Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Dr. Michele Ferrari was convicted 2 years ago Lance and the team issued a statement that they were severing all ties with him...If this is the case why is he now working with Tom Danielson and Popovich?

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I don't know that it really matters- working with Ferrarri is like having a bull's-eye on your back for doping control.

It is odd how since moving to Europe, it seems "everyone knows" that Armstrong and the entire peloton is/was doped. Living in the US most people seemed to believe he was clean... sort of like the OJ public opinion that was split along racial lines.

·
Registered
202 Posts
americans have a distorted view because they want to believe he's innocent. "our good ole' boy couldn't be doing that..." the pros will do anything to win...and make lots of money.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is asking this question Trolling? If Disco states that it is cutting it ties with the most notorious, convicted doping doctor in cycling and then its two biggest future stars start using him as a coach.....You do not find this a little strange?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Not really...

surftel said:
How is asking this question Trolling? If Disco states that it is cutting it ties with the most notorious, convicted doping doctor in cycling and then its two biggest future stars start using him as a coach.....You do not find this a little strange?
Not really when you consider that Ferrari is hands down one of the best cycling coaches in the world. He got Lance 7 Tours. Why not a few more for others? Was Ferrari dirty? He might have been, but it doesn't make him any less of a good coach honestly, the man knows his stuff when it comes to training and racing and getting the most out of his athletes. Look at Hamilton. He got busted right? His coach is Cecchini (sp?) just as notorious as Ferrari, or even more so, and there are still tons of people working with him. Ferrari is a hot commodity in the world of cycling, and if you can afford his services, he'll make you fast.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
cocoboots said:
i thought lances coach was carmichael? was ferrari just taking care of the medical side?
Carmichael took care of the marketing side, Ferrari everything else. :)

LA said he was cutting ties but I don't remember the team actually saying they were (it would have been an admission that there were ties with the team if they did). Since LA is involved in the ownership of so many companies, like CTS, Ferrari could still have been paid through one of them and maintain plausible deniability for LA anyway.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Press release

Some quotes from the press release after Ferrari was convicted

"Dr Ferrari has been a longtime friend and trusted adviser to me and the US Postal team"

"I am not surprised by that verdict. However, I have always said that I have zero tolerance for anyone convicted of using or facilitating the use of performance-enhancing drugs. As a result of today's developments, the USPS team and I have suspended our professional affiliation with Dr. Ferrari"

Has something changed?

·
Registered
202 Posts
something has changed...it's the discovery team now and lance is gone. i agree with the above comment about the world knowing most/ if not all racers dope to some extent during their career, but the americans playing dumb and ignore it. for the longest time, I didn't want to believe they were using drugs.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
surftel said:
Some quotes from the press release after Ferrari was convicted

"Dr Ferrari has been a longtime friend and trusted adviser to me and the US Postal team"

"I am not surprised by that verdict. However, I have always said that I have zero tolerance for anyone convicted of using or facilitating the use of performance-enhancing drugs. As a result of today's developments, the USPS team and I have suspended our professional affiliation with Dr. Ferrari"

Has something changed?
I think a USPS press release would be more indicative of policy since Lance was not the official spokesman, but more interestingly in retrospect he also says "professional affiliation", not all association and "suspended" rather than terminated. Lance has always had a way with words.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts