Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw him showing some good form in a race earlier this year and now Simeoni, of Armstrong spat fame, is the national champion of Italy!

He's gotta be in the twilight of his career, riding for a small Italian team. I suspect most cycling fans were not even aware he was still riding.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I saw him showing some good form in a race earlier this year and now Simeoni, of Armstrong spat fame, is the national champion of Italy!

He's gotta be in the twilight of his career, riding for a small Italian team. I suspect most cycling fans were not even aware he was still riding.

What else has he done other than that Armstrong Spt ?

Is Beloki still racing?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
bas said:

Is Beloki still racing?
Must've been something good enough to be selected for his team's tour squad. I don't think he was thinking about Armstrong or anything else in his past. To be National champ is a HUGE deal for Italians, to win over the names he beat? This was probably the best day of his life.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
davidka said:
Must've been something good enough to be selected for his team's tour squad.
It probably would be that - except that his team, Ceramica Flaminia-Bossini Docce, isn't going to the tour :)

Simeoni has had more than a few good days since the Armstrong debacle. Nothing Armstrong ever did turned me off more than the gangster-esque way he handled that. It was just embarassing to watch.

·
Banned
2,241 Posts
bas said:

Is Beloki still racing?
He won a stage of the Vuelta and a few other races. Winning like that over some very big name riders is impressive, add in that he is 37 and likely riding clear makes it even more so.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:

When I saw his name on cyclingnews.com yesterday I was wondering if it was that same rider.
I'm really happy for him.
I wonder if the peloton would treat him differently now? Back then they just abandoned him.

·
Registered
223 Posts
MG537 said:
When I saw his name on cyclingnews.com yesterday I was wondering if it was that same rider.
I'm really happy for him.
I wonder if the peloton would treat him differently now? Back then they just abandoned him.
I bet Pozzoto was beside himself finishing behind Simeoni as I recall that the former really gave it to the latter when Armstrong dragged Simeoni back to the bunch that year in the TdF. Pozzoto really strikes me as an old school rider who "prepares" in the manner prescribed by Ferrari, Checcini et al based on his actions and comments. Fair enough, if a guy wants to "prepare" go for it but don't be a bully and don't fault another rider for choosing otherwise. I have a real hard time with any rider who (while claiming to be clean) will state that anyone who speaks out about doping (for god's sake Simeoni was under oath in a criminal investigation and had little choice) is considered "bitter" and "is trying to destroy/does not belong in the sport" (hello LA about Simeoni/Bassons). Congrats bigtime to Simeoni!

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
serbski said:
I bet Pozzoto was beside himself finishing behind Simeoni as I recall that the former really gave it to the latter when Armstrong dragged Simeoni back to the bunch that year in the TdF.
Yes Pozzoto was one of the shits. Here is a good editorial to jog people's memory, under "Poetic Justice".

http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/

Remember Simeoni's only "crime" was testifying about Ferrari's role in his own doping, for which he was subsequently suspended (IIRC). He never named other riders.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Yes Pozzoto was one of the shits. Here is a good editorial to jog people's memory, under "Poetic Justice".

http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/

Remember Simeoni's only "crime" was testifying about Ferrari's role in his own doping, for which he was subsequently suspended (IIRC). He never named other riders.
Right on. Pozzoto really had some choice words for Mark Cavendish for siging one of those vaguely symbolic anti-doping pledges a while back. I hope Cavendish shows him his backside at every sprint those two contest. Honestly, if a guy wants to dope then pay your money and take your chances but lose the commentary. You know, I just realized that I absolutely cannot stand Pozzoto and his absurd hair and cheeseball eurotrash discoteque sense of "fashion". I'm sure he'll really up the clothing disaster ante when he starts hanging out over at Tinkov.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.