Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let's say they never find actual water on Mars.

What would it take to convince you that there was water on Mars?

Expert testimony?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any sedimentary rocks found will indicate that:

Flip Flash said:

Expert testimony?
This rocks must have been deposited by running water/into standing water in larger depressions and later consolidated into solid rocks. Basic geology.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Flip Flash said:

Expert testimony?
I'm waiting for the Biblical Literalists to weigh in, they always know the answer :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
It may be burried somewhere in Iraq.

or it may have been moved to Iran. It may have been destroyed, or given to terrorist groups. We will continue to look until all the oil........ I mean, all the water is out of Iraq.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Actually....

noam said:
This rocks must have been deposited by running water/into standing water in larger depressions and later consolidated into solid rocks. Basic geology.
That's not right. Sedimentary rocks need not have been transported and deposited by water. Aeolian sandstone is the most obvious example of a sedimentary rock not transported by water.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is correct but

Tri_Rich said:
That's not right. Sedimentary rocks need not have been transported and deposited by water. Aeolian sandstone is the most obvious example of a sedimentary rock not transported by water.
Aeolian sedimenrary rock and layered volcanic deposits (mainly ashes) are not water deposited. However, these type of rocks are predominant on our planet.

Are you a geologist?. I am

·
Registered
281 Posts
noam said:
Aeolian sedimenrary rock and layered volcanic deposits (mainly ashes) are not water deposited. However, these type of rocks are predominant on our planet.

Are you a geologist?. I am

My undergrad degree is in Geology. I did my honors research on forams at the Eocene/Oligocene boundary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts