Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about your daily routes, but commuting in LA can get a little lonely at times. Everyday as I see thousands upon thousands of people go by in cars, I ask myself- Why is it just me and a few other wackos on bikes? Sometimes it would be nice just to ride even a few miles with someone, chat for a few minutes, and part ways. Now I'm not saying that I'm fast or anything, but my Latino brothers on their squeaky beaters just can't keep up. Until now that is.

A couple of weeks ago riding west on Venice Blvd., I felt that thing you feel when you sense someone on your wheel. I turned my head and there was a dude, hauling ass, with a big grin on his face. I pulled for about another mile, then turned off and he continued. About a week later I saw him again. This time I was following him. Jeans, old backpack, workboots. But a beautiful pedal stoke. You can tell when someone really rides. He was on an old lugged steel Trek roadbike with crappy platform pedals, no clips, nothing. At a light I said, "How's it going?" He smiled, but I could tell that he didn't speak much English.

Well today all of a sudden he's on my ass again. Same grin, same big work boots, same flawless form. I thought- I gotta talk to this guy. This time I spoke to him in Spanish. Turns out he's from El Salvador and raced for many years as a young man in Central America. This guys has two restaurant jobs. He rides to both daily, one way out to the east, and the other on the westside with time in between to go kiss his wife and kids at home before riding on. 50 km six days a week!

This is what I love about LA.

I look forward to riding with him.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
northcoast said:
Turns out he's from El Salvador and raced for many years as a young man in Central America. This guys has two restaurant jobs. He rides to both daily, one way out to the east, and the other on the westside with time in between to go kiss his wife and kids at home before riding on. 50 km six days a week!
With his bicycle background I was thinking he ought to get a job in a bike shop.......but then I remember that in LA he is likely getting paid more in a restaurant.

Find out where he works and go get yourself one heck of a good meal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey northcoast, I've been loking for you lately.

I seem to remember that your commute time is pre-sunrise. The last couple of days I've been on Venice going westbound from Crenshaw to Overland at around 5:30 AM.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
el gee said:
I seem to remember that your commute time is pre-sunrise. The last couple of days I've been on Venice going westbound from Crenshaw to Overland at around 5:30 AM.
Hey gee,
For about the last 8 months or so I've been riding Pico in the morning to the east. On the way home I ride Venice west to San Vicente, then to Wilshire (home).
Take care,

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
bravo!

that's great - really heartening! nice when the simple love of cycling can bridge the gap (pardon the pun) between folks and make this big town a little smaller...

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
coincidence? I think not...

northcoast said:
Now I'm not saying that I'm fast or anything, but my Latino brothers on their squeaky beaters just can't keep up. Until now that is.

cool story TY. I read this yesterday, then hopped on the Surly to commute downtown this morning. I was riding down Figueroa and felt The Presence. I did a quick "shadow check" and saw that someone was behind me. A Latino bro in street clothes on a Cannondale roadie. At a red light I noticed that he was now up on the sidewalk for safety, while I was out in the lanes. The light turned green and I shouted "andale!" and took off. He had a big grin and took off behind me. At every light he'd go for the sidewalk instead of wait in traffic.

It was a fun little cat 'n mouse session that lasted a few blocks.

HW

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
northcoast said:
This time I spoke to him in Spanish. Turns out he's from El Salvador and raced for many years as a young man in Central America.
Tomas:

That's a great story. About a year ago, my company hired a guy who's from Guatemala. It's cool because we sometimes speak only spanish at work just so I can learn some new stuff. I can't speak it so well, but I can pretty much, understand everything I hear. He's a funny guy.

That's awesome that you made a friend on your commute route, keep it up!

Arby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts