Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I've done crits, I race cross. I warm up for each. What about road races? Do you bother? It's shortish (27 miles for 4/5s).
Thx.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Kram said:
Ok. I've done crits, I race cross. I warm up for each. What about road races? Do you bother? It's shortish (27 miles for 4/5s).
Thx.
If it's me.... YES. Particularly for a shortish race, the pace is likely to be high from the start. I'd warm up the same way I would for a 40k TT and go to the start with a good sweat, but not winded.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i think for something that distance, i'd be warmed up. that can't be too long of a race time wise.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
There is a common misconception that road races are long and you don't need a warm up. Well, the length of your road race is only 27 miles. The shortest crit that I did last year was 29.8 miles. What's the difference? There isn't any. I know that it's 4/5 but it's not inconceivable that this could be raced like a crit. I would warm up and prepare for a 60 minute crit.

Besides, figure that the guys in 4/5 aren't going to be patient enough to let the race develop so it's probably going to have some madness from the start. If that's the case, the guys with a solid warm up will have a real advantage over the guys starting cold.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx. That's what I was thinking.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Agree 100% with the above responses. Once a race gets over 100 km (60 miles) then the warmup is less important but even then it can depend on the race course and the conditions. For example, if it is windy and there is a long crosswind section, being warmed up and ready to rip is important. I have seen 140 km races decided after 7 km on windy courses. Also, if there is an early hard climb it is a good idea to warm up well, especially if you are not a climber. Finally, if your plan or team role is to go in the early break in a long race, it is good to be warmed up and ready to attack multiple times.

I try to get in a 20-30 minute warmup regardless of the race distance, because I am a diesel engine and I am slow to get going. I have had teammates in the past who could sit in the team van right until the start of the race and then ride 50 km/h from the gun. Freaks.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I once did a 45 miler where it was raining before the race started. I rode around in the rain, but never got a proper warm up. I noticed a few guys on their trainers under a shelter, warming up.
Guess what........Bam! Right from the gun, I was in the gutter grabbing for wheels and getting gapped on the hills. I was blown before I rode 5 miles.
After that, I decided....never again.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Team role?" That's funny.:p Anywho, thx for the advice all. I'll be bringing my trainer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts