquid at, or slightly after he passes bicycle. Also, so we're clear, I was riding solo and nobody else was in either shoulder.

Lastly, guy making pass was on cell phone. I enjoyed my accuracy and timing to nail the guy. Pretty tame stuff compared to irresponsible driving, don't ya think?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Making It Worse

Breakfast said:
Let me tell you, this felt sooo good!

I'm riding on the shoulder of a two lane highway where passing is allowed and the road is straight. I see a line of cars ahead in the oncoming lane. One motorist has already completed a pass of a slower moving truck that is in the front of the line. Now, another motorist decides he's got to pass even though I'm going to be right there in the shoulder as he makes his pass, an illegal as hell move because of my position, but he goes anyway.

I'm really anticipating this bonehead and as he passes with me in the shoulder and him eight feet away at 60 mph I give him a big squirt of Gatorade.

What a lovely sound that liquid made as it got the windshield!!!!

Yeah!!!!!
IMO I think you made a bad situation worse. :rolleyes:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Big picture?

Breakfast said:
I enjoyed my accuracy and timing to nail the guy. Pretty tame stuff compared to irresponsible driving, don't ya think?
I guess if the enraged driver pulled a U and came to run you down it wouldn't be as much fun then? We have all done immature things, but this is a story of what not to do. The risk vs. reward ratio isn't right.

Be safe.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Could have been a different outcome

Breakfast said:
I'm really anticipating this bonehead and as he passes with me in the shoulder and him eight feet away at 60 mph I give him a big squirt of Gatorade.

What a lovely sound that liquid made as it got the windshield!!!!

Yeah!!!!!
It would be a different feeling if there wasn't a wide shoulder. You might have had to take the ditch if there was one... We might have heard your rant... from the hospital.:eek:ut:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
This is a comeuppance story!

I live in Hampstead in London. The road I ride home on is a 8% rise that narrows and kicks up to 10% at the top.

Anyway, one evening I get some grief from an impatient driver, who happens to be on his mobile phone, as the road narrows. I can't let him through as there is nowhere to pull in, so he leans on his horn and yells abuse for 100+ yards. We stop at a pedestrian crossing and he carries on yelling.

Unfortunately, there are two policemen standing on the pacement (sidewalk) watching. I saw them 50 yards earlier so instead of returning insults I just call them over.

Next thing the driver knows he's been pulled over and given a lecture about driving without a seat belt, using the phone having passengers without seat belts etc. I waited for a minute or so, and left before I started laughing out loud.

Revenge is sweet!
 

· Palm trees & sunshine!
Joined
·
24,208 Posts
Breakfast said:
Let me tell you, this felt sooo good!

I'm riding on the shoulder of a two lane highway where passing is allowed and the road is straight. I see a line of cars ahead in the oncoming lane. One motorist has already completed a pass of a slower moving truck that is in the front of the line. Now, another motorist decides he's got to pass even though I'm going to be right there in the shoulder as he makes his pass, an illegal as hell move because of my position, but he goes anyway.

I'm really anticipating this bonehead and as he passes with me in the shoulder and him eight feet away at 60 mph I give him a big squirt of Gatorade.

What a lovely sound that liquid made as it got the windshield!!!!

Yeah!!!!!
Wait... he passed you with 8 feet of clearance? That musta been a big-ass shoulder. I'm regularly passed at 60 with less than 3 feet of clearance with only thing between me and the car being the white line on the pavement.
 

· Pixie Sticks and Politics
Joined
·
716 Posts
ultimobici said:
I live in Hampstead in London. The road I ride home on is a 8% rise that narrows and kicks up to 10% at the top.

Anyway, one evening I get some grief from an impatient driver, who happens to be on his mobile phone, as the road narrows. I can't let him through as there is nowhere to pull in, so he leans on his horn and yells abuse for 100+ yards. We stop at a pedestrian crossing and he carries on yelling.

Unfortunately, there are two policemen standing on the pacement (sidewalk) watching. I saw them 50 yards earlier so instead of returning insults I just call them over.

Next thing the driver knows he's been pulled over and given a lecture about driving without a seat belt, using the phone having passengers without seat belts etc. I waited for a minute or so, and left before I started laughing out loud.

Revenge is sweet!

I like this comeuppance story better!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
I had to leave pretty quickly as it was hurting me keeping a straight face.

One policeman was talking to him along the lines of "So sir, do you consider it wise to use your phone whilst driving? If so it might be prudent for you and your passengers to wear seat belts....." The tone he was using was so patronising, but the guy could say nothing as he was totally in the wrong!
 

· RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,513 Posts
KenB said:
Wait... he passed you with 8 feet of clearance? That musta been a big-ass shoulder. I'm regularly passed at 60 with less than 3 feet of clearance with only thing between me and the car being the white line on the pavement.
+1. Some people have nearly knocked me off the bike, elbow to mirror at 60mph hurts like h3ll!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
I got someone with the water bottle to

I was riding the other day and stoped on the interstate overpass to take a drink and eat a powerbar, laughing at the traffic all stopped below for construction then a bmw pulls on the left shoulder and starts passing cars so as he got closer i let a squirt go I think everyone else was happy with what i did I had a good laugh. yea it wasn't nice but we have all been there and it always has pissed me off.
 

· Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
KenB said:
Wait... he passed you with 8 feet of clearance? That musta been a big-ass shoulder. I'm regularly passed at 60 with less than 3 feet of clearance with only thing between me and the car being the white line on the pavement.
Yeah. That's typical of most of my experiences, too.:yesnod:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
As others...

Breakfast said:
Thanks, sport.

BTW, it would be impossible for said driver to experience the Gatorade on his windshield then swerve and hit the bike rider who delivered the sticky substance due to the fact that a spray of liquid from bike bottle is not faster than the passing car. Therefore, motorist runs into liquid at, or slightly after he passes bicycle. Also, so we're clear, I was riding solo and nobody else was in either shoulder.

Lastly, guy making pass was on cell phone. I enjoyed my accuracy and timing to nail the guy. Pretty tame stuff compared to irresponsible driving, don't ya think?
As others have said, what if said person turned around, came back past you, swerved at you, hit you, or forced you off the road, stopped his car, come out of it, and then beat you to a pulp, or worse yet, killed you. 8 feet of clearance? Please, that's enough room for you and almost 2 cars. Next time you feel like making a motorist mad, don't. It looks bad for the rest of us, and as you're mom used to tell you, I'm sure, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

In most places, talking on a cell phone, while driving, is not illegal. In some States it is. Is it in yours?

Irresponsible driving and irresponsible bike riding in both cases here that you made. It was silly, and could have caused someone some damage. Last I need to see is yet another story on here about bike rider mowed down and killed. You must not have been at this riding bikes stuff very long methinks if you're acting like this. Get used to it, or start riding off road where you just have to deal with po'd hikers.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whatever.

You know I've been riding long enough. Maybe it's a personal issue, I'm not perfect, I'm human. I have issues. So do you.

It really bothers me that someone would pass cars when a bicycle is oncoming traffic and the motorist thinks nothing of it. Eight feet measured or estimated feels like two feet when I'm moving at 25 mph and the passing (oncoming) vehicle is 60-65 mph. That's 85-90 mph combined.

Oh yeah, he could turn around and murder me with his car. Most a**holes won't though. I think just riding annoys enough people, I'm an ambassador of good will to nice motorists/bicyclists on my bike or in my car. I don't need to educate an ignorant driver by always being passive and taking the abuse. My call.

You make fine points, Magnolia, but you weren't there. Most times I get abused and suffer intimidation by fast moving, and escaping motorists I shudder, pull my chamois out my orifice and cuss under my breath. But to squirt and score in this case was sweet and sticky revenge. Yeah.

So, say what you will, I know what I did has risks just like the lottery but I wanted to share my anecdote. Not necessarily be judged by my righteous peers.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I let myself down on Saturday.

I was halfway in to a 4 hour ride and came upon some road construction on a 2 way street in a small town. The flag man had our lane stopped and so I circled in an adjacent driveway to a small strip mall until the flag man let us go. He did, and I went after the second car. I stayed as far right as possible with my bars almost tipping the orange cones, and the mini-van behind me didn't pass me. The construction area was only about 200 meters long, I think they were only pulling up the temporary yellow line so a new one could be painted. After I passed the ending flag man, I pulled all the way to the right again and continued riding on the shoulder. The mini-van floored it past me as a sloppy looking overweight older man was hainging out the passenger window yelling to me that as a cyclist I also have to abide by the F'ing rules of the road, and I should F this and F that. I allowed myself to get worked up and shouted a few choice words back at him.

Well, the mini-van stopped at the red stop light just a few hundred meters up the road. As I passed the passenger flung open the door as wide and as quickly as possible in an attempt to hit me with it. Fortunately, there was enough room on the shoulder and I was half-expecting it. We exchanged some more foul language and gestures and I continued on my way, turning right at the light. They turned the same way and honked/shouted/whatever again as they passed and I gave them a final one-finger wave goodbye.

I had some time to reflect on the incident and now I realize that the best thing to do would hav been to simply ignore the whole thing to the greatest extent possible. I should have just not even acknowledged this guy trying his best to be a jacka--. By returning the gestures and language, it just encouraged him more and worse still- gave a bad impression of cyclists to him and the few other motorists around who witnessed it.

So, I want to apologize to the cycling community (at least those who read this forum) for my behavior, and say publicly that I will work on restraining myself in the future.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top