Votes: 3 3.4%
  • A hardcore Anti Poser/ Poser FooFoo part Police

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I notice at RBR Photo Gallery there is alway some kind of brutal poser bashing going on. My thinking is that the nature of cycling inevitably brings some degree of poser-ness into equation of being a cyclist having need to wear colorful gears and having the choice given to cyclists from the MFGs. I am wonderin what's everyone's stance is in this matter.

So R U A Poser or A Poser Basher?

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I have a fine appreciation of all things cycling

So, guess how I voted. I have a nice (read: expensive) bike, I don't race (anymore), I wear colorful non-team jersies, so does that make me a poseur??? I don't think so.

Paul

P.S. To bring up an old poseur-thread response: who cares as long as they are riding a bike! The only label we are need or deserve is "cyclist". Period.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
PaulCL said:
So, guess how I voted. I have a nice (read: expensive) bike, I don't race (anymore), I wear colorful non-team jersies, so does that make me a poseur??? I don't think so.

Paul

P.S. To bring up an old poseur-thread response: who cares as long as they are riding a bike! The only label we are need or deserve is "cyclist". Period.
I've got to agree with you Paul. I like nice expensive bikes and equipment. The only team jersey I own is a La Vie Claire so unless someone is as old as me, they probably wouldn't understand it anyway.

I do get statisfaction out of being able to wear clothing that most 46 year olds can't. However this time of year, I'd probably look better as a Derny driver ;)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I find this line of threads hilarious.

I don't care much what people wear. A few weeks ago I saw a rider come through an intersection @ about 20 mph wearing full USPS regalia. It was less than 20 degrees F and there was plenty of sand on the road and icy patches on the shoulders. The idea that some kind of reverse snobbery would label that rider a poseur is incomprehensible to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose U could be...

Jed Peters said:
Why can't you be both?
all of the above but the final result wouldn't amount to much then.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Uh... what?

My, God, what are there, 10 categories? I have a bike, some bike clothes, a helmet, I ride, I have some waterbottles... is that bad? Dude, I have no freakin' idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you realize your skill level you are not

lsnfa said:
I notice at RBR Photo Gallery there is alway some kind of brutal poser bashing going on. My thinking is that the nature of cycling inevitably brings some degree of poser-ness into equation of being a cyclist having need to wear colorful gears and having the choice given to cyclists from the MFGs. I am wonderin what's everyone's stance is in this matter.

Turned 50 last summer. Bought my first and only roadbike--Colnago Master X light. I know that I would be last to the START line not to mention the finish line. I love to ride but do it mostly alone. I am embarrassed by my lack of speed on the flats and hills. Know I should not care but......... Also, I do not want to get in the way of the better riders.
My longest ride is 62 miles. Took me 5 hrs total but I did do what I set out to do. This year I have already committed to a MS 150 ride and my other goal is the century mark.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'd be more of a poser...

But I don't like bibs so most of the euro team gear doesn't appeal to me. Love the gloves though :D
have seen people in full poser wardrobe just ambling along..which is fine. And I have been blown by a guy wearing cammo pants with his shirt tucked in his pants.

Doesn't matter. All are enjoying their bikes and thats whats its all about. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
So much of an anti-poseur, that some might think I was not being entirely honest.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm a poseur

I own nine or ten team jerseys and one full team kit. I only wear one or two non-team jerseys. Oh, and I'm slow to!

lsnfa said:

·
Overweight, aging athlete
63 Posts
I'm a geezer in bike clothes on the best bike I could put my buttocks on. I smile a lot and get dropped a lot. Oh, well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't raced for years, but I was never one to invest much money chi chi equipment. OK, I did own a custom C-Record Marinoni, then I came to my senses and have used lower-grouppo, factory-made bikes ever since. I find that I get no fitter on $4K bike than a $1K bike. In fact, the technology has improved so much that I like my new $1K bike better than that old $2.5K Marinoni(in 1989). I try to use the cheapest equipment that does the job 98% as well as brand-name, yet there are a few things that I have learned can't be compromised: cycling shorts. I have 3 pair of $100+ shorts, and wouldn't have anything less. Good Sidi shoes are a close second. Jerseys: fuggedaboudit - they don't do much for you. I don't mind others decked out in Vegas-Lights_Euro-Team colours, though - there are so many of those around here like that that it nicely colours this city's scenery. (lots of pros and a few World Champs live locally, too).

One of the old club buddies was a fantastically talented champion racer, and yet you could find him riding in cotten T's sometimes. Another acquaintance was a major regional champion, and National Cross champ - but didn't mind racing a sponsor's middling MTB offering (sub$1K racing mountain bike). Most important thing to impress me is just be riding, period. Freds: I love ya. Keep it up. Poser-bashers be dammmed! :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Neither. Both.

Wait a minute.

OK. I pose, therefore I am.

And if you pose better than me, you are a poser and I'm not.

Except sometimes.

I hope that clears things up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gotta love posers

Why does anyone care about Posers unless they themselves are arrogant or jealous? The way I see it, Posers who buy top end equipment and clothes are fueling the economy and helping bike companies stay in business and grow. This helps our sport for which we should all be thankful. So I say, thank you Posers. Buy, buy, buy! If you are having a good time, I'm happy for you. I like buying new gear too, so I'm doing my part. We are all people who like bicycling in one form or another so let's all stick together and worry important things like traffic and crazy drivers.

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
This is who I am.

(from my own comments posted on the bike gallery---

Man you really are a bad mofu aren't you?
Posted By: Complexed Quebec Power Posted On: 2/7/2004 9:28:02 AM
I own and ride a very ordinary Giant TCR2. I wish I had a better bike. It would not make me faster, but I like the beautiful thing a bike is. My favorite dream bike happens to be the carbon TCR. Very pricy. When you appreciate life, sometimes you can consider owning things for their aesthetical value... Who does it disturb? Imbeciles like you.

I'm old now. And not so fast. But I would give a lot to see you at my age. That's if you can make it through life with this attitude...

It's one thing to be arrogant. But arrogant AND ignorant? We all know it's the engine that counts. Go and play with your inferior lugs now. And try to make a difference; be nice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In that case you should click on 6th poll choice...

Gator said:
My, God, what are there, 10 categories? I have a bike, some bike clothes, a helmet, I ride, I have some waterbottles... is that bad? Dude, I have no freakin' idea.
You see I knew there might be some of you :p In your case you belong to 6th poll choice -the "Oblivious" catagory which is good and healthy approach to cycling :) But you know there are people out there with some serious problems :D :

-own over $10,000 bike(s)
-own many a single components costing many $$$
-own a few over $2000 CF wheelsets
-own over 10 bikes and going and going type
-own enough helmets, shorts, jerseys, shoes etc. to need a separate closet (or a room.)
-etc. etc.

I know that those are some extreme examples but there are many who falls inbetween your type to the above extremes.

You can consider yourself 'blessed w/o the desease :confused: ' OR 'don't know what you're missing :cool: ' depend on how you look at it and where you are (see the result of this poll.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That ain't haiku, is it?

Just Mike said:
Neither. Both.

Wait a minute.

OK. I pose, therefore I am.

And if you pose better than me, you are a poser and I'm not.

Except sometimes.

I hope that clears things up.
:D :D :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts