Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question primarily for the hobbyist wheelbuilder. From a n00bie wheelbuilder who just finished his debut wheelset earlier this spring (350 miles so far and still true), I am curious to know:

1) How many wheelsets have you ever built for YOURSELF?

2) How many of those are you still using?

3) How many have you given away or sold used because you no longer wanted or needed them?

4) How many have you junked or rebuilt because of component failure or inexperienced wheelbuilder error?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Here are my answers based on building my own wheels for about 3 years :
1. Seven
2. Six
3. One....I built a set using DA Hubs and Kinlin 200 rims that prooved to be too light for me. Sold them to a friend and his wife uses them on her travel bike. Still going strong and they've been to Switzerland and France several times too. I've since built him two other sets of wheels that are their everyday riders.
4. None.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
This is a question primarily for the hobbyist wheelbuilder. From a n00bie wheelbuilder who just finished his debut wheelset earlier this spring (350 miles so far and still true), I am curious to know:

3) How many have you given away or sold used because you no longer wanted or needed them?

4) How many have you junked or rebuilt because of component failure or inexperienced wheelbuilder error?
1. Lost track because there have been so many over the decades. Probably a couple of dozen, and maybe as many as 30

2. 7

3. none

4. in several hundred thousand miles I have had one hub flange crack. Several rims have cracked at the spoke holes, typically after many thousands (as many as 60 thousand) miles. So perhaps 10 failures?

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I'm just a couple of years into building wheels. So I'm a has been n00b.

0 - but I built a wheelset for my brother-in-law as a X-mas gift.

1 - my first. I double booked the impact of nipple washers on spoke length and wound up buy spokes too long - they bottomed out. I tore down the wheels and rebuilt them with double washers and after that they were fine. Not really recommended, but fine.

I find build wheels a rather good way to get my brain back into cycling after a cold winter. And today I got to take my first ride on my latest build on a brand new bike. Life is good!

·
Registered
4,493 Posts

Maybe a couple dozen.

3 pair. The other wheels eventually wore out. I have 3 bikes, one pair on each bike.

1 pair. I sold the tubulars I built decades ago when I realized they weren't worth the hassle.

None. I've never had a hub fail such that I had to junk it. Same with rims. If I built a wheel that was bad, I merely loosened all the spokes and started from scratch using the same parts.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I've built 5 wheelsets to date, 4 for me and 1 for my wife; I plan to build two more sets in the next month, including my first wheelset with carbon rims.

I am riding on 3 of the sets I built and my wife is riding the set I built her.

I sold the first set I built. I put 2,500 miles on them and they were still perfectly true, but they were a much-discussed rim that's hard to install tires on, and I decided life was too short.

4) How many have you junked or rebuilt because of component failure or inexperienced wheelbuilder error?[/QUOTE]

1. And I also made some other mistakes along the way:

The first set of wheels I built I had trued by a professional wheelbuilder just to be safe and also to see how well I did.

The second set I built was for a disc brake CX bike, and I built then 24/28 with Laser spokes. I should have built them 28/28, and given that they were my second set of wheels I probably should have used a spoke that's easier to build with. I did not realize how much torque a front disc brake puts on a front wheel, and I did not have enough tension in the front wheel spokes. It went out of true, but didn't cause any major problems. I ended up taking a long time to retrue both wheels and they've been solid now for over 2,000 miles on really rough terrain.

The third set I built were fairly cheap kinlin rims with laser spokes and alloy nipples. I did not oil the nipples properly and as I brought them up to tension the nipples begin to bind/dig into the soft aluminnum rim. I mistook this binding for spoke windup and high tension in the spokes and ended up leaving the wheels without enough tension. I then got a spoke tension meter and brass nipples for the rear DS and rebuilt the rear wheel. It's been solid (my wife's bike) for 1500 miles.

I built the fourth and fifth sets with CX Ray spokes and used a tension meter. Both built up beautifully and quickly and have been rock solid, and I was confident they would be.

In the future I know I could build good wheels with laser spokes, but for me it's worth it to buy the bladed CX Ray's just because they are SO easy to build with. I also know I can build a wheel without a tension meter, but it's nice to check your work and it makes things a bit easier.

I'll be building my first offset rim next week, and when my carbon rims come in I'll try that out...

Wheelbuilding is hard and fun. I love it. Can't imagine EVER riding on wheels that I didn't build myself.

And I've said this before, but I think it's worth thanking him again: I don't think I would have been able to embark on this journey without Mike T's fantastic website, along with his help and encouragement here.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
And I've said this before, but I think it's worth thanking him again: I don't think I would have been able to embark on this journey without Mike T's fantastic website, along with his help and encouragement here.
Wow thanks. What a great story.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts

1) 12 wheel-sets for myself

2) All are in use. Some spend most of their time hunging from the rafters because I don't switch as much as I used to do

3) None from this bunch

4) None. Have not had a component failure just out of use yet. Whatever I had happened was due to something else causing the failure.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Same here! Only one year ago, I never thought I would have successfully built my own wheels!

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
This is a question primarily for the hobbyist wheelbuilder.
I'm a hobbyist wheelbuilder so I'll have a go.

That would be impossible to estimate. I've been doing 'em since 1962 and between new wheelsets, rim, hub and spoke swaps for road, MTB, dirt-road and track, it's gotta be into the hundreds. I have built wheels for others but I never charge $0.01 so I guess I'm still a hobbyist. I got a Tim Horton's coffee once so I guess I'm semi-pro.

Maybe 8-10 sets.

That's not possible to answer.

Lots. Between rims busted in races, hubs worn out, spokes needing replacing, it's lots. I don't remember any total wheel failures but in the early days, before I realized that "equal tensions" meant more than anything (with sufficient tension right behind), I did have some spoke breakages (1 per year maybe). Since I took up wheels and wheelbuilding as my passion (20 years ago?) there has been zero spoke breakages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts