Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of my basses and my rig ;)

I just hooked up with an old buddy of mine who was looking for a bass player, so u said I'd do it. It's not exactly what I want to be playing, but the music isn't that bad. I think it will imporve a lot if they let me work with the bass lines. It's not that I'm a fantastic bassist, or that they're terrible at it. It's that two guitarists made and recorded the bass part for the four songs they have and they're a little boring. I don't mind simple - I love simple, actually. They could use a little livening up though.

So here's the gear:

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Of my basses and my rig ;)

I just hooked up with an old buddy of mine who was looking for a bass player, so u said I'd do it. It's not exactly what I want to be playing, but the music isn't that bad. I think it will imporve a lot if they let me work with the bass lines. It's not that I'm a fantastic bassist, or that they're terrible at it. It's that two guitarists made and recorded the bass part for the four songs they have and they're a little boring. I don't mind simple - I love simple, actually. They could use a little livening up though.

So here's the gear:
How do you like that G&L? I've always thought they were criminally underrated, both in basses and guitars. They don't sound like Fenders, and I think people always kind of expect that they will (since Leo Fender is the L in G&L), so they're let down. But the quality is tops, and the sounds can be quite nice.

Good luck with the band gig. Our band is on the verge of accepting a show this summer that will require us to have some original material, which is totally scary--what idiots accept a gig before they have the required material?--but I think it'll be really fun.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I absolutley love my G&L. it's got an origional Kahler tremolo on it too, which makes it one of a kind (I'm hoping to convince them to cover "John the Fisherman" in the future so I can give it some stage use if we get that far... and if the drummer that is coming on board is up to the task).

And yes, G&L, imho, is extremely underrated and don't get the play they deserve. I'm actually suprised they're not used for metal, rock, and punk stuff more often because the pups are so dang hot. I run mine in passive mode 90% of the time and it sounds more hot than most full active basses I've played. Not to mention that the G&L factory is right up the street from my house... which is just kind of cool :)

The G&L's do have their own unique sound, and I think it's really a bummer that most people play them trying to get the sound of another bass out of them. People always ask me "Can you make it sound like a P or a Jazz bass?!" And truthfully you can get pretty close to either (even pretty close to a Stingray) but, like anything, it's lacking from the origional. Once I got my P and strung it with flats, I threw some roundwoungs on the G&L and fell in love with it even more. All the time I had been trying to get a Precision bass sound from my G&L and was getting a little disapointed. Once I got an actual P and was able to look at the G&L as its own instrument with its own sound, it opened up an entirely new world for me.

And that's one of the main reasons I'm really looking foreward to this band thing. Sure, it's not the music i want to play, really, but it will give me a chance to push my G&L and help me find my own voice and tone through that bass. I don't know if that makes muck sense to most people, but I'm thinking that most musicians will get it... hoping at least... because if not I think I may have to check myself in :)

joe

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
Nice P-bass. A friend that I jam with has two G&Ls along with a P-bass and an old MusicMan. He likes the G&Ls the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts