Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to San Francisco last weekend for a little Barleywine Festival beer judging. We managed to squeeze in a little recreational drinking while we were at it. Beer judging is hard work you know, it really works up a thirst.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It was a cold weekend in the city. The only way to stay warm was inside a cozy bar...

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
San Francisco is quite a town. Everybody should check it out at least once. The architecture is a real treat to see.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
rwbadley said:
It was a cold weekend in the city. The only way to stay warm was inside a cozy bar...
I need to get my ass to the legendary Toronado. Others may say it's not the hippest bar around, but the selection of draught beers draws afficianados all the way from the east coast.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mickey-mac said:
I need to get my ass to the legendary Toronado. Others may say it's not the hippest bar around, but the selection of draught beers draws afficianados all the way from the east coast.
Indeed, they have a great selection of incredible brew. Belgian Ale out the wazoo.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Toronado = Fo Shizzle!!!!

World class beer bar. An old friend (Tad) tends bar/bounces their.

I'm jealous!!!

Barleywine...mmmm (my brother found a corner story in SF that was getting rid of their "old" sierra nevada Bigfoot. He's got 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02

Just had some 06....good stuff (as always).

The older the better!!! and only $7.49!!!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Just planning a trip like that....

My wife and I met in college in San Jose, and for a big treat we used to dig the nickels out from under the seat of her VW, empty my tip jar from The Hitch Rack Bar and drive north 50 miles to the City to hang out. This was so long ago (1969-70) that cappuccino was an exotic drink. The only place I knew of where you could get it was a restaurant on Columbus Ave in North Beach, originally the Italian part of SF. I used to order it occasionally, and people would say, "You spent 50 cents for COFFEE?"
There was a bar called the Buena Vista down near the cable-car turnaround at Aquatic Park (the cable car was real transportation in those days--cost 15 cents; today I think it's five bucks, a major tourist attraction). Irish coffee supposedly was introduced to the U.S. by an SF Chronicle columnist named Stanton Delaplane who convinced the owner of the BV to make it, and it was the signature drink there. So we'd park downtown, spend 30 cents on the cable car, ride 20 minutes or so through the fog and over the hills to the Bay side--the single most romantic and scenic mode and route of travel ever devised--walk around the waterfront looking at ships and listening to seagulls, then warm up in the BV with a couple of Irish coffees and ride the cable back to the car. We're going to go do it again the first weekend we have free.
Holy crap, I spent more on a cappuccino this morning than those entire evenings used to cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts