Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A nice 20 mile burner last friday after work since there was a 70% chance of rain all weekend. It was hotter than I expected. 87+ and humid. The storm front was moving in and I could see some dark clouds rolling in on my ride.
I discovered that they finally built up the canoe launch on the local Blackstone River in Sutton,Ma. Last year I went by here in the summer and the field was marked off but not much progress. Not sure if they built it in the fall of last year or this spring. The obelisk looks pretty new. The bricks on it have names of people who I guess donated money to the mini park and boat launch. It's a small area along the Blackstone River that, in the master plan, is supposed to create a trail from Worcester,Ma to Providence,RI. This section will make a great rest stop. Large parts are done, but there is still alot of towns that need to build some trail. The waterfall goes under the local country road. If you walk over the road and stop in the middle, the falls are really loud. The road bridge and bottom of the falls make for a nice noise chamber. It's so serene above the falls. then you can heard the force of the water. Pretty cool stuff for a quick break. The only thing you can't see is the granite chairs built for a giant. 3 slabs of granite about 1 foot x 3 foot. One the seat and 2 arm rests. There was 4 of them. Nice rock benches for 2 right by the river. :)
Well, it was a nice ride after work and I sweated my eyeballs out and there was some nice scenery, so mission accomplished.. Enjoy....

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A view over the river

as the clouds were moving in and the last of the sun was setting. Time to high tail it home before dark. :)

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Haha, Lol

NO, I wouldn't recommend swimming in any part of the Blackstone. It had alot of old tanning mills ect. on it many moons ago. But there is a feeder river and the Silver Lake has a nice swimming area with several docks for swimmig. You can feel the springs shooting up as you swim. This is on the West River which feeds in to the Blackstone about 10 miles away.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't but it appears they used a back hoe...

to dig out a trench in to the bank next to the river . It's protected by a small penninsula of land with trees that leave the water calm but deep. I thought it odd that the gravelled path had hand rails on both sides but it makes it handicap accessible since it goes right down to the water. :) I'll stop by there and post some more pics of the area in a couple of days so you can get a better idea how it's laid out.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
That first pic is a definite winner. Very artsy. Nice report.

· Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE:part deaux

Here are some more pics of the area for pigpen and tarwheel2. I've never posted a ride that had another ride to compliment a previous post. :p Sorry for the harsh pics but it was sunny out this evening and it was right in my face. We had some rain today and there was more water going over the falls making it much louder. I walked over the road bridge and there was this cool spider web on the rail. When standing over the falls, it seemded like they were oscillating. and loud. As I rode away I could still hear the falls 100 feet up the road. I'd like to see what's behind the falls. As far as local water parks go, sure there is bigger and better but this little slice of heaven is just what the doctor ordered. As I sat there looking out birds started flying around and skimming the water. I think they were barn swallows. Then a big red cardinal flew by. When I crossed the road to see the new portage trail for circumnavigating the bridge, I startled and was startled by a huge red tailed hawk high up on a branch overlooking the lower portion of the Blackstone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.