Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of the type of guy you would not want to meet and go for a ride with.

Over in General there is a post
( http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=58082 )
that highlights the immature selfish nature of too many people in our society.

Certainly a guy I would not want to have a riding pal, or frankly even know.

Just a pathetic response to the death of an innocent creature.

·
170 Posts
Really?

He didn't hit the dog and the dog wasn't killed on account of him. The owner was just careless. The dog could have knocked him off his bike and broken his collarbone (like the guy a few posts down the thread).

Tough love. Honestly, I'm not a completely heartless person in real life, just rational.

·
Registered
137 Posts
toomanybikes said:

The guy didn't need to sound so gleeful about the dog's death... and mentioning that he "only" got a "small amount of poop" on his bike just makes him look like an ass. But what're you gonna do?

There are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.

·
170 Posts
sianne said:
The guy didn't need to sound so gleeful about the dog's death... and mentioning that he "only" got a "small amount of poop" on his bike just makes him look like an ass.
He didn't say he "only" got a slightly splattered bike. He said, "Dog is killed and thrown about 100 feet ahead. I get a small amount of poop splattered on my bike." He was only relieved he didn't get knocked off his bike.

I agree, though, wasn't the dog's fault the owner was careless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
PeatD said:
He didn't say he "only" got a slightly splattered bike. He said, "Dog is killed and thrown about 100 feet ahead. I get a small amount of poop splattered on my bike." He was only relieved he didn't get knocked off his bike.

I agree, though, wasn't the dog's fault the owner was careless.
I apologize profusely to the quote police, I guess I should have italicized since I was paraphrasing...

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Aww, poor pooch.

I use one of those leashes. I don't trust it. Even when I have it in the locked position, when I get near the street, I hold the cord with my other hand just in case.

·
Registered
137 Posts
PeatD said:
Anyways, what say we end this pointless thread?
Why? That's the whole point of the lounge.

Unless you're siding with the OP, then of course you want to sweep this under the rug as quickly as possible...

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Not to be insensitive... I'd feel terrible if this happened to me (I love dogs), but this reminded me of my favorite dog ownage picture:

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
The OP didn't strike me as too bad - at least he stopped and called the police. But the poster with the fred flintstone avatar? :mad: I hope in his next life he comes back as a bug.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snapdragen said:
The OP didn't strike me as too bad - at least he stopped and called the police. But the poster with the fred flintstone avatar? :mad: I hope in his next life he comes back as a bug.
Agreed on Fred Flintstone.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
ok folks.

I agree with the tone of the OP being a little 'yo-boy'. however, and please take this in the nicest way: You. Were. Not. There. beware when projecting your personal 'stuff' onto someone else's experience. You don't know the guy in RL. he /she might be a jackass. he/she may be awesome. he/she might in fact just be bored and trolling.

Lots of us are way, way different as meat people than the personas we project on teh intrawebs. I've lots of up-close-and-personal experience with this.

My x was taken down by a dog on a zip-lead. Cost him a busted shoulder, lots of downtime at work, couple grand worth of hospital bills, $500 for bike damage. Owner was a complete asshat about it, too. so am I inclined to be more sympathetic to the OP than the dog? perhaps.

and please, suburbanites, spare me the 'my precious fluffy' stories, cos I'm not interested. I grew up on a 40 acre farm and was heavily involved in 4-H and worked as a veterinary assistant. I adore animals. that does not excuse people from taking responsible care of them and keeping in mind AT ALL TIMES that they are ANIMALS. stop anthropomorphising. love them, pet them, cuddle them, CONTROL AND DISCIPLINE them, give them comfort and when they become too feeble / ill / in pain to continue, then by all means shed a tear and for god's sake give them a peaceful passage.

if I get taken out by a dog, I'm gonna be furious. I have been known to take down known, vicious repeated chasers with a good, hard whack with the Campag steel pump head, and not much care whether the dog ever got up again. When it's a question of Fluffy vs. #1, guess who loses? I don't much care for dogs in general, tho I've known and owned specific dogs that I adore(d). keep in mind before you flame me: you don't know the whole story, we're entitled to our opinions, and opinions are like you-know-whats...

/editorialising

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
lonefrontranger said:
ok folks.

I agree with the tone of the OP being a little 'yo-boy'. however, and please take this in the nicest way: You. Were. Not. There. beware when projecting your personal 'stuff' onto someone else's experience. You don't know the guy in RL. he /she might be a jackass. he/she may be awesome. he/she might in fact just be bored and trolling.

Lots of us are way, way different as meat people than the personas we project on teh intrawebs. I've lots of up-close-and-personal experience with this.

My x was taken down by a dog on a zip-lead. Cost him a busted shoulder, lots of downtime at work, couple grand worth of hospital bills, $500 for bike damage. Owner was a complete asshat about it, too. so am I inclined to be more sympathetic to the OP than the dog? perhaps.

and please, suburbanites, spare me the 'my precious fluffy' stories, cos I'm not interested. I grew up on a 40 acre farm and was heavily involved in 4-H and worked as a veterinary assistant. I adore animals. that does not excuse people from taking responsible care of them and keeping in mind AT ALL TIMES that they are ANIMALS. stop anthropomorphising. love them, pet them, cuddle them, CONTROL AND DISCIPLINE them, give them comfort and when they become too feeble / ill / in pain to continue, then by all means shed a tear and for god's sake give them a peaceful passage.

if I get taken out by a dog, I'm gonna be furious. I have been known to take down known, vicious repeated chasers with a good, hard whack with the Campag steel pump head, and not much care whether the dog ever got up again. When it's a question of Fluffy vs. #1, guess who loses? I don't much care for dogs in general, tho I've known and owned specific dogs that I adore(d). keep in mind before you flame me: you don't know the whole story, we're entitled to our opinions, and opinions are like you-know-whats...

/editorialising
i need some meat people action of the female gender.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Strikes me the fault was with the dogs owner, the cyclist just happened to be there.

toomanybikes said:

How you can find any fault with the poster is beyond me. Just think what could have happened if that out of control dog had caught him.

It is a shame about the dog-it is a shame that its owner didn't take the time to train it not to chase and a shame that the owner didn't keep control of the situation.

Now then, what exactly did the cyclist do to merit your wrath other than exist?

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
MB1 said:
How you can find any fault with the poster is beyond me. Just think what could have happened if that out of control dog had caught him.

It is a shame about the dog-it is a shame that its owner didn't take the time to train it not to chase and a shame that the owner didn't keep control of the situation.

it is very difficult to train some dogs not to chase.. those should not be let out of the leash. actually, no dog should be let out of a leash unless in dog parks IF it's a well socialized dog.
some breeds are trainable. others are not.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
MB1 said:

Agreed MB - it is the owner's fault. I didn't really see the OP as behaving like "Oh boy! This dog charged me and died! Yay!" He did stop, and called the police, and made a statement. He also questions why anyone would use that type of leash on a busy road. I do too - even in my little utopian suburb, Chloe is under strict control, her retractable leash is not left unlocked when people, bikes, children, cars, anything is near.

The one I find irritating is the moron that says "more dog stories should end like this" And I still hope he comes back as a bug. No, maybe a lower form of life than a bug - or maybe as a turd.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Call me cold

And I have a dog (presently keeping my retired father company) and love dogs. But, at the same time any dog that decides to use me as practice target for testing of his teeth may rest in doggy hell for all I care. I know we like to blame the owners, but ultimately when the dog is pulling me off the bike and my calve is opening up like butterflyed filet mignon I'm not caring too much about the owners at that moment. I have no idea what the desire of the dog was and the owner should have been a heck of a lot smarter with the leash, but a charging dog gets little sympathy from me. If anyone feels otherwise, come ride with me over Geiger Grade into Virginia City, and you too can feel the wrath of demon white dog. Friggin' thing has been trying to kill me for over a year now and ambushes from out of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
There are times I have felt like that.

snapdragen said:
The one I find irritating is the moron that says "more dog stories should end like this"
When Miss M was sitting there on the road with blood streaming down into her shoe I would have gladly shot every dog in sight-several times each. Now whenever a dog chases after her I am very careful to put myself between her and it......

Then I go after the owner with a few well chosen words......

Still in the heat of the moment it is hard to remember that the danger we have been put into is the fault of the owner not the animal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts