Votes: 3 3.4%
  • A hardcore Anti Poser/ Poser FooFoo part Police

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
No hardcore anti posers/poser foofoo part police?

It's hard to believe after seeing all the crap I read on the RBR Photo Gallery and other places :rolleyes: .

I guess I shoulda made the 10th catagory A CLOSET- or A TROLL- HARDCORE ANTI-POSER/POSER FOOFOO PART POLICE :D .

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
like most polls it's how you ask the question

This one is true to form. It is clear it is designed to elicit a response that if favorable to the "posers" and negative towards the "poser bashers".

The only answer I could give was that I was a poser basher because i could not afford the high end stuff. I can afford it but being a cheap SOB it's against my religion to buy it. The answer in regards to a racer who feels the posers don't deserve the good stuff does not fit, it is simply a matter of spending money foolishly.

It's okay to buy the stuff if that's your thing and you don't look down on the others, but in reality it does not make you or the bike any faster, it just makes the bike look a little cooler (with the possible exception of some of the high end real aero wheels). And makes the wallet a lot lighter, but that weight loss has an insignificant impact on speed.

I love to race and I'm competative by nature, if I see a bike in front of me I catch up. (I just can't stop myself) I will ussally say hello and start a conversation. If they give me aires because I or the bike looks Fred (I/it does by the way) I drop their sorry asses. If I can't drop them, I give a friendly salute to their real abilities and the challenge.

I've considered putting together a Super Fred bike starting with a Huffy frame. Then Go to the races and drop the 5k rockets. Oh the shame of being dropped by a Huffy. I know one guy that wins races on an old steel Bridgestone. So far I have only placed maybe this year I can pull in a win.

·
Administrator
13,001 Posts
Meh. Just ride already. An 8K euro rocket or an $800 Specialized Allez- does it really matter what the other guy is riding. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't care as long as the person is riding. I don't have any team jerseys but I wear MTB shoes even for the occasional race in the past. I'm finally going to get some road shoes this year as I'm going to be racing more. My outfits usually clash. You'll see me wearing black shorts/tights with a blue shirt and yellow arm warmers for example. Whatever. I mostly buy gear when it's on sale.

Unless they are a poser AND have a bad attitude. I don't have a road bike to ride right now due to a frame issue, I'm riding my cheapo mountain bike on the road for training until I get my road bike back. It is not that bad actually except for having a max gear of 44x11 which I can spin out pretty easily.

I caught a group of guys on the road last weekend who I was quite a bit faster than, they obviously hadn't been training much this year. They were kind of snotty to me, the weather is nasty here and most are riding beater bikes. They were all on very nice clean expensive bikes and very nice matching outfits, and acted a little weird seeing me on a mountain bike with slicks. I could have easily dropped them without going anaerobic, especially on a hill. I caught them on a 1/2 mile easy uphill while I was eating a powerbar. It is retarded when roadies are like that.

Ben

·
Registered
330 Posts
I enjoy myself!

That's the point isn't it?
I ride and wear what I can afford.
I've been dropped by guys riding massive MTB's
and I've dropped young bucks pushing $$$Ti.
It's all relative

cheers

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Not sure bout geezer but me too...

Geezer said:
I'm a geezer in bike clothes on the best bike I could put my buttocks on. I smile a lot and get dropped a lot. Oh, well.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Agreed but...

bimini said:
This one is true to form. It is clear it is designed to elicit a response that if favorable to the "posers" and negative towards the "poser bashers".

The only answer I could give was that I was a poser basher because i could not afford the high end stuff. I can afford it but being a cheap SOB it's against my religion to buy it. The answer in regards to a racer who feels the posers don't deserve the good stuff does not fit, it is simply a matter of spending money foolishly.

It's okay to buy the stuff if that's your thing and you don't look down on the others, but in reality it does not make you or the bike any faster, it just makes the bike look a little cooler (with the possible exception of some of the high end real aero wheels). And makes the wallet a lot lighter, but that weight loss has an insignificant impact on speed.

I love to race and I'm competative by nature, if I see a bike in front of me I catch up. (I just can't stop myself) I will ussally say hello and start a conversation. If they give me aires because I or the bike looks Fred (I/it does by the way) I drop their sorry asses. If I can't drop them, I give a friendly salute to their real abilities and the challenge.

I've considered putting together a Super Fred bike starting with a Huffy frame. Then Go to the races and drop the 5k rockets. Oh the shame of being dropped by a Huffy. I know one guy that wins races on an old steel Bridgestone. So far I have only placed maybe this year I can pull in a win.
Not everyone on a nice bike gets their feelings hurt because they are dropped by a Fred on a Huffy, only the ones with the delusion that their nice light bike will make them a super hero racer.

Spending money "Foolishly" is irrelevant concerning objects of desire. It makes them happy to have it.

And also just because someone's riding a nice bike you can't assume that he or she is looking down at Freds; that may have something to do with what goes thru in Fred's head and probably self conjured. It's that "mumble factor" that sometimes when someone sees something nice they can't have that involuntary mumbling in the head happens.

Lastly, you can't say someone who's going along at thier own slow pace on a nice bike is concerned about what someone else is riding or doing and having a terrible time on a his or her beaucoup bucks bike. I am smiling everytime I get on my nice bike and I am just working on my thing. Not everyone is racer or are competing everytime they get on a bicycle.

Having said that, I am seen on my inexpensive trainer bike half the times and I do not ride with the list of all the nice bikes and components I have on the back of my jersey. It's a mute point whether someone next to me is riding a nice bike or not.

All :) :) :) :) :) s

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am a Poseur Basher from Hell!

I can't help myself. Posing is bad for cycling. It makes us all look bad.

I have nothing against cyclists - even slow ones! - riding very nice bikes. I own a couple of them myself. But if you pushing your mint Trek 5900 Superlight up a 4% grade, even though you have a "racing triple", you wasted your money. If the idea is to look cool and stylish in your team kit, you're not accomplishing the goal.

Wear your teams jerseys, even though some of them are hideously ugly. However, the full kit thing is WAY over the top. A racer can maybe pull it off, since strong riding impresses even the non-cyclists, but the Fat Freds poking around at 14 mph just look silly.

Even the hotshots out here have to chuck the matching cycling caps. Just wear a helmet like everybody else.

If you are old and have a gut, by all means, keep riding your bike. Get stronger. Lose a couple of pounds. Invest your energy into improving your performance. Forget about the style show that's backfiring. Imagine yourself as the fat guy at the mall who's sporting the Kobe Bryant official team jersey. He has a 2 inch vertical jump and couldn't hit a lay up. He looks silly. There's a lesson there.

Again, I am all for nice bikes. Do you really need the latest 2.2 lb. CAAD9 aluminum frame equipped with Campy Record? Take that money and get a good builder to make you a lugged steel bike with some class. You say you can't climb, so weight isn't an issue.

There's no better way to impress than by having a classy bike made for you. It shows you KNOW about cycling. You won't need a team kit. You won't need to pose.

It's all a question of balance and perspective.

Stop posing and start cycling!

Plus Vite ...que toi???

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ha Ha Ha, I totally agree...

except for the custom bike part since I don't have one. I am thinking about a custom steel fixie though.

BTW yer no Poser Basher from Hell. What you say is totally reasonable especially :D since I only own one team jersey(not even a famous one; La Praire - I bought it because I needed a colorful jersey and it was cheap and not too crazy looking.) Oh, I also have a Colnago hat that I wear under my helmet to keep the bugs out and a Colnago roubianx(spelling?) winter jacket that was dumped on me by my lbs - a good looking totally functional winter jacket that keeps you totally dry and warm. I have to be the mood to wear it though. I like Oktos jersey but I could never manage to get one my size! But I hardly ever wear team jersey because I am never in the mood to wear them.

The Posher Basher I was refering to are more like people who pick on someone's Ksyrium wheelsets, Nags, or CF parts etc.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Whatever, dude...

plus_vite said:
...Imagine yourself as the fat guy at the mall who's sporting the Kobe Bryant official team jersey. He has a 2 inch vertical jump and couldn't hit a lay up. He looks silly. There's a lesson there...
Really? I disagree. I go to professional football games. There are 70 year old women wearing John Elway jerseys. Does that mean they're trying to pass themselves off as the Man?

If you have a Nomar jersey, are you trying to show the world you're an awesome shortstop?

No.

If someone has a team jersey, maybe they just happen to like the jersey. Maybe that's how they show support for a sport they care about. Maybe they like how it matches their bike. Maybe they're posing. What the hell do you care? Cycling is not some provincial little esoteric sport that only a few can be privileged to "understand". That whole attitude reminds me of the punk scene from twenty years ago.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts