Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years, I have litigated a fair number of cases involving employee non-competition/non-disclosure agreements. The cases have involved persons in various sales and executive positions -- stockbrokers, insurance agents, corporate executives, etc. However, I never have had anything like this -- a non-compete case involving an employee of an "adult showclub." http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...C6A7FC889885BBE08625757600031F46?OpenDocument Some other people get to have all of the fun. :p

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
bodacious, bouncing bewbies are big, BIG business, buddy. We've got to nip this stealing-of-strippers thing in the bud! No telling where it might lead.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i never understood how you can legally keep a person from earning a living.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
tomk96 said:
i never understood how you can legally keep a person from earning a living.
it totaly depends on the industry- give telecom environmental for one- there are only a certain number of clients to do work for (tmo, at&t, etc) and if you leave one company to work for another, the previous co obviously doesnt want you taking their bread and butter away.

yes, I've had to sign these damn things before. usually a hiatus from the industry seems to help.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
It's also funny that the guy was fired because of the club's no punch policy. I think that clubs that don't have one should be required to post a sign that says "This club does not have a no punch policy."

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Any strip club that has a "no punch policy," is my kind of place.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
2cflyr said:
it totaly depends on the industry- give telecom environmental for one- there are only a certain number of clients to do work for (tmo, at&t, etc) and if you leave one company to work for another, the previous co obviously doesnt want you taking their bread and butter away.

yes, I've had to sign these damn things before. usually a hiatus from the industry seems to help.
Usually you sign one to get severance payment. Otherwise you'd be free to compete.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Usually you sign one to get severance payment. Otherwise you'd be free to compete.
i signed mine for i started.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
So as a lawyer, you would have to do extensive research AND get to bill the club......

does the retainer come in dollar bills?

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
jupiterrn said:
So as a lawyer, you would have to do extensive research AND get to bill the club......

does the retainer come in dollar bills?

About ten years ago one of my partners represented a guy that was injured at a strip club. The story was the guy was sitting in the front row, starting making cracks (poor choice of words?) about the dancer, she became offended and leapt from the stage landing on the guys chest. She then proceeded to bludgeon him about the head with her ample ta ta's. He claimed neck and back injuries. My partner took the case for the "discovery" and "personal inspection of the defendant's weapons of choice" :D

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
I prefer the places that will punch you in the face. They tend to have more shenanigans/fun goings on, and therefore provide a more memorable experience. And how do you curb these activities without punches?

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Depends on the State. I signed one at my current and last gigs, but after talking to an attorney he found non-competes are pretty much un-enforceable in CO.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
PDex said:
Depends on the State. I signed one at my current and last gigs, but after talking to an attorney he found non-competes are pretty much un-enforceable in CO.
Yup...as it's an "at-will" state. The only time I know people sign them at my employer (telecom) is when they are getting laid off and they are eligible for a severance. And even then it's for a limited time. Usually the duration of the severance payments.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I've signed one at hire, and we renew it every year along with the rest of my employment contract. The Co is in MI and claims MI as the state of action, while I'm in TX.

In my line of work, I'd be hard pressed to make a living if I had to abide by a non-compete. But I'm happy here and things are going well so I'm not realy worried.

·
Cap'n of Industry
1,753 Posts
I was once forced to sign one at a manufacturing business with nothing to steal in the first place. I'm sure it would have held up real well if challenged. After 2 or 3 years there the boss drew up a non disclosure/non compete agreement on his own and printed it off. Then he told the entire company sign this right now or you're fired immediately. We all signed it and hoped for a chance to test its validity. Never had the chance.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Hmmm.

Wait.

What is an adult showclub exactly?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
funknuggets said:
Hmmm.

Wait.

What is an adult showclub exactly?
The Complaint that was filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Illinois does not give many details. Given that my personal experience with the general industry at issue is limited to about 5 or 6 occasions over the past 30 years (and the last of which was about 8 years ago), I can't give you an exact answer. My bachelor party days are over; most of my friends either are now married or "confirmed bachelors." Since this place almost is in Missouri, maybe some of you who live in the "Show Me State" could take a field trip across the Mississippi River and report back to the rest of us. :D

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
ooooooooooooohhhhh.....

MarkS said:
The Complaint that was filed in the US District Court for the Southern District of Illinois does not give many details. Given that my personal experience with the general industry at issue is limited to about 5 or 6 occasions over the past 30 years (and the last of which was about 8 years ago), I can't give you an exact answer. My bachelor party days are over; most of my friends either are now married or "confirmed bachelors." Since this place almost is in Missouri, maybe some of you who live in the "Show Me State" could take a field trip across the Mississippi River and report back to the rest of us. :D

one of THOSE. I think I saw one of those places in the movie Closer, or more recently in The Wrestler, but one can't be too sure. I agree, more field research is needed.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
The case was filed in federal court in East St. Louis by IRC LP, on behalf of its Penthouse Club, against the former director of the its VIP room, Michael P. McLean.... The suit says that since his dismissal, McLean violated a confidentiality agreement and noncompete clause of his contract by getting a job at Hollywood and using the valuable information and training he got at Penthouse to recruit strippers and VIPs.
Valuable information and training? Not only did he take that valuable information and training and use it. He even posted it on the internet:
<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfwZ3o5dCV8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
Now how they gonna get VIPs to pay $1000 a year for access to the champagne room?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.